The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Remake the Third Line

This team needs to remake the third line. Need more skill and jump to make the third line a threat.

Assuming the Canucks sign a top 6 winger, what do you think of targeting Mikael Granlund out of Nashville? 1 year left at 5.75M.

UFA - Pete - Boeser

Baer - Bo - Leivo/Pearson

Roussel - Mik Granlund - Leivo/Pearson

LE - Beagle - Virtanen

Trade Sutter +, not sure what else it would take. I know Poile wants to shake it up a bit. 

Granlund is a borderline 1st line player with two-way abilities IMO, not a 3rd line player. It would be nice, like how Pittsburgh had J. Staal as their third line centre once, but not usually plausible.

Granlund didnt play a full season this year. But for the past two years he put up 67 and 69 points. That would be more than either Horvat or Petterson got this year I beleive. 

Wouldn't mind having him. But he is probably a first line player on our team. 

Where's Gaudette? Did you not see him looking good out there, and better every game?  He gets off good shots from good areas. Only a matter of time before he starts putting up 30, 40 points from the 3rd line. Its players like Virtanen that need to start putting up numbers and showing those hands they had in junior. And as much as I like how he was playing between and after the concussions, we are one hit from losing Baer forever. So its best to start planning for that ahead of time.  This team needs scoring wingers. Very badly. MacEwen is knocking at the door too, and knows how to score gritty goals. Drafting and building from within. And if you sign anyone, sign guys that put the puck in the net.

Am I the only one on our board that's looking at Motte like our future Burrows/Hansen?  

Motte is a lock for our lineup based on last season, I would even give him a run on the 3rd line.  

I'd love to acquire Granlund although it would be awkward as his brother's leaving town.  

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Where's Gaudette? Did you not see him looking good out there, and better every game?  He gets off good shots from good areas. Only a matter of time before he starts putting up 30, 40 points from the 3rd line. Its players like Virtanen that need to start putting up numbers and showing those hands they had in junior. And as much as I like how he was playing between and after the concussions, we are one hit from losing Baer forever. So its best to start planning for that ahead of time.  This team needs scoring wingers. Very badly. MacEwen is knocking at the door too, and knows how to score gritty goals. Drafting and building from within. And if you sign anyone, sign guys that put the puck in the net.

Great insight!

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Am I the only one on our board that's looking at Motte like our future Burrows/Hansen?  

Motte is a lock for our lineup based on last season, I would even give him a run on the 3rd line.  

I'd love to acquire Granlund although it would be awkward as his brother's leaving town.  

Mottes of the hockey world are much needed in the bottom six.

56 minutes ago, xereau said:

Jake Virtanen (22 years old) 70GP 15 goals 10 assists 25 points -4, 2.4 point shares 45% ozone starts

Adam Gaudaette (22 years old) 56GP 5 goals 7 assists 12 points -8, 0.5 point shares 59% ozone starts

Funny how we hold Jake to a much higher standard than others, if you adjust Gaudette's numbers for 70 games he still has fewer points than Jake has goals. Gaudette is a two way center not trusted with faceoffs (and when he was he was 40% in the dot) and not trusted with the defensive assignments of Jake. Some how he is doing less offensively with better zone deployment. Jake and Gaudette are the same age too. But no, Gaudette looks good and Jake needs to do more :rolleyes: 

And before you use the draft position argument. Don't. It doesn't matter anymore. Lets be honest Jake will never reach the potential of a 6th overall player. But can we stop acting like the dude isn't doing enough or isn't improving? Considering his deployment and his quality of linemates Jake is doing just fine. Give Jake 60% ozone starts and see where his offense ends up. People talk about Gaudette like he's ripping it up and they talk about Jake like he is a scrub out there.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake Virtanen (22 years old) 70GP 15 goals 10 assists 25 points -4, 2.4 point shares 45% ozone starts

Adam Gaudaette (22 years old) 56GP 5 goals 7 assists 12 points -8, 0.5 point shares 59% ozone starts

