The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] LA - Pitsburgh

To L.A

Phil Kessel

To Pitsburgh

Dion Phaneuf

L.A could use some offense. Kessel can play with some gritty centers. Takes some cap for Pits.

I think Phaneuf actually helps the Pens Dcore a lot when it comes to playoff hockey if he can carry himself.

If uneven how would you fix the value?

Edited by HughMungus
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

To L.A

Phil Kessel

To Pitsburgh

Dion Phaneuf

L.A could use some offense. Kessel can play with some gritty centers. Takes some cap for Pits.

I think Phaneuf actually helps the Pens Dcore a lot when it comes to playoff hockey if he can carry himself.

If uneven how would you fix the value?

420403160_areyouserious.jpg.afb61dbb2fe9063f5388aa1a1a7fafdf.jpg

Why would Pitsburgh want much more. There are worse anchors.

Clearing 2 mill and moving out a fwd helps pits get cap. They only have so many years with the Dynasty core. 

Your reaction makes me think Pits NEEDs a 2nd or a borderline regular prospect? 

I think kessels worth a top 4 D man.  Or a top 6 fwd.

Phaneuf is horrible. Why would Pittsburgh want to trade a PPG player for a player that literally had 6 ponts all of last season? Dion Phaneuf isn't an anchor, if anything he's a pylon. Overpaid, overrated, plain and simply terrible. Dion had his day, but it is long passed. 

15 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Phaneuf is horrible. Why would Pittsburgh want to trade a PPG player for a player that literally had 6 ponts all of last season? Dion Phaneuf isn't an anchor, if anything he's a pylon. Overpaid, overrated, plain and simply terrible. Dion had his day, but it is long passed. 

I guess I think of Kessel as a washed up Hall and Larsson as a washed up Phaneuf.

Cap affects things.

I think Kessel struggles without a team like Pitsburgh. Similar to....maybe Neal?

5 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

I guess I think of Kessel as a washed up Hall and Larsson as a washed up Phaneuf.

Cap affects things.

I think Kessel struggles without a team like Pitsburgh. Similar to....maybe Neal?

Dion Phaneuf has a cap hit of 7M Phil's is only 1M more than that. 

I'm not at all convinced of that. Phil was a pretty stellar player on the Maple Leafs before playing with Malkin/Crosby. 4 of his 6 years in Toronto he had 30+ goals without an elite center. I fail to believe he becomes a plug if he plays somewhere else. 

36 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Dion Phaneuf has a cap hit of 7M Phil's is only 1M more than that. 

I'm not at all convinced of that. Phil was a pretty stellar player on the Maple Leafs before playing with Malkin/Crosby. 4 of his 6 years in Toronto he had 30+ goals without an elite center. I fail to believe he becomes a plug if he plays somewhere else. 

You mean the seasons Dion was on the team too. Or did you mean his Boston year?

This seems insanely lopsided to me. Kessel is a point-per-game player and is 2.5 years younger than Phaneuf. The difference in cap hit of $2.75M (given that Ottawa retains $1.75M) doesn't come close to closing this gap. If I were to quantify it by setting Kessel at a value of 100, then Phaneuf would be -50, even with salaries factored in. Kessel isn't overpaid for what he's doing now; $8M for a point-a-game player is market value, or at least very close to it. If you want to even it up easily, just add a truckload of draft picks on LA's side.

I feel the values there because of the quality of the FA pool. In a similar way draft picks value change by the draft depth. Pits can shed cap and run a big defense and hire offensive F.As.

So then LA would need to add a first round pick? That seems steep for Kessel lol. 2 goals his last 16 playoff games. Wasnt Bonino driving his line too?

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, HughMungus said:

Why would Pitsburgh want much more. There are worse anchors.

Clearing 2 mill and moving out a fwd helps pits get cap. They only have so many years with the Dynasty core. 

Your reaction makes me think Pits NEEDs a 2nd or a borderline regular prospect? 

I think kessels worth a top 4 D man.  Or a top 6 fwd.

34 year old -21 Dion Phaneuf is not that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah this is literally crazy. Sorry man, but I have never seen one miss the mark so badly. 

Most Kessel proposals are based around what significant assets you can pay to get an 85 point scorer. Phaneuf proposals are based around what THEY would have to pay YOU to take him off their hands. 

The Eriksson/Malkin comment is... actually a decent comparison. 

Kessel isn't old. There's probably a couple more PPG seasons in him before he starts to decline. Penguins wouldn't even consider this. Everytime Kessel was traded for, there was always at least a 1st round pick packaged the other way.

Based on Phaneuf's decline, he maybe has one season left in him. He had worse numbers than Gudbranson or Pouliot. He's worse than our worst defensemen last season and yet you value him at the price of an Elite 1st line forward.