Ottawa

2019 1st (19th OA)

2019 2nd (32nd OA)

2019 2nd (44th OA)

for

Vancouver

2019 1st (10 OA)

Sven Baertschi

Futures Considerations (Eriksson July 1st)……….Maybe Sutter goes instead????

Vancouver does this to solidify their prospect pool, and by trading down, open their choices. There are no #1 Dmen outside of Byram, but there are some good #2/3 candidates in the

11 to 40 range, all with as good of a chance of developing as the next one. Depending on whether Vancouver can land the second trade or not, Vancouver gains a multitude of picks, all of which could set the Canucks up for a long time. Vancouver dips into the UFA market for Wingers, and de-values their 2020 1st by doing so.

Ottawa does this to pick up a top winger/Centreman at 10, and to add a #2/3 LW in Baertschi, the Future Consideration, which is Eriksson gives Ottawa much needed cap to reach the floor as well as veteran leadership for a young group. Eriksson's large cap hit is enticing to Ottawa.

Trade #2

Florida

2019 1st (13th OA)

2020 2nd

for 

Vancouver

2020 1st (top 5 protected)

Tanev 50%

Goldobin

DiPietro

Vancouver does this to ensure the chance of picking a quality Dman or a faller out of the top 10 (could Podkolzin be there at 13?) Vancouver clears cap

Florida does this, as they are ready to compete now, and will need to acquire pieces at discount rates that are worthy of top 4 minutes, Tanev does that. Goldobin may excel in the east and with a different club, he has the ability to be a 1st/2nd line winger, as is young enough to grow with their core. DiPietro being a quality netminder, gives Florida a top goalie prospect.

Comments: 

You have to give to get and I believe in the new NHL, that it is difficult to move players without incentives. In all Vancouver only reduces its cap by 8.2 Million per year, but long term, it will have more prospects to choose from, there by reducing cap in the future.

Vancouver's Cap Space is 38.7 Million with only 2 major hits (Brock @ 7 Million and Edler @ 5.5 Million, leaving plenty for Cap dumps, and upgrade trades) Approx 26.5 Million Cap Space

to sign incidental players, UFA's, etc.

In

2019 1st (13th OA)                                         Vancouver should go after a RHD prospect, unless a top 10 falls (Boldy, Podkolzin, Soderstrom, Seider are my choices)

2019 1st (19th OA)                                         If Boldy or Podkolzin is picked with the 13th OA, then one of RHD's Soderstrom or Seider  should be our 19th OA pick (Move up?)

2019 2nd (32nd OA)                                       Well if Knight is still there, its a no brainer, otherwise Lassi Thomson, Grewe or Foote      

2019 2nd (44th OA)                                        With this pick it is another Dman for me...….maybe Korczak?

2020 2nd (FL)                                                 Well, if we are loosing our 2020 1st, then 2 -2nds are something

Out

2019 1st (10th OA)                                          We probably should be looking at defense long term, and can pick one up a little later that will most likely fit

2020 1st (top 5 protected)                               Very little chance Vancouver end up as low in 2020, UFA's and graduation of Hughes, makes it seem unlikely

Eriksson ( 6 Million per year cap hit X 4 yrs)   Dependable Defensive forward with huge cap implications that help Ottawa, after the July 1st bonus is paid.

Tanev (2.2 Million per year cap hit X 2)           Tanev is replaceable via UFA for similar cost Example:Stralman

Baertschi                                                          Baertschi is becoming expendable, and with accumulated injuries, it is time to move on.....good offensive player

Goldobin                                                          Goldobin can score, and if he finds a coach that wants him to, he'll get first line minutes

DiPietro                                                            DiPietro is a good goalie prospect, but can be replaced, this year with a high 3rd round pick, he advances FL time schedule

I like these deals Jan Is. Like how you've recycled a lot of the guys, from whom we've already received good service. Too many bodies now, so it clears room to make for a younger roster.

The OTT deal, you might take one of their fwd prospects(eg: Balcers, Abramov) as they don't have a slew of picks until next yr's draft. Don't think they'd sell 3 from 2019.

To make that FLOR deal occur, I'd even throw in 1 of Granny/Motte.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I like these deals Jan Is. Like how you've recycled a lot of the guys, from whom we've already received good service. Too many bodies now, so it clears room to make for a younger roster.

The OTT deal, you might take one of their fwd prospects(eg: Balcers, Abramov) as they don't have a slew of picks until next yr's draft. Don't think they'd sell 3 from 2019.

To make that FLOR deal occur, I'd even throw in 1 of Granny/Motte.

Ottawa is in a tear down rebuild.  They want more picks and prospects - not trade them away.  Dorion targeted a coach to develop young players because they expect to be in a development phase the next few years.  They have enough veterans and are not going to use assets to acquire players they don't need.  They'll use free agency.

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Ottawa is in a tear down rebuild.  They want more picks and prospects - not trade them away.  Dorion targeted a coach to develop young players because they expect to be in a development phase the next few years.  They have enough veterans and are not going to use assets to acquire players they don't need.  They'll use free agency.

I think they're interesting to keep an eye on..their recent moves have made for a rather unpredictable org. On their HFpage, there are quite a few varied opinions on names they'll have coming & going. With all their turnover(& selling stars) they'll soon have an excess at various positions, if they don't already.

Lots of their fans discuss pkging assets to move up the draft order.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I think they're interesting to keep an eye on..their recent moves have made for a rather unpredictable org. On their HFpage, there are quite a few varied opinions on names they'll have coming & going. With all their turnover(& selling stars) they'll soon have an excess at various positions, if they don't already.

Lots of their fans discuss pkging assets to move up the draft order.

Their recent moves were to add more picks and prospects.  Ottawa is not going to move prospects before they know whether they can become impact players or not.  They want to have them in the lineup next year.  It's a developmental year for them.  

For all the craziness coming out of OTT the past 18 months, you have to give them credit they’ve piled up a ridiculous amount of picks in a short time.  They also have a long track record of drafting well ahead of their draft position, Stone might be their best example, and had Chabot, White and Batherson in the system as recent picks that are now becoming NHLers.   If they stick to their mean drafting a lot of those picks will turn into good players too.   Could it be that they landed on their feet? 

Archived