The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Revamped Wingers/Defence

Don’t get too trapped in the Hughes hype, he’s a good player, but won’t classify him as great, he won’t be winning Norris trophies. 

Severson is the new PP quarterback at 24. Smith was taken in same draft as Hughes and had very productive Junior career. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

You're crazy if you think Eriksson doesn't have negative value. Even though they need cap to hit the floor, they can do it via free agency by overpaying for bottom 6ers like we did. And they have leverage, we want the cap gone and nobody will take on the full 6mil in cap for free. Let alone giving us a 4th rounder for him straight up.

• Upvote 3

Agree with @N7Nucks. Eriksson has negative value. The only way we get rid of him is is we take a bad contract back or eat a significant amount of his salary. Even if a team needs to reach the floor, there are much better ways to do it. Overpay for a free agent that can actually add something to the lineup and put some butts in seats. 

Also, NJ overpays for Hughes and Tanev. Even if they wanted to get the brothers together, there's no way they agree to that deal. Not too mention I'm not too fond of giving up Hughes either, considering he's exactly what our blueline needs and the type of proactive playmaker that we haven't had on our blueline in forever. Whether or not he "wins a Norris", he's exactly what we need to bolster our popgun offense. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

5 minutes ago, yztnuK said:

We need the cap space too. But Ottawa needs it more. Floor is 64 million and this team is only 69. Eriksson still hold late round draft pick value. 

Not for his full cap hit. Dallas would give us a 4th rounder for him if we retained half. But no team will give up a 4th rounder for him for his full cap hit. Like I said it's easy enough to hit the cap floor via free agency at the expense of no draft picks. So this makes no sense for Ottawa.

Severson 24 very good D man and would lead PP and Smith is only 19 and will be a very good NHL D man..I don't mind trade but can't see New Jersey making this trade...Seveson, Smith, !st and 2nd rounder --- Hughes, Tanev, 6th.... New Jersey Hard hard pass trade benefits Vancouver....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HughMungus said:

Interesting VGK....worth considering

Ottawa and Ducks are too good to be true. But keep the dream alive.

I would pass on NJD trade.

Boeser and Petterson need some D scoring help. Thats 1 of our biggest flaws.

Our D scoring help will come from Quinn Hughes who you have traded a few times, Stecher appears to be ready to contribute more in that area too.

But overall our D needs to be addressed.

Edited by 6string

I’ll comment more on this later, but I really like the Sutter proposal.  It’s realistic and Anaheim just might bite on that.   Kesler’s career might be over.

I’m not sure if I like the Tryamkin for Miller deal.   Miller had a good year last year but he’s a defensive mess.  There’s a reason why Claude Julien didn’t like the guy down there in Boston.

I like the Ottawa deal a lot.  Given Eriksson’s performance at the World’s, now might be the time to try and move him without having to retain.

Pass on the Quinn Hughes deal.  Quinn Hughes is a one of a kind.  Let’s keep him and build our defense around him.  The presence of Hughes will also take pressure off of Juolevi.....and will allow Juolevi to grow more comfortably and gradually.

Tanev’s value is next to nill for other teams.   He means far more to us than to other teams. The presence of Tanev allows for guys like Stecher and Schenn to play in roles that they are comfortable in.

As far as Baertschi goes, I’d try and move him to Edmonton for Sekera.  Both players have questionable futures, but would also be able to fill a need for their new teams.  The Canucks need more D while Edmonton needs more F’s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Eriksson has a NTC for next year.  He's not waiving it to go to Ottawa...

He might have no choice.  If he doesn’t waive his NTC, then we waive him to Utica.   Period.  Something tells me that Loui would much rather play in the NHL rather than riding buses and biting boners on the farm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do people think Severson is chopped liver or something?

He had 39 points (11 goals) on one of the lowest scoring team in the league with the lowest offensive start time, on his team. He has already proven he’s top 4 defensemen in the league, whereas Hughes is all hype at the moment. 

Ty Smith is no slouch of a prospect as well, and could possibly be a better player than Hughes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

He might have no choice.  If he doesn’t waive his NTC, then we waive him to Utica.   Period.  Something tells me that Loui would much rather play in the NHL rather than riding buses and biting boners on the farm.

Erickson was a healthy scratch once last season.  Once.  I doubt they go from dressing him all but one game to burying him in the minors.  Anything is possible, but to talk about it like it will definitely happen seems unlikely. 

10 hours ago, yztnuK said:

We need the cap space too. But Ottawa needs it more. Floor is 64 million and this team is only 69. Eriksson still hold late round draft pick value. 

For teams close to the cap having a LTIR contract is a nuisance to deal with as it limits the cap space that can be banked.  Vegas is already over the cap and the Clarkson contract is a 5.25M cap hit.  The contract is insured and after the bonus payment is only 200K in real dollars.  It's a more interesting option than adding Eriksson to reach the floor - the cost is significantly less, it doesn't use a roster spot and they'll probably get an asset out of it.  Last off-season Chicago gave up Hinostroza to move Hossa's contract.  

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

Do people think Severson is chopped liver or something?

He had 39 points (11 goals) on one of the lowest scoring team in the league with the lowest offensive start time, on his team. He has already proven he’s top 4 defensemen in the league, whereas Hughes is all hype at the moment. 

Ty Smith is no slouch of a prospect as well, and could possibly be a better player than Hughes.

Thank you, someone who sees my point of view. Hughes in all probability is going to turn out to be similar to Tory Krug.

Same as Ty Smith, but bigger. With the added bonus of Severson and reclamation project in Zacha, who is expendable now with them drafting Jack Hughes. 

• Upvote 1