The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Tampa can do it fairly easily, I think they are the forerunner by far.  They have a lot of guys who are good players on decent value contracts that can easily be moved out.  Karlsson can sign there for $9 million which equals $11 million here.

We could probably get any/all of Miller, Johnson, Callahan, and Foote for Tanev (50% retained, and a cheap middle size forward) and Tampa ends up with lots of cap room and a crazy good defence.

Hedman-Karlsson

Sergachev-Tanev

MacDonagh-Cernak

Yeah, I keep seeing a solid opportunity for us to poach Foote. Tanev at 50% is a hell of a bargain and would replace Stralman (who is likely going elsewhere...perhaps even here July 1!). Take on one year of Callahan, retain 50% on Tanev and that should get us in the ballpark of Foote + their 1st.

And yes, moving one of their solid forwards for other futures to clear the cap for Karlsson shouldn't be hard. And yes again, that would give them one HELL of a D.

Then maybe even see if we can't package our 2nd with their 1st to get up in to the top 15-20 and nab one of the solid D left there...

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

TBL could pretty easily do it IMO. They have a bunch of D already coming off this summer. Trade Miller for futures, dump Callahan (with some of said futures) and *poof* sign Karlsson.

Can they afford to have Karlsson, Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, and Vasilevskiy all over a 8.5mil cap hit? Not to mention Hedman at 7.875 and McDonagh at 6.75. McDonagh would make the most sense to move out, but he has a full NTC until 2025-26 and if I were him I wouldn't want to leave that team haha! If they can somehow manage to sign Karlsson, while also resigning Point and Vasilevskiy, I will be super impressed and beyond terrified lol.

50 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Can they afford to have Karlsson, Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, and Vasilevskiy all over a 8.5mil cap hit? Not to mention Hedman at 7.875 and McDonagh at 6.75. McDonagh would make the most sense to move out, but he has a full NTC until 2025-26 and if I were him I wouldn't want to leave that team haha! If they can somehow manage to sign Karlsson, while also resigning Point and Vasilevskiy, I will be super impressed and beyond terrified lol.

They'd certainly have to make some tough decisions this, and in coming years but it's definitely possible. And there's worse problems to have than having too many good players :lol:

Edited by aGENT

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we could actually get EK to sign here our team instantly becomes a contender.  He's the one guy out there in Free Agency that can make the most change to a building team.  EK and Edler would be a great top pair.  Then Hughes and Tanev play second pair.  Stecher and OJ play third pair.  Hutton is traded.  Each pair now has an elite puck mover, with both their feet and their hands.  

While that defense looks great from a puck-moving and stay at home perspective, it's a tad on the soft side. As St. Louis is proving, having some size to the defense is still paramount. Sure, Edler and Juolevi are tall, and Edler can lay hits with the best of them, but the team could use some size that makes the opposition pay...…...that doesn't have to play out of their element.

51 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

They are more likely to move contracts up front than on D.  McDonagh and Hedman are their only proven veteran Ds.  

Should be feasible if they convince him to look at net value.  

Joe Smith in the Athletic (paywall): 

This is assuming the Lightning can get Karlsson to take a discount, likely pushing no state income taxes as they’ve used with other players. For example, an $8.5 million annual average in Tampa would net the same amount as $9.5 million in New York (state) and $10.5 million in San Jose, according to nationally-renowned sports tax guru Robert Raiola, the director of sports & entertainment at PKF O’Connor Davies.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Please let this be true :frantic:

Finally, we could potentially see an elite D man to join the team in its 50 year history! Have him groom Hughes to get a dynamo of offence from the back end.

Remember that feeling in 2010/2011 when our offence and power play dominated the NHL? Our forwards would instantly be better, EP and Brock would probably get a 100points a piece next season.

