The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Kakko

On these boards, there understandably is a lot of buzz about moving up in the draft for Jack Hughes, since we already have his brother, as well for Bowen Byram, since he's been a Vancouver Giant and is a defenseman.  Both make sense, and I'd be stoked to have either one.

However I wonder if Kakko is the guy we could put a big package together for with the Rangers.  Kakko has a much higher ceiling as an NHL'er than Byram (that's not meant to be a knock on Bowen, just that Hughes and Kakko are seen as clear #1 & #2 in this draft).  We also already have Petterson and Horvat as our top two centerman, which is the position Hughes plays.  Kakko could move Brock down to the second line which would give us two great lines going forward.  I also just think the potential of Kakko is worth making a big move for, especially with the draft here in Vancouver.

Would you do this trade at the draft here in Vancouver?  Would New York?
To NYR: 10th overall pick, 2020 1st round pick (no protection), Micheal DiPietro, Kole Lind

To Vancouver: 2nd overall (Kakko)

Since the Canucks give up their first rounder for next year, they decide to add a free agent or two and try to turn the corner now rather than chase another high draft pick.

Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, underrated said:

On these boards, there understandably is a lot of buzz about moving up in the draft for Jack Hughes, since we already have his brother, as well for Bowen Byram, since he's been a Vancouver Giant and is a defenseman.  Both make sense, and I'd be stoked to have either one.

However I wonder if Kakko is the guy we could put a big package together for with the Rangers.  Kakko has a much higher ceiling as an NHL'er than Byram (that's not meant to be a knock on Bowen, just that Hughes and Kakko are seen as clear #1 & #2 in this draft).  We also already have Petterson and Horvat as our top two centerman, which is the position Hughes plays.  Kakko could move Brock down to the second line which would give us two great lines going forward.  I also just think the potential of Kakko is worth making a big move for, especially with the draft here in Vancouver.

To NYR: 10th overall pick, 2020 1st round pick (no protection), Micheal DiPietro, Kole Lind

Since the Canucks give up their first rounder for next year, they decide to add a free agent or two and try to turn the corner now rather than chase another high draft pick.

Thoughts?

It’s a nice thought but the Rangers say no.

Kakko is going to be a superstar.

Speaking of Kakko, I do think the Rangers would seriously consider moving Kakko If the Leafs offered Marner (ie Leafs wanting to clear cap space).

16 minutes ago, underrated said:

Thoughts?

I see no reason whatsoever why NYR would trade a potential franchise center for parts.    Turn the tables - would Vancouver, if they won the lottery, trade that pick (or 2nd overall) for a 10th pick and pieces?   MDP and KL are fine prospects but may never play a single game in the NHL.   Same with the 10th overall pick.   Kakko will almost assuredly not only play in the NHL, he will be a star (look at WHC).   

I know this is a discussion board and you are spitballing but if you want Kakko, the trade would have to start with EP40 going the other way.   "NO WAY!!!!!" you scream.....exactly.   That is exactly the response you would get from Ranger fans to your proposal until you offer up something equivalent (or deemed so).

• Cheers 1

Rangers pass and so should we quite frankly.

Our organization is in NO POSITION to be giving away most of our depth (which we have very little of) for top end talent.  I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to end up like the Coilers 2.0. 

• Wat 1

24 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and the rangers do this why?

cuz they have no need for the 2 oa pick?

or any player with superstar potential?

and they just need a bundle of lesser talent instead?
you forgot to tell us why the rangers jump at this deal

It's moving down 8 spots, but still getting a top player from this draft.  The unprotected pick for next year holds a ton of value as well.  This speeds up the rebuild big time, since they're earlier in the process than us.  They also get a good goaltending prospect, which they need, plus another good young forward prospect.  

You see these deals slightly less in hockey than other sports, but moving a future first plus prospects to move up in the draft isn't crazy.  There is a lot of value added for moving down 8 spots.  But I can also understand why the Rangers would just want to take the best player available.

so why don't the canucks trade down 8 spots then

to speed up their rebuild as well instead of trading up ?
i wanna see your proposal on that

otherwise yours is just a typical proposal on this site

nucks get the best player by a mile

for a "bundle of lesser talent" going the other way

sure makes everyone feel warm and fussy in fantasy land though

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Our organization is in NO POSITION to be giving away most of our depth (which we have very little of) for top end talent.  I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to end up like the Coilers 2.0. 

Will have to disagree here a little.

IF the Rangers were high enough to actually accept that deal, we should take it and run.  Of course, Sather would be castrated and punted into the Atlantic Ocean if he made a deal like that, but yeah.........Canucks should easily accept that if it was offered (which it won’t be).

1 hour ago, underrated said:

Thoughts?

Kappo is too close to CRAPPO!!!  No thanks.  

• Haha 3

lol we're not getting Hughes or Kakko, or Byram, or Dach, or Turcotte...etc. It would cost us Pettersson or Boeser and there is no way Benning trades one of those guys for a player who hasn't set foot on NHL ice yet.  

Edited by NUCKER67

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

so why don't the canucks trade down 8 spots then

to speed up their rebuild as well instead of trading up ?
i wanna see your proposal on that

otherwise yours is just a typical proposal on this site

nucks get the best player by a mile

for a "bundle of lesser talent" going the other way

sure makes everyone feel warm and fussy in fantasy land though

If we can get an unprotected 2020 first rounder from a lottery team for moving down 8 spots, then yes absolutely I'd jump on that.

32 minutes ago, underrated said:

If we can get an unprotected 2020 first rounder from a lottery team for moving down 8 spots, then yes absolutely I'd jump on that.

LOL.....NOBODY is giving out 'unprotected' picks anymore after the Ottawa fiasco. 

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Getting Kakko and the biggest thing we give up is the 10th overall pick. DiPietro is a long shot to be a starter. Lind looks like an okay middle 6 player if he reaches the NHL at all and I don't really see that 1st being in the top 10 next year. Also, the Oilers never traded kids/picks for other star studded kids. They just never surrounded their kids with quality vets cause they kept trading them for picks. So not sure the comparison works here.

You gotta throw in Julevi

And then 1 of Pearson/Baerschi/Virt/Goldy

2 1sts, 2 prospects, 1 player

Too all those who poo poo the thought of leveraging the 2nd for assets- NYR has no trouble acquiring talent via FA.

They also won the lottery.  I see a lot of apologists on here saying "if we draft nylander or ehlers we never get Pete etc" 

If NYR pass up a package that big they pass up on a  conference final team for the chance at a superstar. There are superstars who want to leave their teams just to sign in NYC

Its not worth Makko imo only Hughes for us because we can market another canucks brothers team for a decade and the rebuild becomes focused on depth and cap management. Cant market Kakko as well to this fanbase. Fans want class act superstar brothers.