The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Bennett by trade or offer sheet

Offer next years 2nd round pick+  to Calgary in a sign and trade for Bennett, or offer sheet him to 4 years @ 3.5 million.   Compensation if Calgary doesn't match is a 2nd.   

He might look good in our top 6 on the wing or in the 3C spot.  Could move Sutter to the wing or trade to recuperate a pick and save some cap.  Gaudette can play the wing and be there for when injuries happen.

Petterson, Horvat, Bennett, Beagle is a solid center group when you have Sutter and Gaudette to step in.  We become younger, faster, more skilled and more physical. 

Contract projections have him at 3 years @ 2.85 million.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, JohnnyCanucks12 said:

Offer next years 2nd round pick+  to Calgary in a sign and trade for Bennett, or offer sheet him to 4 years @ 3.5 million.   Compensation if Calgary doesn't match is a 2nd.   

He might look good in our top 6 on the wing or in the 3C spot.  Could move Sutter to the wing or trade to recuperate a pick and save some cap.  Gaudette can play the wing and be there for when injuries happen.

Petterson, Horvat, Bennett, Beagle is a solid center group when you have Sutter and Gaudette to step in.  We become younger, faster, more skilled and more physical. 

Contract projections have him at 3 years @ 2.85 million.

Thoughts?

I just read the SN article on this:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/offer-sheet-flames-sam-bennett-make-sense-canucks/

Bennett would make an interesting acquisition..  Tanev straight across?

but we would have to add due to Tanevs fragility.. 

It is interesting,  but where do we end up for the “extortion draft” ?

The timing of Seattle’s expansion could not we worse for any team rebuilding that shows promise.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I just read the SN article on this:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/offer-sheet-flames-sam-bennett-make-sense-canucks/

Bennett would make an interesting acquisition..  Tanev straight across?

but we would have to add due to Tanevs fragility.. 

It is interesting,  but where do we end up for the “extortion draft” ?

The timing of Seattle’s expansion could not we worse for any team rebuilding that shows promise.

Yeah I saw this article yesterday, was wondering when someone would post it here.

There is 2 problems with this, problem one is the offer sheet alone. It rarely happens, and there is a reason for that. The actual logistics of performing an offer sheet are not good, hence why it rarely happens.

They other issue is, Sam is not a top 6 forward. He is a middle 9, who could fill in on the 2nd line when need be. That is the Canucks surplus. We need to be adding potential top end talent with our 2nd round pick, not more middle 6 roll players.

• Thanks 1

Not sure what the odds are of a mid 2nd rounder turning out to be top end talent is, but its not great.  

I agree we need top 6 wingers, we only have 1, but we won't find 3 this off season.  Sam is a huge upgrade in our bottom 6, and may fit in well with Bo or EP, you never know.  He's young and I don't think his best seasons are behind him.  

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Yeah I saw this article yesterday, was wondering when someone would post it here.

There is 2 problems with this, problem one is the offer sheet alone. It rarely happens, and there is a reason for that. The actual logistics of performing an offer sheet are not good, hence why it rarely happens.

They other issue is, Sam is not a top 6 forward. He is a middle 9, who could fill in on the 2nd line when need be. That is the Canucks surplus. We need to be adding potential top end talent with our 2nd round pick, not more middle 6 roll players.

39 minutes ago, JohnnyCanucks12 said:

I read that article a couple hours after I tried to post this.  The post came later because its my first, had to wait for the registration to go through.   Read this article about the flames cap space a couple days ago.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/much-can-calgary-flames-afford-pay-tkachuk/

Brayden Schenn is a UFA this year..  kind of a Tanner Pearson type.

personally I wouldn’t mind seeing both Schenns signed with us.

Luke look like he was taking on the form that was hilighted of him as a 1st round pick.

Perhaps a resurrection of sorts.. He played solid physical smart D with Hughes in our final games.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

They'll likely need/want a cheap depth player back. Bennett was a guy I was interested in before his little resurgence as a feisty 3rd liner. Motte and a 2nd/3rd for Bennett. Motte is a Sam Bennett lite and will be cheaper. Get a decently high pick in the 2nd rounder. Would be nice if he could be had for a 3rd rounder but they probably would want a 2nd rounder. Not sure if Motte would fly for them. I really liked his play this season so I may value him more than they would.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Brayden Schenn is a UFA this year..  kind of a Tanner Pearson type.

personally I wouldn’t mind seeing both Schenns signed with us.

