The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers name Dave Tippett as head coach

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You're underestimating how brutal Bouchard is in his own zone.  Tippett's a good coach, but I don't think Scotty Bowman would be able to teach this pylon how to play defense.  I pity Edmotn's goalies if they gift a spot to a defenseman who can't play defense.

C'mon now? 

Bouchard could be quicker to the puck. He could close gaps and hold up oncoming forwards better. He steals pucks, and is active in his zone though. Is big enough he can handle NHL forwards.

He also moves it very effectively when he does get it. A key problem in Edmonton. Who need to uncork their fleet forwards, notably McDavid. But also Yamamoto & Pool party. Who received plenty of stretch passes in junior & Europe, WJC's. But dried up in Edmonton. Evan Bouchard who can absolutely send people off with a great first pass, join the rush. And is astute in the offensive zone, the best in his draft class. He gets his shot through and is very clever protecting and distributing the puck. He will immediately improve their PP.

If you go back to the draft discussions. I did have him behind Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist.  Its not that I don't agree there are better defensive, defenceman? Might get walked occasionally, till he figures out the speed.

But he will still help that club!  

• Cheers 1

Edmonton is just a tire fire they keep trying to smother with oil. 

Its funny. Out of mclellan, hitch, probably tippett, the only coach to get them to the playoffs in the last decade? Was Krueger....and they....fired him!

hahaha

cant remember how to spell ralphies last name cant be bothered

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

C'mon now? 

Bouchard could be quicker to the puck. He could close gaps and hold up oncoming forwards better. He steals pucks, and is active in his zone though. Is big enough he can handle NHL forwards.

He also moves it very effectively when he does get it. A key problem in Edmonton. Who need to uncork their fleet forwards, notably McDavid. But also Yamamoto & Pool party. Who received plenty of stretch passes in junior & Europe, WJC's. But dried up in Edmonton. Evan Bouchard who can absolutely send people off with a great first pass, join the rush. And is astute in the offensive zone, the best in his draft class. He gets his shot through and is very clever protecting and distributing the puck. He will immediately improve their PP.

If you go back to the draft discussions. I did have him behind Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist.  Its not that I don't agree there are better defensive, defenceman? Might get walked occasionally, till he figures out the speed.

But he will still help that club!  

Good assessment. Having better players makes a team better. Brilliant. 

You should have applied for the oiler GM job. 

11 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

553 wins in 1114 regular season games over 10 years and a .446 winning percentage in the playoffs. Not exactly the stuff that dreams are made of. 

What did he have to play with?  Not much.  Too much moneyball going on in that franchise.

Who knows what he can squeeze out of the spare parts that will surround McD and Leon.  Still hope they suck, so long as they dont win any lottery for at least a decade.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Which makes me wonder is Edmonton just uncoachable? Or do they need to get old school and build from the net out? 

I think there are definitely some team chemistry problems and the previous guess at Taylor Hall didn't change much!

8 hours ago, Kragar said:

What did he have to play with?  Not much.  Too much moneyball going on in that franchise.

Who knows what he can squeeze out of the spare parts that will surround McD and Leon.  Still hope they suck, so long as they dont win any lottery for at least a decade.

A good chunk of his time was spent coaching some talented Dallas teams, where his winning % was somewhat better than it was in AZ

15 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

A good chunk of his time was spent coaching some talented Dallas teams, where his winning % was somewhat better than it was in AZ

Ok.  So he has 55.7% with Dallas, a much better team (and 2nd best coach, by record with the team, that Dallas has had since relocation), and 45.3% with a team that struggled to stay solvent.  He's not a star (no pun intended), but perhaps better than his overall record reflects?

fyi, he is lifetime 49.6, not 44.6 per your previous post.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:39 PM, PistolPete13 said:

553 wins in 1114 regular season games over 10 years and a .446 winning percentage in the playoffs. Not exactly the stuff that dreams are made of. 

You judge a coach by what they get out of what they have to work with, not by a misleading - and reductive 'bottom line' that does not necessarily represent how effective they are relative to the hand they are dealt to work with (needless to say, coaches don't build rosters) = you have to look at a franchise from top to bottom.

Assuming/expecting that Tippett should have 'made dreams' out of the Arizona Coyotes is not exactly the best starting point from which to assess a coach.

On 5/29/2019 at 1:34 AM, MystifyNCrucify said:

Edmonton is just a tire fire they keep trying to smother with oil. 

Its funny. Out of mclellan, hitch, probably tippett, the only coach to get them to the playoffs in the last decade? Was Krueger....and they....fired him!

hahaha

cant remember how to spell ralphies last name cant be bothered

It also looks like you "can't be bothered" to know anything about the NHL. Kreuger was the Oilers coach for the lockout season '12-'13 and the Oilers didn't make the playoffs that year. They made the playoffs and went to game 7 of the 2nd round under McLellan just 2 years ago. I get that most of CDC have blinders on when it comes to anything not Canuck related but c'mon man....2 years ago...you couldn't even remember that..?

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

It also looks like you "can't be bothered" to know anything about the NHL. Kreuger was the Oilers coach for the lockout season '12-'13 and the Oilers didn't make the playoffs that year. They made the playoffs and went to game 7 of the 2nd round under McLellan just 2 years ago. I get that most of CDC have blinders on when it comes to anything not Canuck related but c'mon man....2 years ago...you couldn't even remember that..?

Cant remember what i ate yesterday morning for breakfast. You are surprised i cant remember the last time the oilers iced a decent nhl team? 

Im not even gonna look that sheet up cause even with first overalls that sheety diaper of a team cant make the playoffs two years in a row. 

Talk about blinders. You got a clothespin on your nose. Oilers stink nasty like. 

I don’t really think that Tippett is a terrible coach. I just think he would have been a better fit elsewhere.

I was actually concerned that Hitch would impose his will on the Oil and drag them kicking and screaming into the playoffs. If a guy like Hitch can’t make that happen, it’s pretty hard visualizing Tippett having any better success, as he seems to have a similar coaching style.

I could be off base here as Tippett may have the people skills to induce the Oil’s“ leadership” group to buy in and lead the rest of the team to the promised land. Stranger things have happened.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:02 AM, PistolPete13 said:

I don’t really think that Tippett is a terrible coach. I just think he would have been a better fit elsewhere.

I was actually concerned that Hitch would impose his will on the Oil and drag them kicking and screaming into the playoffs. If a guy like Hitch can’t make that happen, it’s pretty hard visualizing Tippett having any better success, as he seems to have a similar coaching style.

I could be off base here as Tippett may have the people skills to induce the Oil’s“ leadership” group to buy in and lead the rest of the team to the promised land. Stranger things have happened.

Honestly, I don't think Edmonton's issue is with coaching. When you have  multiple previously successful coaches being unsuccessful in Edmonton, that's an indication something else is in the works, likely top down.