The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet 7 NHL teams staring into... cap hell

Rate this topic

Gurn

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true but they don't corner the market on every player, its just one factor. 

Point wants to stay in Tampa.  He's not going to sign an offer sheet.  For him to consider it has to be significantly more.  He's more likely to accept a lesser salary in Tampa to make it work cap wise.  He has already said he's open to any length of contract to make it work.

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Point wants to stay in Tampa.  He's not going to sign an offer sheet.  For him to consider it has to be significantly more.  He's more likely to accept a lesser salary in Tampa to make it work cap wise.  He has already said he's open to any length of contract to make it work.

thats different, if he wants to be there then its a no brainer for him to sign for a little less. 

12 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

JT MIller and Colin Miller are the two names that I would easily take on this team.  

JT Would fit nicely flanking Pettersson and Boeser, while Colin would give us that ever elusive RHD with a huge shot from the point to play on the PP unit. 

Considering how cap crunched Vegas and Tampa would be, I don't think the asking price would be huge to clear out their salaries. 

I wonder what the asking price for Colin Miller would be. We need a RHD. He's only 26 and put up 29 points in 65 games. Seems like a good fit for us. His contract seems decent at 3.875.

Edited by babalu

15 hours ago, Pears said:

Could we actually have a shot at nabbing someone like Point?

Yeah, like Tampa Bay is going to let go a 92 pts player, after winning the President trophy.  They are in a win now mode, Point is not going anywhere.

I don't understand why people keeps thinking that teams will cap problems will trade away their best players for cap relief....that is so stupid.  If you want to take advantage of a team with cap problems you don't go after Point or Marner, you go after their depth and you buy low (i.e. Kapanen, Johnsson, Killorn, JT Miller, etc.)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

JT MIller and Colin Miller are the two names that I would easily take on this team.  

JT Would fit nicely flanking Pettersson and Boeser, while Colin would give us that ever elusive RHD with a huge shot from the point to play on the PP unit. 

Considering how cap crunched Vegas and Tampa would be, I don't think the asking price would be huge to clear out their salaries. 

Canucks wouldn't be the only team trying to trade for them.  Tampa and Vegas can create a bidding war.  Both teams probably looking for picks and prospects given their cap situation.  

Leafs Nation is already on Colin Miller because of the Sault-Ste-Marie connection with Dubas.  

https://theleafsnation.com/2019/05/22/what-the-leafs-would-be-getting-in-colin-miller/

David Schoen of the Las Vegas review journal speculates that they could use him in a package to move up in the draft from 17th overall.  

Edited by mll

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats different, if he wants to be there then its a no brainer for him to sign for a little less. 

Him signing for a little less there will be equivalent to signing for a bit more in a higher tax area anyway. It'll take an ELC stud like EP (not that I think he's worth that) at this stage to pry away Point from them.

18 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

It would be something like Horvat for Callahan and Point, which is a good deal, but not if you're about to name Horvat captain.

What did Point do in the playoffs?  Horvat is a much more valuable player than Point.  220 pound, centers, who skate like the wind, score 30 goals, play 200 feet, are hard to play against, win millions of faceoffs, and are great leaders, are worth their weight in Gold.  These are the guys who lead teams to Cups.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What did Point do in the playoffs?  Horvat is a much more valuable player than Point.  220 pound, centers, who skate like the wind, score 30 goals, play 200 feet, are hard to play against, win millions of faceoffs, and are great leaders, are worth their weight in Gold.  These are the guys who lead teams to Cups.  

To be fair nobody on Tampa did squat in the playoffs but I’m sorry but as much as Canuck fans adore their players Brayden Point is an extremely valuable player coming off a 40 goal 90 point campaign and to say Horvat is MUCH more valuable is laughable. Horvat is great but people around here talk about him like he’s Jonathan Toews 

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

To be fair nobody on Tampa did squat in the playoffs but I’m sorry but as much as Canuck fans adore their players Brayden Point is an extremely valuable player coming off a 40 goal 90 point campaign and to say Horvat is MUCH more valuable is laughable. Horvat is great but people around here talk about him like he’s Jonathan Toews 

Playoff performance, and lack there of are very important.  That's just hockey.  Would the Jackets trade PLD for Point?  Of course not.  Checking centers, who put up big numbers, are needed to win Cups.  Point is just not that kind of guy.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Ducks and Oilers staring into cap hell... and they're garbage teams to boot. lmao

Leafs are going to be paying 4 forwards 40 million, or 50% of their Cap.  They are soon going to be bottom feeders.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Playoff performance, and lack there of are very important.  That's just hockey.  Would the Jackets trade PLD for Point?  Of course not.  Checking centers, who put up big numbers, are needed to win Cups.  Point is just not that kind of guy.  

:picard:.

Your basing your opinion off of one playoff series which was an anomaly. Tampa faced zero adversity all season and was primed to be upset but a hungry, battle tested Columbus team who had to fight tooth and nail to make it into the playoffs. It was eerily similar to 2012 when the 8th placed Kings steamrolled the president trophy winning Canucks. I can remember a few playoff series where our beloved Sedin Twins were absolute non factors in the playoffs too. So to say Point is a playoff non factor after this series is bogus.

