The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Revamped Wingers/Defence

Why in the hell is everyone trying to trade Quinn Hughes? Potential to be a #1 puck moving, point producing defender in the NHL. Has only played 5 games for the Canucks and people are trying to ship him out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jaku said:

Why in the hell is everyone trying to trade Quinn Hughes? Potential to be a #1 puck moving, point producing defender in the NHL. Has only played 5 games for the Canucks and people are trying to ship him out.

Because apparently, he’s the next Torey Krug.......or so say the losers at Hockeysfuture/Canucks and their cult.

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

He might have no choice.  If he doesn’t waive his NTC, then we waive him to Utica.   Period.  Something tells me that Loui would much rather play in the NHL rather than riding buses and biting boners on the farm.

Yes I'm sure Aquilini is going to send Eriksson to Utica after paying him a $4 million bonus in July, makes total sense...  :lol:

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I'm sure Aquilini is going to send Eriksson to Utica after paying him a $4 million bonus in July, makes total sense...  :lol:

Doing that may prompt Eriksson to retire.

Like you said, after the 4 million payout, 28 of his 36 million will have been paid.   He might not be willing to ride buses for 3 years for that final 8 million.   

I think there’s a mutual benefit with Canucks management and Eriksson in seeing Eriksson get traded to another NHL team if he doesn’t fit the system here or isn’t being deployed that is conducive to his style of play.

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Eriksson has a NTC for next year.  He's not waiving it to go to Ottawa...

I heard rumours he did not get on with the coach here...

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Do people think Severson is chopped liver or something?

He had 39 points (11 goals) on one of the lowest scoring team in the league with the lowest offensive start time, on his team. He has already proven he’s top 4 defensemen in the league, whereas Hughes is all hype at the moment. 

Ty Smith is no slouch of a prospect as well, and could possibly be a better player than Hughes.

Severson is a good D. Very good. I spilled my beer, joined a crowd on CDC swearing at our computer screens when we passed on him in the 2knd round of his draft year.  I'm still not convinced he's a game breaking mercurial talent. Even now? Smith is very good also! But fell to, what was it, 18? Because he does not have the speed that Boqvist and Hughes had, even if on par skill wise, probably better defensively? The type of speed that commands opposing coaches to rethink their game plan just for us.

Which is in Hughes upside. In fact, its in his current resume / capacity.

The package, including a 1st and 2knd, Severson & Smith is a big offer, pretty compelling.

I still don't do it!   

F4AF55EE-C142-4970-8636-E39248E57192.jpe

I do this Tryamkin deal though! Really interesting trade.

But I also agree with another poster. I'm not selling low on Baer. He's a 2knd line winger who can play top line in a pinch. If his value is low due to concussion history, so be it. He can be our winger.   

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Because apparently, he’s the next Torey Krug.......or so say the losers at Hockeysfuture/Canucks and their cult.

Lol my god. I'm questioning the ability and competence of the people that come up with those analysis'. The comparison is trash. A less physical version of Morgan Rielly probably more accurate.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, yztnuK said:

Don’t get too trapped in the Hughes hype, he’s a good player, but won’t classify him as great, he won’t be winning Norris trophies. 

Severson is the new PP quarterback at 24. Smith was taken in same draft as Hughes and had very productive Junior career. 

Why wont he be winning Norris Trophies? What did you base that opinion on? He's played a handful of games and has shows flashes of utter brilliance. I think he had more zone exits and entries in those games than half of the team throughout the season.

19 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

You're crazy if you think Eriksson doesn't have negative value. Even though they need cap to hit the floor, they can do it via free agency by overpaying for bottom 6ers like we did. And they have leverage, we want the cap gone and nobody will take on the full 6mil in cap for free. Let alone giving us a 4th rounder for him straight up.

They could. Don't think they will thought. Ottawa isn't in the greatest financial situation and has several legal issues that will find their ways into court.

If I was Melnyk, I would prefer to have a cap hit of 6 million where I am paying only half in actual salary. After July 1, I think Eriksson is owed a combined 9-10 million dollars or approximately 3m per year. For a team strapped for cash, in the rebuilding stage and trying to reach the cap floor, Eriksson despite his negative value is a dream acquisition from a financial standpoint. They can give us a 6ht or 7th if that will make it work.

13 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

They could. Don't think they will thought. Ottawa isn't in the greatest financial situation and has several legal issues that will find their ways into court.