Luke look like he was taking on the form that was hilighted of him as a 1st round pick.

Perhaps a resurrection of sorts.. He played solid physical smart D with Hughes in our final games.

I too have an unhealthy obsession with trying to obtain brothers in Canucks colors. If we strike out on a big name like Panarin to help with our offensive woes I would be ecstatic with pursuing Schenn next year. I also hope Luke is re-signed, he looked fantastic in his short stint with the team last year, all things considered. The problem with him is we already have a 7th D in Biega. If he has shown enough to be a consistent bottom paring guy, or ok with being a 7/8 I think he is a great option.

9 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Sam Bennett is not a top 6 forward.   Canucks have too many 3rd and 4th liners.

23 years old in June, found a niche as a tough to play against middle 6 guy. I remember a game where a Calgary Flames' player was hit with a cheap shot and Bennett was first man in to throw down. He could be a really good option with Petey and Boeser as a puck hound. He doesn't have opportunities in Calgary that he'll have here. We desperately need top 6 left wingers and at this point management is taking chances with any one and everyone (IE Tanner Pearson trade). If Bennett can be had for relatively cheap, we'd be remiss not to at least call and see what's up. There was a time Baertschi didn't look like he'd reach his top 6 potential, if not for injuries I'd say he is a legit top 6 winger now. How old was he when we acquired him? 22? 23?

And just for added proof that he's got potential still. He had 4 points in 5 games in the playoffs (yeah not world breaking and yeah they lost but still it's pretty good for a guy some were giving up on). He's got that dog in him that I think Management, coaching staff and Canuck fans would really like. 

• Upvote 1

IMO, Bennett will never live up to his #4 OA draft ranking.

Even though his FO% has been good the last two seasons, I highly doubt that he will never become a Top line center, his skill set is much better suited for the LW.

That said, he can definitely contribute to the middle 6 of many teams with his speed, grit, and net-front presence.

As a fighter, he's a tough middleweight that won't back down from very many heavyweights.

He reminds me of Gary Roberts with less hockey IQ/vision.

5 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

Does an offer sheeted player have a no movement clause or NTC?

It can be worth it. With division rivals it could pay off in spades. 

RFAs can't have NTCs I am pretty sure. If I recall it was one of the reasons Nylander held out for so long cause he was worried about being traded. 

If history is any kind of guide, offer sheets rarely work.  What happens is the home team will get antagonized and match the offer (so don't plan on having any productive trade talks for awhile).  Since your offer is usually higher than average for that particular type of player, it will only raise the league salary.  Another thing, since you are the aggressor, it gives other teams the green light to go after your restricted free agents (so plan on matching their offers).  So far Bennett hasn't been special (I still remember him failing to complete a single pullup at the combine), but if you want him or other restricted free agents, it is better to go through the old fashion trade route.  Just my opinion.

WCD,

I agree with everything that you said except for the pull-up reference.

At the draft combine, Bennett was trying to hide a shoulder injury, hence his failure to complete a pull-up.

Post surgery, he has had no problem being tested as one of the fittest players on the Flames during every training camp.

4 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

WCD,

I agree with everything that you said except for the pull-up reference.

At the draft combine, Bennett was trying to hide a shoulder injury, hence his failure to complete a pull-up.

Post surgery, he has had no problem being tested as one of the fittest players on the Flames during every training camp.

I didn't know that since it was a big story coming from the combine at that time.  Thanks for letting us know 420since1974. ;)

Edited by WestCoastDave
  • Thanks 1

Would rather have our second rounder then add another guy to our bloated bottom six.  I agree he’s an upgrade .. but then we have another contracted player and won’t be trading Sutter anytime soon if ever even with retention.

Keep the pick, we got Woo last time...and we should keep using them for defenseman. 

• Cheers 1