The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Drop in the draft

17 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Ott: #10 OA

Van: #19 OA and #32 OA

Van selects Seider/Harley/Heinola at #19, Honka/Thomson at #32, BPA at #40

Move could significantly improve defense situation moving forward.

I can't remember a top ten pick dropping down 9 spots and doing well.  Why not simply draft Seider at 10, and pick the BPA at 40?  Getting an extra second round pick shouldn't cost us our top 10 pick.  It's JB's job to trade older guys and get those extra picks.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I can't remember a top ten pick dropping down 9 spots and doing well.  Why not simply draft Seider at 10, and pick the BPA at 40?  Getting an extra second round pick shouldn't cost us our top 10 pick.  It's JB's job to trade older guys and get those extra picks.  

I haven't seen Seider ranked anywhere below #19 but I might have missed something. Obviously depends on who is available at #10 but I would rather have Seider (who I think has huge upside) and Honka/Thomson over Soderstrom or Caufield.

If BoldyPodkolzin/etc. slip to #10 then taking the pick might be better.

23 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Maybe.....Ottawa's 19, 32. 44 if we could move back up the draft....but even then, I don't know man.

PS...….I like your thinking out of the box though!

Maybe more like Arizona's 14th and 45th.....but even then, I have needs, and I don't want to miss out!

17 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

So.. like.. get better by getting worse? You are playing a real long term game here

Depends on how you view a combination of Seider and Honka/Thomson vs. who is available at #10. I think Seider is going to be a player and prefer him and Honka/Thomson over Soderstrom or Caufield. If Boldy/Podkolzin/etc. slip then picking at #10 likely the better option.

2 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Depends on how you view a combination of Seider and Honka/Thomson vs. who is available at #10. I think Seider is going to be a player and prefer him and Honka/Thomson over Soderstrom or Caufield. If Boldy/Podkolzin/etc. slip then picking at #10 likely the better option.

I hear you. Since drafting already poses a risk at any spot, dropping spots only increases the risk of the player not panning out. I don't feel the #19th and 32nd is enough to take the risk. 

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I hear you. Since drafting already poses a risk at any spot, dropping spots only increases the risk of the player not panning out. I don't feel the #19th and 32nd is enough to take the risk. 

For sure, fair enough.

Interesting risk/reward dynamic to consider though....certainly high risk trading out of the top 10 but at what point does having more picks increase probability of getting a real NHLer (great NHLers picked between 15 and 45 almost every year). Someone above suggested a potential swap with Arizona for #14 and #45 so perhaps that is safer.

33 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I haven't seen Seider ranked anywhere below #19 but I might have missed something. Obviously depends on who is available at #10 but I would rather have Seider (who I think has huge upside) and Honka/Thomson over Soderstrom or Caufield.

If BoldyPodkolzin/etc. slip to #10 then taking the pick might be better.

I think both Broberg and Seider are drafted before Soderstrom.  If we drop down we could still draft Soderstrom, I guess.  I'm just not big on him.  

4 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Ya you could be right. Interesting to see how that plays out. Would be nice to land Seider somehow.

Seider = a big, aggressive, highly skilled, tough, D man with huge upside.  If he's there at 10 I'm hoping JB runs to the stage to draft him.  

Our prospect pool has decent depth, but we lack top end talent. I'd rather just keep the 10. Unless Seider is Benning's guy. Trading down in that case isn't a terrible idea. It really depends on how Benning views the guys around 10 and whether or not Seider is even around at 19. Seems a bit too far down for him to still be around. Big guy, right handed, had a great Worlds showing. Rather just take the guy at 10. Too much risk involved moving down almost 10 spots for an additional 2nd rounder and risk losing the guy we (Benning and his scouting crew) want.

1 hour ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

No way. Too little of a return to drop 9 spots. Need an additonal 3rd or multiple later picks.

1 hour ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I haven't seen Seider ranked anywhere below #19 but I might have missed something.

Can't verify all of the dates on these mock rankings, and I admit some of them may have changed since the WHC, but at least half of them have Seider below your #19 position:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Can't verify all of the dates on these mock rankings, and I admit some of them may have changed since the WHC, but at least half of them have Seider below your #19 position:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

It only takes one of the teams picking between 11 and 18 to have Seider ranked as their top choice for us not to get him though.  If JB loves the player, why not just take him at 10?  

Archived