If I was Melnyk, I would prefer to have a cap hit of 6 million where I am paying only half in actual salary. After July 1, I think Eriksson is owed a combined 9-10 million dollars or approximately 3m per year. For a team strapped for cash, in the rebuilding stage and trying to reach the cap floor, Eriksson despite his negative value is a dream acquisition from a financial standpoint. They can give us a 6ht or 7th if that will make it work.

How about 200K for a 5.25M cap hit and an asset to help their rebuild.  Teams with LTIR contracts will seek out Ottawa.

9 hours ago, Jaku said:

It’s called getting value for an unknown piece.

I think anyone GM would agree, if you can trade a young proven top 4 defensemen (right handed as well) for a prospect who is just getting his feet wet in the league. They would be all over it. Obviously, depending on where you’re team is at. In the Canucks case, were on the cusp of contention and Severson fits the same age as our core players. We add a player like him, I’m almost certain we will make the playoffs.

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

It’s called getting value for an unknown piece.

I think anyone GM would agree, if you can trade a young proven top 4 defensemen (right handed as well) for a prospect who is just getting his feet wet in the league. They would be all over it. Obviously, depending on where you’re team is at. In the Canucks case, were on the cusp of contention and Severson fits the same age as our core players. We add a player like him, I’m almost certain we will make the playoffs.

I'm going to argue that this is a stupid trade and the Canucks shouldn't even entertain the idea. Trading Quinn Hughes would be a ridiculous mistake. Once again - he is going to be a high end point producing d-man. Severson is not worth throwing that all away.

8 minutes ago, Jaku said:

I'm going to argue that this is a stupid trade and the Canucks shouldn't even entertain the idea. Trading Quinn Hughes would be a ridiculous mistake. Once again - he is going to be a high end point producing d-man. Severson is not worth throwing that all away.

Severson had 11 goals on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league with the least offensive start time on his team, amongst defensemen. With Taylor Hall out for the majority of the season too. Just think how much points/goals he could get with Pettersson and Boeser feeding him on our PP, with his lethal slapper.

15 goals/45-55 points isn’t out of reach for him on this team. That would have put him in the top 15 amongst defensemen, this year.

He’s also signed for 4 more years, under 4.5M.

Edited by shiznak

49 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Severson had 11 goals on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league with the least offensive start time on his team, amongst defensemen. With Taylor Hall out for the majority of the season too. Just think how much points/goals he could get with Pettersson and Boeser feeding him on our PP, with his lethal slapper.

15 goals/45-55 points isn’t out of reach for him on this team. That would have put him in the top 15 amongst defensemen, this year.

I'm sorry but there is nothing that will convince that is not a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Adrian Acuion owns the team record for most goals and PPG by defenseman, doesn’t mean he’s Lumme, Ohlund or Jovo though.  Hughes has the pedigree to back up becoming an impact player for us soon, maybe even this year, I could think of a dozen or so defenseman that I’d rather target then Severson in NJ, and really would just rather wait and see what we have instead.

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Adrian Acuion owns the team record for most goals and PPG by defenseman, doesn’t mean he’s Lumme, Ohlund or Jovo though.  Hughes has the pedigree to back up becoming an impact player for us soon, maybe even this year, I could think of a dozen or so defenseman that I’d rather target then Severson in NJ, and really would just rather wait and see what we have instead.

Aucoin was tough as nails, but he was a below average defender.

Severson is essentially an offensive version of Tanev.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Aucoin was tough as nails, but he was a below average defender.

Severson is essentially an offensive version of Tanev.

For the first few years Aucion was terrible, a little better than Adrian Plavsic.   He did gradually get better, and eventually got it all figured out and had a pretty solid career after Vancouver too.   

Nothing wrong with an offensive version of Tanev....that’s more or less what we can hope OJ can aspire.  

On 5/23/2019 at 3:12 PM, Jaku said:

Lol my god. I'm questioning the ability and competence of the people that come up with those analysis'. The comparison is trash. A less physical version of Morgan Rielly probably more accurate.

You must be smoking some good stuff if you think Hughes will get anywhere close to 70 point seasons. 

Hughes is a good Player (40-50 points) Maybe. Maybe borderline great (55-60) but he will not be elite (70+++) his shot his not like burns, his passing is not like karlsson and his speed is, well slightly above average. 

Stop with obsessive devotion to these players, they are all tradable assets, only keep the elite, that’s MAYBE one player on our team.