The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

13-year-old charged in playground assault

PlanB

This is a glimpse of what some of our youth are capable of and what our society has enabled sadly.  Part of me was shocked, frightened, and enraged after watching the clip but the other part of me felt completely desensitized because this is the way society has been headed for a long time imo....Burgess/Kubrick Clockwork Orange in reality.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada/2019/5/24/1_4436132.html

13-year-old charged in Saskatoon playground assault, but other kids too young for charges

CTVNews.ca Staff
with a report from CTV Saskatoon's Stephanie Villella
Published May 24, 2019 1:40 p.m. ET
Updated 12 hours ago

A 13-year-old-girl was charged Friday in connection with two recent assaults in Saskatoon, but police say that many of the other children caught on camera in the playground beating aren’t old enough for charges.

The teenager, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, appeared in court to face two counts of assault. She has since been released from custody.

The first incident happened on the evening of May 13, when a 10-year-old girl and a 14-year-old girl reported being assaulted by a group of young people.

The second alleged assault occurred on May 20, when Bonnie Halcrow, 33, was swarmed by a group of at least four people, in an incident that was captured on video by a bystander.

The video shows multiple children kicking and hitting Halcrow, who falls to the ground.

“My back is still hurting. I can’t sleep on my sides, I have to sleep on my belly,” Halcrow told CTV Saskatoon on Friday, adding that she was “shocked” that a suspect was arrested.

“I just couldn’t believe it. Like, I didn’t think any of them would be identified.”

A second teenager allegedly involved in the playground attack faces charges but has not been arrested, police said.

But most of the children seen in the video are under the age of 12, which means they are too young to be charged.

“We will be looking at working with our community partners and seeing if there’s some way to address the behavior. But from a legal standpoint, we are unable to lay charges,” said police spokeswoman Kelsie Fraser.

Fraser said police have been receiving calls about a group of young people “causing disturbances” in the neighbourhood for weeks.

“Until recently, their behavior didn’t enter into that criminal threshold, but we have been receiving a number of calls,” she said.

Saskatoon city councilor Hilary Gough said the community needs to address the incident and find ways to prevent similar ones in the future. But she also suggested that these sorts of attacks are uncommon.

“This is not a huge number of youth and this isn’t something we see often and we should be working to see that we don’t see this in our community,” she said.

Even if many of the alleged attackers aren’t old enough to face legal repercussions, their behavior should be addressed, Halcrow said.

“They need to be put through a program that will open their eyes to what their futures, their actions and what they do will lead them to,” she said.

The 13-year-old suspect has been ordered to stay away from the victims and the other children involved. She is scheduled to appear again .

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1691562&jwsource=cl

49 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Unpopular opinion, they should've been tried as adults. They need some serious rehab time.

Sadly when most young people are incarcerated.... they come out of detention centre worse off and more advanced in the criminal world than when they entered.....

Canadians don't value / invest in reducing child poverty and quality public  education is being destroyed.....   and this is the end result. Look for more and more of this as our country falls further and further into decent.....  Meanwhile.... the 1 % are getting richer and richer though.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sadly when most young people are incarcerated.... they come out of detention centre worse off and more advanced in the criminal world than when they entered.....

Canadians don't value / invest in reducing child poverty and quality public  education is being destroyed.....   and this is the end result. Look for more and more of this as our country falls further and further into decent.....  Meanwhile.... the 1 % are getting richer and richer though.

Some punks are born bad.  I miss the days of old bullies who pushed you around one on one.  Bad enough they attacked a woman but they were gutless cowards that had to it in numbers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Some punks are born bad.  I miss the days of old bullies who pushed you around one on one.  Bad enough they attacked a woman but they were gutless cowards that had to it in numbers.

when I grew up in SK there would have been another group of kids that found these punks and taught them a lesson. Now I guess its video phones and 5 years in court. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

At some point, there is a sense of personal responsibility. Sometimes we are dealt really bad hands. Sometimes people get dealt really good hands. That is life. Life is what you make of it.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

When you have social media like World Star Hip Hop and kids watch this crap and see what other people do they feel they can do it and get away with it. Social Media imo has screwed this new generation and they just have no respect for anyone anymore, they watch these videos online all the time and it's now normal for kids to act like this because they saw others on the internet do this kind of stuff. 

In this scenario it also doesn't help by the sounds of it where they're living, does sound like a bad place for kids to be growing up so that also doesn't help the situation, but it's still no excuse for what they did, but I just feel social media is making it more comfortable for kids to do these things because they see others doing it online and feel it's okay for them to do it to. 

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

When you have social media like World Star Hip Hop and kids watch this crap and see what other people do they feel they can do it and get away with it. Social Media imo has screwed this new generation and they just have no respect for anyone anymore, they watch these videos online all the time and it's now normal for kids to act like this because they saw others on the internet do this kind of stuff. 