3 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Oh man.  This and that Panarin 'thing' are making me a bit anxious.  Both players would certainly help this team, Im just not sure about the huge contracts they would demand.  Probably never going to happen tho

7 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Oh man.  This and that Panarin 'thing' are making me a bit anxious.  Both players would certainly help this team, Im just not sure about the huge contracts they would demand.  Probably never going to happen tho

Probably the same feeling that I thought we had a real chance a winning the lottery to pick Dahlin only to drop a spot again (thank goodness for Hughes). It's exciting to think of the possibility of both or even one of them, but at the end of the day, we will likely get neither.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

They are more likely to move contracts up front than on D.  McDonagh and Hedman are their only proven veteran Ds.  

Should be feasible if they convince him to look at net value.  

Joe Smith in the Athletic (paywall): 

This is assuming the Lightning can get Karlsson to take a discount, likely pushing no state income taxes as they’ve used with other players. For example, an $8.5 million annual average in Tampa would net the same amount as $9.5 million in New York (state) and $10.5 million in San Jose, according to nationally-renowned sports tax guru Robert Raiola, the director of sports & entertainment at PKF O’Connor Davies.

Why didn't do a value comparison to Vancouver considering we are the other supposed front runner? Although with our taxes, it'll probably equivalent to signing for 15 million here ^_^

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Why didn't do a value comparison to Vancouver considering we are the other supposed front runner? Although with our taxes, it'll probably equivalent to signing for 15 million here ^_^

I seem to recall someone doing a per team comparison a few years back and iirc, we were actually around mid pack for income taxes.

Now cost of living etc is a different story. Of course they'd also have far more opportunity to land lucrative endorsement deals etc here and there's always the high quality of life, outdoors etc going for greater Vancouver.

On 5/30/2019 at 12:44 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

While that defense looks great from a puck-moving and stay at home perspective, it's a tad on the soft side. As St. Louis is proving, having some size to the defense is still paramount. Sure, Edler and Juolevi are tall, and Edler can lay hits with the best of them, but the team could use some size that makes the opposition pay...…...that doesn't have to play out of their element.

So.... Gudbranson back to Vancouver?  lol

• Haha 1

I think Panarin just wants Vancouver drive up the price.  Although Karlsson is a legit possibility to be a Canuck July 1st.  It’s a great fit for him in that we are Swede friendly, an up and coming team and maybe being in Canada is important to their children’s education... the US is messed up.  I’m sure Tampa is his number 1 choice.  But their cap issues are legit.  New York won’t go all in on Karlsson financially but the Canucks will.  I actually will not be surprised at all if we land Karlsson.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/erik-karlssons-decision-future-coming-soon/

Apparently a decision is coming :

“The word is that Erik Karlsson is taking a long, hard look at deciding if he wants to stay in San Jose,” said Friedman during the ‘Headlines’ segment on Hockey Night in Canada. “And I think we’re going to know, in about a week, if he’s going to stay or if he’s going to investigate his other free agency options.

He wants to win, the Sharks are perennially in it [and] they’ve made a good impression on him.”

I don't see him coming to Vancouver if he is win now mode as even with him we are still a few years from being a contender.

Interesting,

That would be crazy if he went back to Ottawa after the past 2 years lol. Thing is, I doubt the Sens cheap ownership/management would even offer him what other teams are willing to. They’d say something like $9m tops when he’ll be getting no short of $10.5m offers in the open market :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Interesting,

That would be crazy if he went back to Ottawa after the past 2 years lol. Thing is, I doubt the Sens cheap ownership/management would even offer him what other teams are willing to. They’d say something like $9m tops when he’ll be getting no short of $10.5m offers in the open market :lol: 

If EK returns to the Sens, then Ottawa definitely won the trade last year.

I think this is all smoke to get as many teams as possible to drive the bidding up when July 1st comes about. 

I say Canucks are a front runner given the cap space and need for an elite defenceman. We have also been a team that has been known as team Sweden for the last couple decades! 

Out chances are good. :emot-parrot:

41 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Interesting,

Just goes to show: don't believe everything the media tells you about "drama" going on. The media pounces and twists stories more than the players can twist their bones.