The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] - Brock Nelson - 6 years

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

He is precisely that.  A dependable second line centre who is deserving of the 6 million during his prime years.

Boeser is probably going to get $7 million.  Just accept it.

LeBrun thinks 8M on a long term deal.

Sure shows what a steal Bo's current deal is. Bo's next contract is going to be significantly bigger. Cap management is going to be fun for the Canucks - fortunately most of the contracts are staggered timing wise. Although Pettersson and Hughes up at the same time will be interesting.

I think Nelson is slightly overpaid. But given the Islanders arena saga not quite done and the departure of Tavares, I think they had to overpay to get him to stay. Curious to see what happens with their other free agents - Eberle and Lee in particular as those are the two contract I want to see. Can't imagine what the Islanders do if they lose them. 

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

In wonder if this makes Lee signing more or less likely.  He probably lands north of $7 million with term in free agency and maybe Lou isn’t willing to go there.  Lee is my prime UFA target if he makes it to free agency.

As for Boeser, this doesn’t seem to be a comparable to impact his signing at all.  Wait to see what the other top end RFAs start getting.

I think Boeser runs between $6-7 million depending on on if we buy any UFA years.   

$6 million at a 5 year or under contract, $7 million or a touch higher with a longer term contract.

I doubt they named him captain without the intention of extending him, unless he's asking for an absurd amount.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Jesus, 6 M for a 40'ish point player......

New system and one that appeared to work. Barzal's production dropped by over 20 points from the previous season and Nelson actually upped his. He's been one of their go-to guys playing nearly 19 mins a night which was the most amongst their forwards.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

New system and one that appeared to work. Barzal's production dropped by over 20 points from the previous season and Nelson actually upped his. He's been one of their go-to guys playing nearly 19 mins a night which was the most amongst their forwards.

well I looked at his last 5 years and his average is 43 points.

To the people doing the comparison shopping here to Boeser, or Virtanen...

You can't.

Center vs Winger is always a massive consideration too. Wingers simply do not contribute in the same way as Centres do. You can win a cup without wingers (see: Penguins Crosby Cup 1), you can't win one without centres. See: Everybody, ever.

8 minutes ago, brownky said:

To the people doing the comparison shopping here to Boeser, or Virtanen...

You can't.

Center vs Winger is always a massive consideration too. Wingers simply do not contribute in the same way as Centres do. You can win a cup without wingers (see: Penguins Crosby Cup 1), you can't win one without centres. See: Everybody, ever.

Also RFA years vs UFA years. It's very apples and oranges.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Also RFA years vs UFA years. It's very apples and oranges.

Not anymore.  Agents are now arguing that there's no reason that their young star players take less when they are just as important if not more to the success of their team.  Teams are going to reach the cap much quicker.  

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I wonder what this means for Lee??? 

Man i want the canucks in on Lee in the worst way. 

The Wild are also interested in Lee.  He is from Edina where several Wild players live and where they play the Beauty League together in the summer.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Not anymore.  Agents are now arguing that there's no reason that their young star players take less when they are just as important if not more to the success of their team.  Teams are going to reach the cap much quicker.  

Agents can argue it all they like. And I'm not saying there hasn't been a shift or it isn't a trend but the two are still not equal.

That plus Nelson's many intangibles and diversity plus a rising cap etc, etc are all why his hit is what it is. If anything it's the term that's a bit on the longer side (I'm sure they tried to get him for 4 or 5...)

12 minutes ago, mll said:

It's not just necessarily about importance, but there are factors involved where a UFA can sign anywhere they would like while an RFA doesn't have that luxury. I understand not low balling a RFA, but at the same time, they shouldn't be getting UFA market value.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Forget about BB, he's going to get PAID no matter what other's are getting.

The real concern, is if Nelson is worth this what will JV be worth if he manages to crack that magical 20g plateau? 

Nah, Nelson's got four 20+ goal seasons with two of those being 25 or more. He's also had a 19 goal season. Jake's still got a fair bit of work to do before he gets a payday like that.