Funny how we hold Jake to a much higher standard than others, if you adjust Gaudette's numbers for 70 games he still has fewer points than Jake has goals. Gaudette is a two way center not trusted with faceoffs (and when he was he was 40% in the dot) and not trusted with the defensive assignments of Jake. Some how he is doing less offensively with better zone deployment. Jake and Gaudette are the same age too. But no, Gaudette looks good and Jake needs to do more :rolleyes: 

And before you use the draft position argument. Don't. It doesn't matter anymore. Lets be honest Jake will never reach the potential of a 6th overall player. But can we stop acting like the dude isn't doing enough or isn't improving? Considering his deployment and his quality of linemates Jake is doing just fine. Give Jake 60% ozone starts and see where his offense ends up. People talk about Gaudette like he's ripping it up and they talk about Jake like he is a scrub out there.

This x1000. I for the life of me cannot figure out why people are so much harder on Virtanen than on Gaudette when Gaudette hasn't even done remotely close to as much as Virtanen at the NHL level.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

This x1000. I for the life of me cannot figure out why people are so much harder on Virtanen than on Gaudette when Gaudette hasn't even done remotely close to as much as Virtanen at the NHL level.

Virtanen went 6th overall, Gaudette went 149th.. when a player goes in the 5th round you aren't really expecting them to make the team so when they do and they contribute anything, it feels like a win. I think that is why people are much harder on Jake, he's expected to be a much better player. 

Just now, Justdean10 said:

Virtanen went 6th overall, Gaudette went 149th.. when a player goes in the 5th round you aren't really expecting them to make the team so when they do and they contribute anything, it feels like a win. I think that is why people are much harder on Jake, he's expected to be a much better player. 

Sure, I can see that, but as @N7Nucks said, that's long in the past now. It's time to just focus on the players and what they're doing. Right now Virtanen is the far superior player at the NHL level. Expecting him to be a "6th overall" player at this point is living in the past IMO.

11 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Sure, I can see that, but as @N7Nucks said, that's long in the past now. It's time to just focus on the players and what they're doing. Right now Virtanen is the far superior player at the NHL level. Expecting him to be a "6th overall" player at this point is living in the past IMO.

People gotta let go of the 6th overall tag to Jake. He's not likely going to reach it. But what he has done is still very good and we shouldn't keep bombarding him with "do more" while others get uber praise for not even doing half of what Jake is doing. Jake is a good 3rd liner for us and he had a decent, albeit shortened, look with Petey. He's not playing bad, not bad enough that we should keep downplaying what he is doing just because it's not production of what we expect from a 6th overall.

If you get Granlund, you automatically stick him beside Bo.  He easily has offensive flare and two way acumen that would allow him to be very successful beside Bo.  He doesn't really play centre, not since his first few seasons in Minny, but later was moved to the wing where he has spent most of his time flanking Mikko Koivu and former Wild Nino Nieddereiter.  He is a very versatile but highly skilled forward, so might be a hard deal to pull him out of Smashville.

However, Nashville gave away a promising guy in Fiala to get Granlund, so I doubt they part with him right away.  However, if they do decide they want to free up cap space to chase after Matt Duchene, who David Poile seems to really really like him.  He went after him before he was dealt to Ottawa a year ago, and went after him at the trade deadline.  Gotta think he will go hard for him in FA, however, Nashville is lacking cap space.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/05/26/nashville-predators-defence-at-crossroads/

The Predators’ window for winning a title is closing, but Poile can extend it by making the right moves. It’s not just defence that could be on the go as Kyle Turris, Mikael Granlund, Craig Smith, and Nick Bonino could be on the block. The Predators might be in the market to get free agent Matt Duchene.

Would they be willing to part with Granlund as a cap dump for a lesser return?

Something like Goldobin and a mid round pick for Granlund would be something I would be willing to do.

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Mikkel Granlund

Baertschi-Sutter-MacEwen

Motte-Beagle-Virtanen

IR: Roussel

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Motte = Chris Higgins 2.0

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Jake's compete level pisses me off. And so does his fake tough guy after the whistles BS. I've not given up on him but he needs to be better. More consistent.  And use his linemates more.  Extremely tired of his wing rushes and flip shot on net from 10 degree angle.

Archived