The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rodrigo Abols to Panthers

Although Rodrigo is not a particularly strong prospect, I think we gave up on him way too early. He was a 7th round pick and was picked over Ronning, which made this pick even worse.

That being said, I have no idea how good/bad Ronning is doing now.

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Although Rodrigo is not a particularly strong prospect, I think we gave up on him way too early. He was a 7th round pick and was picked over Ronning, which made this pick even worse.

Not great. He split his time between the AHL and ECHL last year.

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Not great. He split his time between the AHL and ECHL last year.

I guess we'll never know what goes on in the decision making for these players, both on the management level and at the ice one. From what I see, and this could be off-base, they got impatient with a 7th rounder (lol). It's probably not a monumental mistake, but I think it is a mistake not giving this guy a chance. A 7th round pick is a longggg shot, I'm well aware, but he is still a player.

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I guess we'll never know what goes on in the decision making for these players, both on the management level and at the ice one. From what I see, and this could be off-base, they got impatient with a 7th rounder (lol). It's probably not a monumental mistake, but I think it is a mistake not giving this guy a chance. A 7th round pick is a longggg shot, I'm well aware, but he is still a player.

don't forget that the prospect has some say in this too, particularly if their development curve is on the longer side. 

I was a little sad to see us not keep Brassard but Rodrigo wasn’t ever a player I thought would make it. As @Dazzle said, I wanted us to take the home town Ronning with (one of two 7ths that year) our last pick. Panthers clearly see something in him, along with that Curtis Valk fellow. 

2 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Queue the asset management posts...

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Although Rodrigo is not a particularly strong prospect, I think we gave up on him way too early.

Did you guys set this up?

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

A team only has so many professional contracts they can have and if you kept every single draft pick you would soon run out of said contracts quite quickly.   Some hard decisions have to be made and sometimes your hard decision becomes an opportunity for both the player and another organization.   

Some people are looking at this like he is an NHL player after signing a ELC. This gives him the same street cred of Adam Fox, Mackenze Stewart and Yan-Pavel Laplante. Florida is hoping he can become a solid nhl 4th line player, will be happy if he becomes a AHL regular and wont shed a tear if he is ECHL fodder.

For the people that think we gave up on him too early... we drafted him as an overager and he was cut from the winterhawks the next fall, had to scramble to find a spot in the Q then headed overseas. He wasn't at the time and still might not be worthy of a contract spot.

All things being said I wish him the best and hope that he can carve a career out in the NHL.

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Not sure how those equate...

Archived