The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

13-year-old charged in playground assault

PlanB

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Surely you were swarmed by a similar age group.

i couldn’t punch a pre teen or a 14 year old.

im big and strong enough to stand my ground and rag doll the lot however.

but honestly I’d fear a sentence for punching a kid even if I was attacked.

One time by guys in late teens and 20s when I was 13 or 14. Got a few in before forced to turtle....   another time by some younger natives in Ponolka Alberta when I was 17 for being a skater. I wrecked those 2 of those 4  kids before the other 2 ran. Then got the hell of out of town...  Another time by a few Surrey thugs here in Whistler when in my early 20s....that is where the back to the wall and short straight punches lesson was well learned.  That time I was worried about being stabbed. I fought for my damn life and then sprinted the moment I could. 

I wouldn't touch a pre teen honestly. Maybe throw to the ground or something. Also it depends on the size of the 14 year old. If they actually try to assault you you're within your rights to defend yourself until the threat is no longer there. I wouldn't hesitate to land one good one to make space to flee ;) 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Agree.

an illegal act like this should carry the same consequence for male or female.

still.  A male my age and size attacks me and I punch back.  A female; I do not use strikes.

I was in a full on rumble (well several truth be told...) this one time. This big headed native chick was kicking my buddy in the head while he was held down by some guy....I KO'd her and have no regrets.  

Vancouver Island was a rough place in the 90s....  I was telling an Aussie friend some of the stories and he didn't believe it. Then my brother visited and some of the brawls came up....my buddy was blown away just how often that $&!# went down over there.  

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

One time by guys in late teens and 20s when I was 13 or 14. Got a few in before forced to turtle....   another time by some younger natives in Ponolka Alberta when I was 17 for being a skater. I wrecked those 2 of those 4  kids before the other 2 ran. Then got the hell of out of town...  Another time by a few Surrey thugs here in Whistler when in my early 20s....that is where the back to the wall and short straight punches lesson was well learned.  That time I was worried about being stabbed. I fought for my damn life and then sprinted the moment I could. 

I wouldn't touch a pre teen honestly. Maybe throw to the ground or something. Also it depends on the size of the 14 year old. If they actually try to assault you you're within your rights to defend yourself until the threat is no longer there. I wouldn't hesitate to land one good one to make space to flee ;) 

Sensible.  Good job.  Agree.

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

I was in a full on rumble (well several truth be told...) this one time. This big headed native chick was kicking my buddy in the head while he was held down by some guy....I KO'd her and have no regrets.  

Vancouver Island was a rough place in the 90s....  I was telling an Aussie friend some of the stories and he didn't believe it. Then my brother visited and some of the brawls came up....my buddy was blown away just how often that $&!# went down over there.  

I don’t see the problem here.  I’m referring to some mouthy drunk woman scenario throwing a weak punch at me or attempting to grab me.  This is where I’d just move on from the situation.

there is no ego in me enough to get into trouble or disgrace myself amongst those who know me for decking a female over this.

your situation is totally different.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

I don’t see the problem here.  I’m referring to some mouthy drunk woman scenario throwing a weak punch at me or attempting to grab me.  This is where I’d just move on from the situation.

there is no ego in me enough to get into trouble or disgrace myself amongst those who know me for decking a female over this.

your situation is totally different.

Oh for sure....I've just had a few beers, am waiting on friends to get for the Raps game and am telling old war stories at this point :P

Ftr.  I’ve only fought to even up numbers when a friend was jumped in Vancouver,  when my brother had a knife pulled on him (twice) and in hockey.

i got beat up a bit because the numbers weren’t equal 3-2 and I was a skinny 18 year old at the time and the men were in their 30’s.  But I held my own I’d say.  It was broken up my another group of men.

no police were involved.  We walked away, except for the one guy my buddy knocked out.  And then had a great story to share.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Surely you were swarmed by a similar age group.

i couldn’t punch a pre teen or a 14 year old.

im big and strong enough to stand my ground and rag doll the lot however.

but honestly I’d fear a sentence for punching a kid even if I was attacked.

