The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers name Dave Tippett as head coach

Rate this topic

#planparadedownwhyteave

Just read that he wants to put Draisatl with McDavid - that worked so well for Hitch lol. Oiler's problem has never been coaches - problem is a GM who saddled them salary cap wise. Sure hope Connor and Leon learned the Trap. I think the Oilers make the playoffs with him as coach but they will be such a 1 dimensional Line they will get ousted in the 1st round.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

I thought McLellan was a good hire. So I am hesitant to say this is a good hire......even though I think it is a good hire.  lol

Which makes me wonder is Edmonton just uncoachable? Or do they need to get old school and build from the net out? 

Is Sekera healthy?

They have Klefbom back, Nurse is stepping up and they're adding at least Bouchard. I suspect Edmonton's defence, particularly under a great defensive coach? Will do very well.

A great defensive coach, who does not play mind games anyway, in Hitchcock.

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Wow, I think this is actually a good hire. Too bad for Seattle they lost him though. It's still early but I like the moves Holland has made so far, just wish it wasn't for the Oilers.

What other moves has he made?

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

This is actually a good hire. Dave Tippett's system is going to be very different than what they are used to seeing.

Isn’t that what they said about Hitch?

Am I missing something but isn’t Tippett just a svelter version of Hitchcock?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Is Sekera healthy?

They have Klefbom back, Nurse is stepping up and they're adding at least Bouchard. I suspect Edmonton's defence, particularly under a great defensive coach? Will do very well.

A great defensive coach, who does not play mind games anyway, in Hitchcock.

You're underestimating how brutal Bouchard is in his own zone.  Tippett's a good coach, but I don't think Scotty Bowman would be able to teach this pylon how to play defense.  I pity Edmotn's goalies if they gift a spot to a defenseman who can't play defense.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What other moves has he made?

Pushing Craig MacTavish out and firing Duane Sutter (their head of pro scouting). They are not the biggest moves, but it is moving out stale leadership and guys that have been there for a long time. 

Meh. I find it an odd hire as I dont see Tippets style meshing with the current cast. His style is similar to Hitchs is it not? In the end it doesn't matter. It's a tire fire and it will be years before it's under control. 

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Seattle hasn't even hired a GM yet. Kind of hard to get hired when there's no one to hire you? 

He'd been working for Seattle's upcoming team as a senior adviser. 

Yeah, that's not a coaching job but Edmonton? 

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

$$ and the opportunity is now I suppose. 

Edmonton has certainly upgraded on GM and coaching, thats for sure. Tippett doesn't have any more tools in the box than Hitch had to play with, so Holland has to get busy if that team is going to make steps, and thats not going to be easy. Hopefully we hear "I have a trade to announce" that gets us Edmonton's 8th ::D

It's technically an NHL coaching job even if it's just barely. Surely he could have caught on elsewhere as a head coach if he'd been interested.

But yeah, I don't see him getting much more out of that squad but we'll see? 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wanted to get into the saddle again. Hopefully the horse doesn't buck and he falls off. 

It's a three year deal which means he'll probably be fired after two given how Edmonton goes through coaches

He didn't do too much for Arizona. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with Edmonton. I assume they will try a NYI approach and try to shut teams down even at the cost of offense. I wonder how that will affect McDavid and Draisaitl's point production for those in fantasy pools.