The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C.’s top court rules province can’t regulate flow of bitumen through Trans Mountain pipeline

Mackcanuck

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it’s wise to use up other countries’ oil resources and save ours?  

No because there's lots of oil around. They'll never run out. It's just a wealth transfer out of Canada.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Green Party calls for Canada to stop using foreign oil — and rely on Alberta’s instead

“As long as we are using fossil fuels we should be using our fossil fuels,” said May.

For Canadian refineries in the east, bitumen from the oilsands must be upgraded to synthetic crude. May’s plan is to invest in upgraders to do it.

She acknowledges weaning Canada off foreign oil won’t happen overnight, given existing contracts Canadian refineries have and figuring out how to build the upgraders and then ship the product.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5320262/green-party-alberta-foreign-oil/

Good to see she has a brain. I do wish you, her and @kingofsurrey would listen to Patrick Moore.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My only hope at this point is that the oil is refined instead of diluted bitumen. So much easier to clean up in the event of a spill.

Screw Saudi Arabia. Use what we have and help out Canada.

nobody wants to buy refined petroleum, outside of a few developing world nations who lack refining capacity. And they get it from the guys next door, not half way across the world. 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you have to admit, this is the weirdest run up to an election ever in Canada. CPC says they'll deficit spend for years. Trudeau is spending 10s of billions on the military. May wants to build a refinery. Someone spiked the water cooler. 

Bolded isn't new. It was in 2015 Green platform.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-green-party-platform-1.3220976

New jobs in the petroleum industry should be created by refining product here rather than shipping it raw to other countries, according to the Green plan.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you have to admit, this is the weirdest run up to an election ever in Canada. CPC says they'll deficit spend for years. Trudeau is spending 10s of billions on the military. May wants to build a refinery. Someone spiked the water cooler. 

It's politics in the Trump era....

...don't go in with a set of values, or even a solid plan.....just tell people what you think they want to hear and then reveal your true agenda once elected.

49 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

...don't go in with a set of values, or even a solid plan.....just tell people what you think they want to hear and then reveal your true agenda once elected.

I think that goes back to pre-confederation tbh. 

we're all collectively responsible too. Most people give it little thought, so politicians trot out shiny promises to get the job, and then - hopefully - do some of the actual things the country needs. We just dont give it the thought and time it deserves. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

50 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think that goes back to pre-confederation tbh. 

I think that's pretty much been the name of the game in politics ever since it evolved past "give me what I want or I'll hit you with a rock". 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DonLever said:

The first sentence in the article sets the tone.  Obvious it is anti-pipeline.

A false statement.  Polls show BC residents are split with more people in favour than against.  Not all First Nations oppose.   A group of First Nations even want to buy it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5298795/western-canadian-first-nations-tmx-purchase/

Yeah it was certainly biased. But I did enjoy the 'scroll through joureney' of a tanker through reaching teh pacific ocean from Burnaby. Thought it was interesting.

Although 1 metric from the article mentioned that there would be a 7 fold increase in tanker traffic as a result of the expanded pipeline.. Is this true? I thought it was 1 extra tanker per day on average. 7-fold seems ridiculously high.

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I believe the wording was it will take a couple more than 2 years to pay off the defecit. But it is election season and you have a way with words Jim. 

8 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Bolded isn't new. It was in 2015 Green platform.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-green-party-platform-1.3220976

Just so both you know the "mission possible" plan is a failure. It calls for no new extraction of any kind. Use our resources while we switch renewables is how she put it. She also doesn't want pipelines so we would continue to harm the environment via rail and continue to sell our oil at a discount. Old Lizzy seems fun to booze it with but thats about it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I believe the wording was it will take a couple more than 2 years to pay off the defecit. But it is election season and you have a way with words Jim. 

I know, for 5 years Scheer will overspend and say "Justin made me do it" ::D 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

where's Paul Martin when you need him eh?

Well it seems if you win 3 straight majority governments you should do your best to ruin the guy taking your spot.

Can't remember anytime outside of war where the majority of opposition members agree with the PM. 

The guy made some tough choices but sure put Canada on good footing and with the ability to re-invest in cuts they had made once the debt and defecit was under control.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Just so both you know the "mission possible" plan is a failure. It calls for no new extraction of any kind. Use our resources while we switch renewables is how she put it. She also doesn't want pipelines so we would continue to harm the environment via rail and continue to sell our oil at a discount. Old Lizzy seems fun to booze it with but thats about it.

Just to confirm I wasn't cheerleading the position. Just simply stating what was on their platform.

I like a lot of things about the Greens but I don't care for the disconnect between wanting to build refineries while also wanting to keep oil in the ground. :wacko: