The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] - Brock Nelson - 6 years

15 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Not sure why you bash this guy when you haven't watched enough Isles hockey to comment. LOL. 10 periods of Isles hockey over the last couple of years? Are you kidding me?

What do you mean is he a great defender? If you bothered to even LOOK at the stats, even if you don't watch the team, you would see Nelson is among the highest of +/-. There are 9 players total with around +/- 20. Some are 18, one is 22. He is 20.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYI/2019.html

So yes, he is a very good all-round player, in relation to all the players on his team, on a playoff NYI team.

I’m not bashing the player, im questioning the contract. Don’t confuse the two.  

I watched about 75 Canucks games and about 20 other games this year.  Don’t act surprised that I’ve only watched 3 or 4 Isles games. 

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I’m not bashing the player, im questioning the contract. Don’t confuse the two.  

I watched about 75 Canucks games and about 20 other games this year.  Don’t act surprised that I’ve only watched 3 or 4 Isles games. 

My point is that you have commented a lot about him, despite not knowing much about the team he plays on. You said he is a 4 million dollar player, which I would assume is YOUR arbitrary assessment of what a player like that (production wise, ~40-50 pts) goes for.

Anyway, it's fine to have a different opinion. You just have to back it up - and I don't feel you did.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I hope that this signing ate up a chunk of the change that they would’ve offered Anders Lee, because that’s the Islanders’ UFA that I really want. 

https://www.nhl.com/player/anders-lee-8475314

How much do you think Lee is going to command? I'm thinking at least a 6x6 because any less then the Isles would pay him that for sure. Lee had a drop off in production without Tavares dropping over 10 points and went from a 40 goal guy to a 28 goal guy. Sure he has size and plays physical, but if people think Nelson is overpaid with his new deal, then Lee will look overpaid IMO given that Nelson plays center instead of wing and Nelson has upper his game while Lee took a step back.

IMO, Lee will be much closer to the LE UFA class, where all those big power forwards flopped after getting their big deals. I'm not surprised that the Isles locked up Nelson first before their current captain.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:04 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Bo Horvat's contract keeps looking like one of the best in the NHL.

For sure. Kinda wondering how happy he will be as Captain when Brock and Petey sign their deals. He may be in line for a Burrows type ‘thanks for the years of

loyal service’ type contract when this deal expires. 

Or perhaps he will change agents. Lol!

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2019 at 9:28 AM, Generational.EP40 said:

Jesus

Has 1 50pt season at age 27 during a contract year and gets awarded 6x6. I understand that he’s a glue guy in that locker room and part of the core but c’mon now, he’s no more than a 2nd liner tops.

These are the types of contracts that mess up the scale for everyone else. I can already see Boeser’s agent laughing at Canucks insisting he take $7m-$7.5m. Can easily push for $8m hypothetically speaking. 

Drama much?

You folks need to look at more than your simple surface impressions tell you.

Er, '1 50 pt season and locker room glue.'    Nice one-liner, but sounds like you just googled the player with all due respect.

Has 110 goals over the last 5 seasons.

This year he had 22 even strength goals, 22 even strength assists.

That kind of production while getting 45.4% offensive zone starts - in two-way, secondary scoring type minutes.

Was +20.

Had an on ice, 5 on 5 goals against of 1.8.

Some of the best two-way numbers on the Isles, a 103 pt team - and clearly unknown/under-rated by a number of google scouts in this thread.

Anyhow, there's one good target off the market unfortunately - but at least he stayed with the club that drafted him,. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Drama much?

You folks need to look at more than your simple surface impressions tell you.

Er, '1 50 pt season and locker room glue.'    Nice one-liner, but sounds like you just googled the player with all due respect.

Has 110 goals over the last 5 seasons.

This year he had 22 even strength goals, 22 even strength assists.

That kind of production while getting 45.4% offensive zone starts - in two-way, secondary scoring type minutes.

Was +20.

Had an on ice, 5 on 5 goals against of 1.8.

Some of the best two-way numbers on the Isles, a 103 pt team - and clearly unknown/under-rated by a number of google scouts in this thread.

Anyhow, there's one good target off the market unfortunately - but at least he stayed with the club that drafted him,. 

(.....uhhh again, why are you so obsessed with me? Rather creepy that you can’t just stay away from me and always find a way to reply to something I have to say.....)

And well I can’t say I’m surprised by your response here :rolleyes:

On 5/23/2019 at 11:48 AM, aGENT said:

Damn.

Was hoping (though not expecting) for him and Lee to hit FA.

Oh well, on to the next target eh @oldnews?

oldnews, what else is new? You’re honestly the type of person to justify Sutter and Gudbranson type contracts so I’m not even going to bother with you. Stick to the Stone Ages - the hockey world’s moved on and to be completely honest with you your username suits you perfectly for cap management situations like this. Clearly you don’t know there’s a fine line between cost & value. You’re the guy who said you’d be fine giving Brett Connolly $5m to sign as a Canuck. I bet you wanted the Canucks to sign David Clarkson when he was a FA too. 

6x6 for a guy who hit 50 points for the first time at age 27 doesn’t warrant that sort of contract. As if we should hand out another 6x6 contract because just having 1 as is isn’t bad enough right? WOW 110 goals over the past 5 seasons!!! Guess what, Eriksson had exactly 100 goals over his last 5 seasons before he joined us and he played 54 LESS games than Nelson; that’s nearly 3/4 of a full season. Eriksson at least showed he had top6 seasons/production in him and he still ended up being a terrible contract. But the Einstein in you says &^@# it, let’s give it to a guy who has never sustained such capabilities anyways! Genius, absolutely genius I must tell you. What could possibly go wrong?? :wacko: 

giphy.gif

...just sit back - the team is trying to move away from overpriced middling players and you just don’t seem to learn. Oh and I’m not saying the player is bad either, the cost is since you aren’t able to differentiate the two and always morph them as if there can only be one.

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

Edited by Generational.EP40

10 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

(.....uhhh

You were simply the first and most outspoken drama-queen to ermagerd this contract, clearly not having an idea what you're talking about (or perhaps simply not knowing which side of the flip flop you should start the dramatics on....).

Nelson got something in the range of his free agent market value (might have actually done better in the UFA market) - simple as that.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Nelson got something in the range of his free agent market value (might have actually done better in the UFA market) - simple as that.

How does that justify the contract or any other contract as a matter of fact? Tbh it completely makes sense seeing where you come from if this is your logic. I thought you were a blind sheep but I think you honestly justify contracts with such backwards logic.

I guess there’s no bad contracts since all players “got something in the range of [their] free agent market value”. Meaning Clarkson’s contract wasn’t bad, nor was Beleskey’s, nor was Lucic’s, nor was Ladd’s, nor is Eriksson’s. Good to know. 

On 5/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

How does that justify the contract or any other contract as a matter of fact? Tbh it completely makes sense seeing where you come from if this is your logic. I thought you were a blind sheep but I think you honestly justify contracts with such backwards logic.

rabble babble.

your pattern of engaging in literally no hockey talk / counterpoint - with spin-off straw and no substance - gets clearer with every post.

• Wat 1