In this scenario it also doesn't help by the sounds of it where they're living, does sound like a bad place for kids to be growing up so that also doesn't help the situation, but it's still no excuse for what they did, but I just feel social media is making it more comfortable for kids to do these things because they see others doing it online and feel it's okay for them to do it to. 

I agree with most of what you said.

Social media has made it 'glamorous' to do stuff. From Tide Pod challenges to Dancing beside your car that is in motion, people of all ages are doing stupid stuff.

I also think that blaming solely the media is short-sighted. Maybe all kids should be shown a class on the topic of consequences. Things that they might think about doing but could end up badly. Sure, a lot of maturity is needed to get to the stage of saying no to stuff, but not everyone matures quickly, if ever.

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I agree with most of what you said.

Social media has made it 'glamorous' to do stuff. From Tide Pod challenges to Dancing beside your car that is in motion, people of all ages are doing stupid stuff.

I also think that blaming solely the media is short-sighted. Maybe all kids should be shown a class on the topic of consequences. Things that they might think about doing but could end up badly. Sure, a lot of maturity is needed to get to the stage of saying no to stuff, but not everyone matures quickly, if ever.

That part is what has made me believe social media is screwing this generation, when I saw all these stupid challenges people were doing years ago, I was shocked.

People lighting themselves on fire because it's a new challenge, huh what.. how stupid are you just for some views.... Eating Tide pods wait what.. Oh look Johnny did the challenge and now he's sick but guess what I won't get sick and I'll do it and everyone will watch me doing it now.. huh what. Oh hey people are jumping out of their car for a challenge I can do that who cares if I'm on a highway and vehicles are going 100Km/h what could go wrong.... This generation is retarded and social media is making them more stupid. 

But I know kids watch that World Star Hip Hop crap, and I watched a few videos of it a year or 2 ago and I was sickened by what they were uploading, basically gangs of kids beating on people and filming it for popularity, and they find it funny watching kids gang up and beat on other kids. This is the new normal for this generation, and imo social media is creating it.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

46 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

And sometimes these kids come from affluent suburbs with “normal” families....

these types of incidents have always happened it’s just the availability of phones to record them that brings so much immediate attention.

in my teens swarming was pretty frequent.  Guys would get dummied for a hat or pair of shoes.  Rival schools would show up at events all the time.  I’ve been through it all.  Fortunately, as a result of playing in hockey teams, I could mediate as I had friends from all the schools.

if anything I think the violence among youth is less.

19 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Unfortunately we have a whole generation of entitled and lazy kids.  It starts at home.  Not to say all kids are like this, there are some upstanding ones out there. 

Exactly. There are good kids, and generally speaking have good home lives and responsible parents. 

There are just some parents and children, that have no fear of repercussions, no fear of being held accountable for their actions. Big deal, juvey for a year.....laadeeda i got suspended at school.......whatever mom said i had to clean my room. 

Take away wifi is a start. Take away cellphone is two. Take away tv and computer is three and four. Take away some of these privileges taken for granted. You dont need to hit your kids, they just need a little fear of accountability. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

these types of incidents have always happened it’s just the availability of phones to record them that brings so much immediate attention.

in my teens swarming was pretty frequent.  Guys would get dummied for a hat or pair of shoes.  Rival schools would show up at events all the time.  I’ve been through it all.  Fortunately, as a result of playing in hockey teams, I could mediate as I had friends from all the schools.

Very true. Youth crime rates and violent crime have been decreasing fairly steadily in Canada since the early 1990’s:

13EFCFE9-5F53-4EE5-8E35-569DA3624247.gif.058e036aa05139c09ad31800966fb545.gif

3AE2CDC9-9D9A-42E8-A1CC-7C844B28082F.gif.f9f01fa4fbe7c9260a572361ccf232d3.gif

People just think it’s getting worse. Which is nothing new. People always think the youth of the day are worse than previous generations.

Two thousand years ago, they said things like this:

“Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt.”

-Horace, Odes, Book III, circa 20 BC

And less than two hundred years ago:

“Morals of the children are tenfold worse than formerly… There are beer-shops frequented by boys from nine to fifteen years old, to play for money and liquor... I think morals are getting much worse, which I attribute in a great measure to the beer-shops… There were no such girls in my time as there are now. When I was four or five and twenty, my mother would have knocked me down if I had spoken improperly to her… Many have children at fifteen. I think bastard almost as common now as a woman being in the family-way by her husband… Now it's nothing thought about."

“The evidence... attests a melancholy amount of immorality, among the children of the working classes... Within a year of the time of my visit... the town was preserved from an organised scheme to fire and plunder it, merely by the information of one man, and the consequent readiness of the troops. A large body of men and boys marched on it in the dead of the night; and a very large quantity of crowsfeet to lame horses, pikes, and combustibles were found on them, at their houses, and left on the road. Several were pledged to fire their own houses. I name this, as a further illustration of the perilous ignorance and vice prevailing among that young class.”