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

:picard:.

Your basing your opinion off of one playoff series which was an anomaly. Tampa faced zero adversity all season and was primed to be upset but a hungry, battle tested Columbus team who had to fight tooth and nail to make it into the playoffs. It was eerily similar to 2012 when the 8th placed Kings steamrolled the president trophy winning Canucks. I can remember a few playoff series where our beloved Sedin Twins were absolute non factors in the playoffs too. So to say Point is a playoff non factor after this series is bogus.

Kings won two Cups with Kopitar leading the charge from the center spot.  These checking, two way, centers are supremely important.  Some would argue that Ryan Kesler was our best playoff performer in 2011.  Think about Cups won, and which teams had an elite (checking) center.  Crosby would head the list.  Guy is a checker, and a great scorer too.  So was Datsuyk. So was Forsberg.  So is Bergeron.  So is (was) Toews.  These guys are the key to winning Cups from the forward spot.  

Bo is way more valuable than Point.  If JB offered Bo for Point the Lightning would take that trade in a heart beat.  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kings won two Cups with Kopitar leading the charge from the center spot.  These checking, two way, centers are supremely important.  Some would argue that Ryan Kesler was our best playoff performer in 2011.  Think about Cups won, and which teams had an elite (checking) center.  Crosby would head the list.  Guy is a checker, and a great scorer too.  So was Datsuyk. So was Forsberg.  So is Bergeron.  So is (was) Toews.  These guys are the key to winning Cups from the forward spot.  

Bo is way more valuable than Point.  If JB offered Bo for Point the Lightning would take that trade in a heart beat.  

Okay fair points but there’s a difference between having solid 2 way, 2nd line ‘checking’ centres and having elite centres like every single player you mentioned. Bo is an extremely important piece to any team but you’re talking about guys who have won multiple Hart, Art Ross, and Selke awards here. Crosby is generational, Forsberg was absolutely dominant, Datsyuk was one of a kind and the BEST 2 way center for many years only to supplanted by 3 other guys you mentioned in Toews, Bergeron, and Kopitar. I’m sure Tampa would take that trade at the moment given Horvats cap friendly deal but if BOTH players coming off of entry level deals I find it hard to believe Tampa would trade Point one for one. 

Edited by Pickly

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Okay fair points but there’s a difference between having solid 2 way, 2nd line ‘checking’ centres and having elite centres like every single player you mentioned. Bo is an extremely important piece to any team but you’re talking about guys who have won multiple Hart, Art Ross, and Selke awards here. Crosby is generational, Forsberg was absolutely dominant, Datsyuk was one of a kind and the BEST 2 way center for many years only to supplanted by 3 other guys you mentioned in Toews, Bergeron, and Kopitar. I’m sure Tampa would take that trade at the moment given Horvats cap friendly deal but if BOTH players coming off of entry level deals I find it hard to believe Tampa would trade Point one for one. 

Bo took won more face offs than any other center in the league.  With both Beagle and Sutter injured for much of the year, Bo played against the other team's top centers a lot, and took almost all our D zone draws.  He also scored 30 goals, and over 60 points, while taking on that heavy load.  If we had a better supporting cast (especially on D) and made the playoffs, Bo would be in the discussion for the Selke.  No Bo is not Crosby, or Forsberg, or Toews.  But those guys each had Malkin, or Sakic, or Kane to put up the big offensive numbers to help.  Bo now has Petey.  

Of Course I would love to have Point.  He's be perfect for our top six.  I wouldn't want to give up Bo, Petey, Brock, or a first rounder to get him though.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

To be fair, what did Horvat do?  Beside his 6 game stint in 2014-15...he's never been in the playoff.    Yes, 1 pt in 4 game for Point looks bad...but it's such a small sample size....he had 16pts in 17 games last year, that's pretty good.

I think Horvat's salary vs Point's soon to be increase is a much better argument against Point than his 2019 playoffs performance.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bo took won more face offs than any other center in the league.  With both Beagle and Sutter injured for much of the year, Bo played against the other team's top centers a lot, and took almost all our D zone draws.  He also scored 30 goals, and over 60 points, while taking on that heavy load.  If we had a better supporting cast (especially on D) and made the playoffs, Bo would be in the discussion for the Selke.  No Bo is not Crosby, or Forsberg, or Toews.  But those guys each had Malkin, or Sakic, or Kane to put up the big offensive numbers to help.  Bo now has Petey.  

Of Course I would love to have Point.  He's be perfect for our top six.  I wouldn't want to give up Bo, Petey, Brock, or a first rounder to get him though.  

First of all Horvat had 27 goals, not 30. Second, he was forced to take a ridiculous amount of face offs, especially defensive zone draws, because of this teams lack of

depth at the position. Green had zero

faith in anybody else to do the job. He could very well be in the discussion for a Selke one day, but he’s got a ways to go. Also, I’m sure Sid and Foppa would be putting up a PPG+ regardless of who’s on their team.