The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] - Brock Nelson - 6 years

• drofssalg changed the title to [Signing] - Brock Nelson - 6 years
6 minutes ago, drofssalg said:

Islanders twitter stating Brock Nelson has re-signed. 6 year deal at 6 million per AAV.  

Really good signing.

2014-15  New York Islanders          NHL    82   20   22   42   24   6   2   0   2   2
2015-16  New York Islanders          NHL    81   26   14   40   30  11   1   4   5   6
2016-17  New York Islanders          NHL    81   20   25   45   36  --  --  --  --  --
2017-18  New York Islanders          NHL    82   19   16   35   43  --  --  --  --  --
2018-19  New York Islanders          NHL    82   25   28   53   28
2018-19p New York Islanders          NHL     8    4    0    4    2

He is pretty much a consistent 20+ goal scorer, 40 P guy, minus his first year with 14 goals (I omitted it)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/viewastext.php?491830ed=a1a236f6&pid=127790

Looks like he took a hometown discount.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

20 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Jesus

Has 1 50pt season at age 27 during a contract year and gets awarded 6x6. I understand that he’s a glue guy in that locker room and part of the core but c’mon now, he’s no more than a 2nd liner tops.

These are the types of contracts that mess up the scale for everyone else. I can already see Boeser’s agent laughing at Canucks insisting he take $7m-$7.5m. Can easily push for $8m hypothetically speaking. 

He is precisely that.  A dependable second line centre who is deserving of the 6 million during his prime years.

Boeser is probably going to get $7 million.  Just accept it.

14 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Jesus

Has 1 50pt season at age 27 during a contract year and gets awarded 6x6. I understand that he’s a glue guy in that locker room and part of the core but c’mon now, he’s no more than a 2nd liner tops.

These are the types of contracts that mess up the scale for everyone else. I can already see Boeser’s agent laughing at Canucks insisting he take $7m-$7.5m. Can easily push for $8m hypothetically speaking. 

I'm going to assume UFA vs RFA will come into play between the two negotiations. NYI simply bought UFA years (staying with NYI is not the most enticing proposition for many), so it's not unexpected that they overpaid a bit. I think the fact that they made the playoffs is even why this deal was completely otherwise Nelson may have looked for greener pastures. His numbers may be "2nd line production", but the top guy got 62 points (Mat Barzal) and Nelson played nearly 18 minutes a night which puts him in 1st line TOI. They've played a new tight defensive system that even Barzal's production dropped by over 20 points from the previous season (and Nelson actually upped his production, but whether that's simply because it's a contract year we will find out), but they've been more effective as a team.

IMO even 7-7.5m for Boeser is overpayment in comparison to Nelson's deal when you consider everything I mention, plus Nelson has more of a resume to bank on.

Forget about BB, he's going to get PAID no matter what other's are getting.

The real concern, is if Nelson is worth this what will JV be worth if he manages to crack that magical 20g plateau? 

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm going to assume UFA vs RFA will come into play between the two negotiations. NYI simply bought UFA years (staying with NYI is not the most enticing proposition for many), so it's not unexpected that they overpaid a bit. I think the fact that they made the playoffs is even why this deal was completely otherwise Nelson may have looked for greener pastures. His numbers may be "2nd line production", but the top guy got 62 points (Mat Barzal) and Nelson played nearly 18 minutes a night which puts him in 1st line TOI. They've played a new tight defensive system that even Barzal's production dropped by over 20 points from the previous season (and Nelson actually upped his production, but whether that's simply because it's a contract year we will find out), but they've been more effective as a team.

IMO even 7-7.5m for Boeser is overpayment in comparison to Nelson's deal when you consider everything I mention, plus Nelson has more of a resume to bank on.

Absolutely, and Nelson is at a more premium position.

William Nylander also has done significantly more in the league than BB and signed at 6.9.  I know this won't be a popular opinion here but it is true.

BB should be significantly under those numbers, probably won't be as Benning has been very generous for the most part when it comes to contracts.  Still don't know how he got Bo to sign for what he did, that was a steal to give credit the one time it is due for a budget signing. 

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The real concern, is if Nelson is worth this what will JV be worth if he manages to crack that magical 20g plateau? 

Cracking the 20 goal mark is one thing. Doing it consistently for 5 seasons or more is another.

Nelson broke the 20 goal mark (42 points), then signed a 3 year deal worth 2.5 million a season. That's roughly where I would see Jake get extended if he does indeed break that goal mark (and ups his points total). Doubling his current salary would seem fair and if he shows consistency in that contract, then he will get a bigger payout.

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

OMG Bo is sooooo underpaid.  They ought to buy him a house or something. 

The difference between RFA and UFA (and a resume demonstrating your worth over time). Looks like Nelson didn't take any clauses in his deal (probably sees no need with NYI), so didn't take any discount either on his UFA years.

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Absolutely, and Nelson is at a more premium position.

William Nylander also has done significantly more in the league than BB and signed at 6.9.  I know this won't be a popular opinion here but it is true.

BB should be significantly under those numbers, probably won't be as Benning has been very generous for the most part when it comes to contracts.  Still don't know how he got Bo to sign for what he did, that was a steal to give credit the one time it is due for a budget signing. 

Nylander has had a better supporting cast, but that would be a good example as to why BB likely shouldn't exceed 7.

Look at Benning's RFA signings. They've all been great deals. His UFA signings are generally a bit on the higher end, but it is the cost of bringing in guys to a bottom team (which is necessary IMO in developing a young team). Being stingy here (and overpaying your RFAs) will only lead to the piss poor rebuilding teams (eg Edmonton).

The good thing here is hopefully the Benning haters will give him some credit for signing BB under what their expectations are.

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He wont be worth much if he doesn't figure some things out. Also, until he can crack the 20g plateau for 4 seasons in a row JV ain't gonna get a sniff at anything over 2.5 mill.

44 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

He is precisely that.  A dependable second line centre who is deserving of the 6 million during his prime years.

More than Nylander?

OK, Ok, Ok... :frantic:

More than Pastrnak???

IMO a good comparable for Boeser is Huberdeau.

Who had 54 then 59  points coming out of his ELC. Everyone knew he had upside. Was paid $5.9mill and people said it was high? 94 points this year, nuff said...

Brock Boeser, RFA with inflation and more goals, but not more points? Similar upside? Less speed, similar size, also a wing should command;

$6.4 mill x 6

In wonder if this makes Lee signing more or less likely.  He probably lands north of $7 million with term in free agency and maybe Lou isn’t willing to go there.  Lee is my prime UFA target if he makes it to free agency.

As for Boeser, this doesn’t seem to be a comparable to impact his signing at all.  Wait to see what the other top end RFAs start getting.

I think Boeser runs between $6-7 million depending on on if we buy any UFA years.   

$6 million at a 5 year or under contract, $7 million or a touch higher with a longer term contract.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

1mil more for 15-20 goals and 30-40 more points.  I'll take that any day of the year.

Edited by xereau
  • Upvote 1