This. 

All it takes it one "out-of-context" video of you punching the lights out of a little punk or just maybe you only toss the kid over some shrubs... and suddenly it'll be "Adult attacking defenseless little children..... are your children safe?!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

This. 

All it takes it one "out-of-context" video of you punching the lights out of a little punk or just maybe you only toss the kid over some shrubs... and suddenly it'll be "Adult attacking defenseless little children..... are your children safe?!"

That's a good point.

I think that ultimately is the hesitation.

For me I would decide to see it as self defence. I would not hold back during a group attack. Two small people are capable of a lot of control and damage. I remember learning a two man 'prison take down'. You get one person to bear-hold the legs and not let go, the other is free to do their will.

I know these were kids, but they could have killed the victim. What if she has a medical condition, what if she falls on her neck, what if one of those pukes actually has a good left?

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That's a good point.

I think that ultimately is the hesitation.

For me I would decide to see it as self defence. I would not hold back during a group attack. Two small people are capable of a lot of control and damage. I remember learning a two man 'prison take down'. You get one person to bear-hold the legs and not leg go, the other is free to do their will.

I know these were kids, but they could have killed the victim. What if she has a medical condition, what if she falls on her neck, what if one of those pukes actually has a good left?

Spent four years in S’toon.

lots of street gangs. Lots of knives.  Even obviously.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Grew up in Parksville. 

Our yearly Sand Castle Days post dance rumbles were quite a thing.

Come on up Duncan,  Come on down Port Alberni...Let's dance.

I was at 'the riot' that got it shut down for a few years ;) 

For us it was CR vs Courtenay. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Little hoodlums for sure, most will graduate to grown up criminals soon.

If you are old enough to attack me, you are old enough to loose teeth. 

Damn straight. 

Pain is the single best teacher the human race has ever known. 

“Fire hot ouch.” “Be a dink get punched in nose ow. “

• Haha 1

I lived most my teen years in rural Nova Scotia during the 1970s.

Almost always, fights (with weapons or not) were fought one on one.

If someone else jumped in, another person would immediately even up the odds.

Battles between groups seldom happened; but when they did, the time, place, and number of combatants were agreed on prior to the fight (sort of like in the film:"The Outsiders").

The very rare time that someone got swarmed, the victim always had lots of older brothers and "cousins" that would take retribution on the entire group of attackers sooner rather than later.

You have to remember that back then, most families out east had 5 to 7 kids.

No one ever "got away with it", yet the RCMP were never called.

Rural Nova Scotia was quite a unique place back then, as there was absolutely no hazing at any level of schooling.

Again, older brothers and relatives made hazing too dangerous a pastime for anyone to even attempt it.

We seldom saw any females fighting, and never saw them strike a male, or an adult of either sex.

I feel pretty positive that back then, if they had tried either of the latter two scenarios, they would have been knocked the "*" out.

I was always tall for my age and an A student, so dealing with bullies was a common occurrence for me.

My father taught me to attempt to talk my way out of a fight or simply just run away.

However, if neither of those options worked or were not available, his advice to me was to "hit first, hit hard, hit often, and don't stop until they back off, THEN RUN".

This certainly helped me in my early 20s; I worked as a bouncer for 3 years at three of the roughest bars in Calgary, and I never had to strike anyone as I was a very good talker.

Verbal persuasion almost always worked; on the rare occasion it was unsuccessful, it just became a wrestling match between a drunk customer and a sober bouncer.

In my opinion, the changes in Canadian criminal law since the 1970s have emboldened pre-teens and teens to do anything that they want, with very little fear of substantial consequences.

It's not movies, music, social media, or even parenting (though it's certainly tougher for single parent families) that's allowing this to happen, it's the laws that are currently on the books.

• Upvote 1