The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] The Canucks should finish building their forward group this Summer. Build Defense Later.

19 hours ago, billabong said:

I do agree with the sentiment, our D is not 1 player away from getting much better. It needs an overhaul and we don’t have the assets to replenish that right now.

The only way it’s truly gonna get better is drafting more D and be patient

What we need is a dumba, ekblad, parayko or to a lesser extent risto and those guys are simply not being shopped for cheap

now finding scoring is a little more readily available 

im on the Kapanen “hope train” I think he’d fit really nicely behind boeser on RW to play with horvat 

5years/4.2m offer sheet? Compensation a 2nd rounder? I’d pull the trigger on that 

I could have given 6 plusses for the bolded comment.

Every 3 years you need at least a PMD & a big bruising defenceman that can skate taken in the top 2 rounds; draft proportionately. Broberg is a great athlete who could bring a lot to our team. Soderstrom a more fundamentally sound, just as athletic; a less risky choice.

But I doubt $4.2 gets Kapanen to sign. In fact, I believe anyway, Toronto would think you did them a favour. And would match below market value. 

15 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Nylander played like crap the entire year because he didn’t have a training camp.  He was behind the 8 ball the entire year.

What he can do skill wise, was on display at the Worlds. I think he was the top scorer.

He could be more aggressive physically / defensively.  The skill level & speed is off the charts!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Nylander played like crap the entire year because he didn’t have a training camp.  He was behind the 8 ball the entire year.

I think he had a few months to catch up before the post season. How much time does he need to fix the mental errors. 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he had a few months to catch up before the post season. How much time does he need to fix the mental errors. 

It’s not often so cut and dry.  

If you’re lagging behind fitness wise, your body will fatigue faster than normal and this can just as easily lead to mental errors that you normally wouldn’t not make.

Ask yourself this:  Was Nylander making these same mental mistakes a year earlier?   I’m not so sure.

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

It’s not often so cut and dry.  

If you’re lagging behind fitness wise, your body will fatigue faster than normal and this can just as easily lead to mental errors that you normally wouldn’t not make.

Ask yourself this:  Was Nylander making these same mental mistakes a year earlier?   I’m not so sure.

That playoff goal on his giveaway behind the net was pretty bad. 

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I could have given 6 plusses for the bolded comment.

Every 3 years you need at least a PMD & a big bruising defenceman that can skate taken in the top 2 rounds; draft proportionately. Broberg is a great athlete who could bring a lot to our team. Soderstrom a more fundamentally sound, just as athletic; a less risky choice.

But I doubt $4.2 gets Kapanen to sign. In fact, I believe anyway, Toronto would think you did them a favour. And would match below market value. 

What he can do skill wise, was on display at the Worlds. I think he was the top scorer.

He could be more aggressive physically / defensively.  The skill level & speed is off the charts!

Ya I’m hoping for broberg. Just seems to have more hype around him. 

Toronto cant afford kapanen around 4m. Of course they might match, but they’ll have their arms tied up in marner so it might expose kappy

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, billabong said:

Toronto cant afford kapanen around 4m. Of course they might match, but they’ll have their arms tied up in marner so it might expose kappy

Just have this feeling about Broberg too.  A lot to like about his game.  I think you have to use every tool to improve every position.  For example my approach would be:

-draft Broberg (Edler replacement who can also be mentored by Edler)

-trade 2020 1st + Hutton for Ristolainen (PMD RHD we’ve never had)

-offer sheet or trade a second for Puljujarvi (Lotto ticket with 2nd being the risk)

-sign Panarin to firm up Scoring depth.  Someone like Dzingel would be the backup plan.  Right age group FA.

-bring Tree back as soon as possible 

-trade away Sutter, granlund, and Tanev to reclaim what you can

If our D looks like:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Stecher

Broberg (Waiting in the wings)

I would be very happy!

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

That playoff goal on his giveaway behind the net was pretty bad. 

Fair enough, but even the best of players make huge gaffe’s every now and then.

It’s only a problem if this happens frequently (and I’m not sure if that’s the case with Nylander).

2 hours ago, billabong said:

Good point regarding Kapanen.  

I think that’s why Dubas might even be more willing to unload Nylander before that would become an issue.   A team like the Islanders will likely be busting at the chops trying to get even with Toronto for the Tavares situation.

We can try and offer sheet Kapanen, but Kapanen would likely have numerous suitors on July 1st.  Why would Kapanen sign our offer sheet instead of another teams’?

I say be proactive and make a play for Nylander.  Get a young asset, Toronto gets 10th overall (which would likely be better compensation than if he let Nylander walk), and you help Toronto with their cap situation.......which then strengthens the relationship between us and Dubas.