The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Oilers sign Swedish forward Joakim Nygard to entry level deal

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:00 PM, 6string said:

I'm now in fear of a Gagner, Nygard and Puljujarvi combination.

I won't be able to sleep.

Gagner will do his part in dragging the line down to his speed. Either that or complain to the media when Edmonton relegates him to the minors, again.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Seems an expensive risk by Oilers but perhaps they are so short on prospects they feel are NHL ready.   Either way, if the guy pans out they likely cannot keep him anyway given their CAP issues unless Holland makes Lucic and a few others magically disappear.

How’s it an expensive risk?

24 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

It’s not.  

Best case he pans out and they just gained a free asset.

meh case, he pans out and they can’t afford to resign him but at least they still get value out of him this season in a cheap contract. Unlikely that they can’t resign him either as, Next season gagner, gyba and manning come off the books freeing up over 6 million in dead cap. 

Worst case he doesn't pan out, they waive him and move on. 

This is literally the lowest risk type move a team like oilers could possibly make.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

He plays as well as they need him too, they cannot afford him.   Having an alternative on a true ELC would be so much better for their CAP situation.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s not.  

Best case he pans out and they just gained a free asset.

meh case, he pans out and they can’t afford to resign him but at least they still get value out of him this season in a cheap contract. Unlikely that they can’t resign him either as, Next season gagner, gyba and manning come off the books freeing up over 6 million in dead cap. 

Worst case he doesn't pan out, they waive him and move on. 

This is literally the lowest risk type move a team like oilers could possibly make.  

If he plays well, they only have him for the one year and then need to pay up where they likely cannot afford.   They have some equivalent prospects in Bakersfield - seemingly odd to not go their first.   I almost their your "worst case" is their best case.   The lowest risk type of move a team like the Oilers could make is to promote from within.

Not a fan of their management moves in general and was hoping, for their sake, Holland would be a glimmer of hope.   Agree to disagree I guess.

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Why not both? They need all the cheap quality players they can get. There’s literally no downside to this signing

Exactly - the idiotic GM who likes to sign guys to big dollar extensions - Chiarelli (Made sure no one scooped Koskinen from the Coilers :towel:)is long gone. This is exactly the type of move Oilers need more of due to being tight to the cap. Low risk high reward type of play.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If he plays well, they only have him for the one year and then need to pay up where they likely cannot afford.   They have some equivalent prospects in Bakersfield - seemingly odd to not go their first.   I almost their your "worst case" is their best case.   The lowest risk type of move a team like the Oilers could make is to promote from within.

Not a fan of their management moves in general and was hoping, for their sake, Holland would be a glimmer of hope.   Agree to disagree I guess.

Holland has shown he likes to over ripen his prospect in the teams ahl system rather than rush them into the NHL. Not sure why you’d expect him to change that philosophy now. 

While Benson and Marody have had good years in the AHL, it was just there first pro season. Oilers only have 17 players under contract next season (8 of which are forwards) so there’s plenty of room to add both if the prospects deem NHL ready. 

There is zero to dislike about this from an oilers perspective. They just added a promising young asset for free and cheap.

I’m not sure what kind of raise you’re expecting him to get but realistically we’re looking closer to 2-3 million range. But even if it’s slightly more as I have already pointed out, If he plays well they have plenty of cap leaving the team next season that they can afford to dish out. 

Im curious on how you can say otherwise and generally would like to see how you view this as a high risk move. 

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Im curious on how you can say otherwise and generally would like to see how you view this as a high risk move. 

He doesn’t seem to understand that the CBA dictates it had to be a one year contract, or apparently not a “real ELC”.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He doesn’t seem to understand that the CBA dictates it had to be a one year contract, or apparently not a “real ELC”.

Yep, I’m not sure what else he was expecting them to do. 

“Due to the collective bargaining agreement and the fact Nygard is a 26-year-old undrafted European, it will be a one-year deal worth a maximum of $925,000”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-sign-swedish-forward-joakim-nygard-entry-level-deal/

....I mean the other option was to simply not add a free, cheap, promising, asset to there roster.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gagner will do his part in dragging the line down to his speed. Either that or complain to the media when Edmonton relegates him to the minors, again.

Back to the Marlies lol....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep, I’m not sure what else he was expecting them to do. 

“Due to the collective bargaining agreement and the fact Nygard is a 26-year-old undrafted European, it will be a one-year deal worth a maximum of $925,000”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-sign-swedish-forward-joakim-nygard-entry-level-deal/

....I mean the other option was to simply not add a free, cheap, promising, asset to there roster.

Well, they could have promoted from within.   I just don't understand their franchise I guess.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, they could have promoted from within.   I just don't understand their franchise I guess.

And if promoting from within doesn’t workout?  Throw enough crap at the wall and some is bound to stick. Nothing wrong with making this signing. It doesn’t preclude those AHL players from cracking the roster. 

• Upvote 1