The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hot sauce

39 minutes ago, Jaku said:

One time I was cutting Jalapenos, I had a bit of a runny nose. I went to blow my nose and I must have touched my finger to the inside of my nose. Hoo boy that was nasty.

Could be worse.  Was cutting habaneros and went to urinate...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Could be worse.  Was cutting habaneros and went to urinate...

I wear some gloves when i cut those up....   I mostly just blend them with garlic and oil now and add that way ;) 

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

When I was young and dumb, I once ordered hot wings at a Thai karaoke bar out west and actually said out loud, "hey I was born and raised in Buffalo, there's no way I can't handle whatever these people put on those wings."  I was wrong.  I took one bite swallowed it, thought my mouth and throat were melting, stupidly then touched touched my eyes, then thought my eyes were on fire, then headed to the restroom and continually washed my eyes and mouth out for a few minutes only after scrubbing my hands clean. 

Fortunately I kept it together long enough to get to the restroom so nobody was the wiser.  Needless to say, I didn't touch the wings afterwards.

To this day I wonder what they put on them.  I only remember it being a garlic-y tasting fire.

A glass of milk wudda helped huge lol. Been there!   

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm a wimp.

My son used to do the "try this" to me (often)...was always some ghost death evil fire sauce.  Dave's Insanity Sauce, etc.  He loves them so there was always a variety in the house when he lived here (my daughter used to bring them back as gifts from her travels).

I hate all forms of hot sauce.   Franks.  That's the only one I'll eat (and I love it).

Honest question, I don't know if that's a Caucasian thing, not being able to take the heat?  Seems like most white people I know can't really handle much beyond your usual Sriracha or Tabasco.  

Comment if you're Caucasian and CAN handle and love the spicier variants which I've mentioned previously, would love to be proven wrong.  Also note if it came from going somewhere e.g. Asia or somewhere else with more spices in their cuisine, I have a theory that enjoyment of spice is ultimately nurtured.

Edited by Phil_314

10 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

A glass of milk wudda helped huge lol. Been there!   

I was at a bar.  Back when I used to drink, I enjoyed Ice Picks (iced tea,vodka).  Never mix copious amounts of vodka with milk.  The milk will curdle and ball up in your stomach and you'll be heaving alcohol and curdled milk.

Also, I was playing the whole thing off and only mentioned something when I rubbed my eyes.  Chugging down milk would have gotten me a lot of razzing after I bragged that I wouldn't have a problem with whatever they put on the wings.

To this day I wonder if they bartender overheard me and told the cook to pour some kind of pepper extract into the sauce.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Oh man. Looks delicious!

I like a little burn, but this is the hottest stuff I’ve ever had.  Mind you, it was 30 years ago.   Spent a few years in Saskatoon and every summer they would have “Folkfest”.   Purchase a passport to ride the bus and go to different pavilions around the city.  Lasted a week if I recall correctly.  Of course the favourites were the Irish and German pavilions.  I don’t know why :P.  This sauce was with jerk chicken at the Caribbean pavilion. 

Edited by sonoman

So, I’m a hot sauce freak. I love it.  It goes on everything, and heavy.   

I have family in Jamaica, and I constantly get them to send me random hot sauces they find.  Majority of Jamaican hot sauces are much tastier than what we usually get here, and hotter as well.  

I don’t want to have to choose between hot and flavour.   I want it all.  Lol.  

For eggs, I found one at meridian meats that was actually really tasty. It’s not super hot which is a bummer, but on eggs and chicken and what not, try Diablo.  

They have a bunch of kinds, this picture I just pulled off google. 

64763AD9-23AC-4D03-846B-98BE175C1654.png

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Honest question, I don't know if that's a Caucasian thing, not being able to take the heat?  Seems like most white people I know can't really handle much beyond your usual Sriracha or Tabasco.  

Comment if you're Caucasian and CAN handle and love the spicier variants which I've mentioned previously, would love to be proven wrong.  Also note if it came from going somewhere e.g. Asia or somewhere else with more spices in their cuisine, I have a theory that enjoyment of spice is ultimately nurtured.

Not that I am aware of....most I know love it.  My brother, my son, my daughter and son in law.

I think I'm just...a wimp.  

I also hate sushi...so I'm part alien.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not that I am aware of....most I know love it.  My brother, my son, my daughter and son in law.

I think I'm just...a wimp.  

I also hate sushi...so I'm part alien.

Even vegetarian sushi? or like a yam tempura sushi?

16 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Aren’t our guts based on our genetic history?  Maybe we are best eating a diet that our ancestors did?  White = a Northern European diet that are foods natural to that region?  Really hot spices are not part of that history are they?   

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Aren’t our guts based on our genetic history?  Maybe we are best eating a diet that our ancestors did?  White = a Northern European diet that are foods natural to that region?  Really hot spices are not part of that history are they?   

Sounds incredibly boring to me.