“Among all the children and young persons I examined, I found, with very few exceptions, that their minds were as stunted as their bodies; their moral feelings stagnant. … The children and young persons possess but little sense of moral duty towards their parents and have little affection for them”

“Among them, 'Great numbers of bastards;' the bank-girls drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, sing, and care for nobody.”

“The number of girls at nailing considerably exceeds that of the boys; it may be termed the district of female blacksmiths; constantly associating with depraved adults, and young persons of the opposite sex, they naturally fall into all their ways; and drink, smoke, swear... and become as bad as men. The men and boys are usually naked, except a pair of trowsers; the women and girls have only a thin ragged petticoat, and an open shirt without sleeves.”

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1843/feb/28/condition-and-education-of-the-poor

Ah, the good old days. ;) 

Throughout the ages, people have believed the youth of today are “going to hell in a handbasket” (and I’d argue they had a much better case back then than they do now). 

Now, the problems with “the kids today” are blamed on things like social media and violent video games. But these are just the latest bugaboos.

People used to blame the “corruption of the youth” on romance novels, the waltz, and chess:

“The free access which many young people have to romances, novels, and plays has poisoned the mind and corrupted the morals of many a promising youth; and prevented others from improving their minds in useful knowledge. Parents take care to feed their children with wholesome diet; and yet how unconcerned about the provision for the mind, whether they are furnished with salutary food, or with trash, chaff, or poison?”

-Reverand Enos Hitchcock (1790)

“We remarked with pain that the indecent foreign dance called the “waltz” was introduced (we believe for the first time) at the English Court on Friday last. This is a circumstance which ought not be passed over in silence. National morals depend on national habits: and it is quite sufficient to cast one's eyes on the voluptuous intertwining of the limbs and close compressure of the bodies, in their dance, to see that it is far indeed removed from the modest reserve which has hitherto been considered distinctive of English females. So long as this obscene display was confined to prostitutes and adulteresses we did not think it deserving of notice; but now it is attempted to be forced on the respectable classes of society by the evil example of their superiors, we feel it a duty to warn every parent against exposing his daughter to so fatal a contagion.”

-The Times (1816)

“A pernicious excitement to learn and play chess has spread all over the country, and numerous clubs for practicing this game have been formed in cities and villages...chess is a mere amusement of a very inferior character, which robs the mind of valuable time that might be devoted to nobler acquirements, while it affords no benefit whatever to the body.”

-Scientific American (1859)

Help me, Jesus! My delinquent child is reading novels, dancing, and playing chess! :lol:

Look, I’m not making light of this story, or excusing the actions of the kids in question. Clearly these were criminal acts and the kids in question need to face some serious consequence for their actions.

I just find it funny how people want to blame these problems on the times, when they’re really nothing new. There’ve always been issues with youth crime, including violent crime. But people seem feel like things are getting worse, often despite clear evidence to the contrary.

It may be true that these “evils” are the product of a sick society. But it’s not a new sickness. The real ailments are things like poverty, neglect, abuse, etc, which have afflicted every society throughout history. The kids today aren’t any worse than those of the past. For the most part, they are probably better than at any other time in history. But problems still exist. And blaming Twitter and Fortnight (or even romance novels, the waltz, and chess), isn’t the answer.

I mean, I get it. The youth of today are entitled and lazy. But that’s because they are the youth. Kids are friggin annoying! They always have been. Just ask this guy:

“Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline, the haste to know and do all befitting man's estate before its time, the mad rush for sudden wealth and the reckless fashions set by its gilded youth”

-Granville Stanley Hall (1904)

The more things change, the more they stay the same. ;) 

(Note: I lifted many of the quotes and source materials from here:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/52209/15-historical-complaints-about-young-people-ruining-everything)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Grew up in Victoria in 60’s/70’s.  I can’t recall ever hearing about “swarming” at all.  Fights were well attended but it was between 2 individuals and the crowd always made sure it remained so.  Overall rates may be declining,  but more egregious attacks “seem” to be the norm now.  Maybe it’s just more widely disseminated on media 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Grew up in Victoria in 60’s/70’s.  I can’t recall ever hearing about “swarming” at all.  Fights were well attended but it was between 2 individuals and the crowd always made sure it remained so.  Overall rates may be declining,  but more egregious attacks “seem” to be the norm now.  Maybe it’s just more widely disseminated on media 

I agree.  I should clarify:  late 80’s and nineties growing up in Vancouver there many one on one fights and once done, that was the end of it.  But for some reason during most of the nineties when I was in high school, although one on one still happened, there were far more swarmings, suckerings, and retribution fights/swarmings.

the main problem was that every act that wasn’t one on one was for no legit reason - just violence.

one on ones were over a matter of some sort and some times the two involved ended up as friends or at least shared a common respect.

• Cheers 1

I’m disappointed anyone who saw this didn’t step in and help the victim.  Our willingness to help each other isn’t what it was.  The best lesson those little bastards could have learned is someone stepping and dropping a few of them and that we as a society won’t put up with that type of crap.