The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini's under fire for the mistreatment of migrant workers.

47 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

You're soft. At 14 this is the exact type of job everyone should have. Instead, we have thousands of couch potato, internet addicted teens who are softer than marshmallows who refuse to do menial tasks. So along came the TFW program to combat a lack of willing workers and crop loss.

You hit the nail on the head.   How many people are willing to work in the hot sun for 8-10 hours crouched down with bugs all around them? 

Another factor to considered are the social benefits offered to Canadian citizens.   Why work in the hot sun when you can get more money on Welfare than working in the fields?

You could sit on your ass doing nothing and get money so why bother go picking berries.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DonLever said:

You hit the nail on the head.   How many people are willing to work in the hot sun for 8-10 hours crouched down with bugs all around them? 

Another factor to considered are the social benefits offered to Canadian citizens.   Why work in the hot sun when you can get more money on Welfare than working in the fields?

You could sit on your ass doing nothing and get money so why bother go picking berries.

We are (sadly) creating an entire generation of citizens that believe the government should take care of all their needs.  What happens to this generation of needy people when the money runs out and the tax payers elect a right wing government promising the handouts will end?  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are (sadly) creating an entire generation of citizens that believe the government should take care of all their needs.  What happens to this generation of needy people when the money runs out and the tax payers elect a right wing government promising the handouts will end?  

that still won't solve the problem of cheap global labour. The real problems will start when you ask people to pay the full freight of our wages for their clothes and cell phones and food. $4,000 iphones and $5 bananas won't go over well. 

Of course people should be treated with fairness, but sometimes I wonder where people think things come from these days. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that still won't solve the problem of cheap global labour. The real problems will start when you ask people to pay the full freight of our wages for their clothes and cell phones and food. $4,000 iphones and $5 bananas won't go over well. 

Of course people should be treated with fairness, but sometimes I wonder where people think things come from these days. 

History shows that war is (9 out of 10 times) fought for economic reasons.  Maybe the next world war will to reset our world economy?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

History shows that war is (9 out of 10 times) fought for economic reasons.  Maybe the next world war will to reset our world economy?  

I dunno... the cheap fruit wars? 

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The slander in some of these posts is truly awesome.   

It's an Internet chat site.  We make stuff up.  We write stuff that is crazy too.  Aquilini and his family are whatever.  I don't care!  Get us a team that wins Cups!  That's all that matters, or should matter.  If that means saving a few thousand dollars (by ripping off the poor) so those dollars can be used to get rid of LE, then DO IT!  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

You're soft. At 14 this is the exact type of job everyone should have. Instead, we have thousands of couch potato, internet addicted teens who are softer than marshmallows who refuse to do menial tasks. So along came the TFW program to combat a lack of willing workers and crop loss.

Sure I'm soft. But I got an education and now I make $200k/year doing 90% less work than I was doing on that job, so Thanks! 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The world needs to stop trying to cock block mother nature when she generates natural disasters or viruses to thin the herd, and separate the wheat from the chaff. Let her get down to business.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's an Internet chat site.  We make stuff up.  We write stuff that is crazy too.  Aquilini and his family are whatever.  I don't care!  Get us a team that wins Cups!  That's all that matters, or should matter.  If that means saving a few thousand dollars (by ripping off the poor) so those dollars can be used to get rid of LE, then DO IT!  

Well Alf, I am pretty sure you are being sarcastic as I don't think most would want anyone "ripping off the poor" but I don't personally think that happened here as it appears everyone was paid for the hours they worked and within the contracts they signed.   I think some who are responding have their halos on a little tight.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

Sure I'm soft. But I got an education and now I make $200k/year doing 90% less work than I was doing on that job, so Thanks! 

Serious question, is is possible to live in Vancouver on only $200K Canadian?   Given what I understand the average house price to be, you must have a lot of people with $1 Million plus mortgages and even with generationally low global interest rates, that is still upwards of 40% of that $200 K and isn't the overall tax rate (Federal, Provincial, GST, Provincial Tax, House Tax, Fuel/Carbon taxes etc.) up to a total of about 50% (I understand your "Tax Free" day is about 1 July), so you are getting by for the rest on $20 K?   

Looking from the outside, I would have thought Vancouver would be tough on that level of income.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Lots of parents are to rich these days.that and lots of these jobs are super sketchy when my kids are ready to work i wont want them working for these kinds of people.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no one gets pushed out of these jobs, no one who is raised here will do them. Migrant labour has been part of Canadian farming for decades. 

One reason that no one will do these jobs is brutal working conditions for terrible wages with no benefits.

Improve the working conditions, wages and benefits and many canadians would do these jobs......

Bottom line is the foreign worker program is designed to keep canadian workers  working for wages that pay below the cost of living.  

This just allows the 1% in Canada to  get richer and richer and has helped eliminate  both the Canadian middle class / working class. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Serious question, is is possible to live in Vancouver on only $200K Canadian?   Given what I understand the average house price to be, you must have a lot of people with $1 Million plus mortgages and even with generationally low global interest rates, that is still upwards of 40% of that $200 K and isn't the overall tax rate (Federal, Provincial, GST, Provincial Tax, House Tax, Fuel/Carbon taxes etc.) up to a total of about 50% (I understand your "Tax Free" day is about 1 July), so you are getting by for the rest on $20 K?   

Looking from the outside, I would have thought Vancouver would be tough on that level of income.

A family of two doctors was on the news the other day as not being able to afford to purchase in Vancouver.

The city is screwed.     I have no idea how the city can hire and police, fire, nursing or teachers...   My friend is a school admin and tells me pretty much all their teachers are young renters that move out to the fraser valley as soon as they want to purchase real estate.   Her school is  revolving door of teacher with openings pretty much constantly not being filled........   

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

One reason that no one will do these jobs is brutal working conditions for terrible wages with no benefits.

Improve the working conditions, wages and benefits and many canadians would do these jobs......

Bottom line is the foreign worker program is designed to keep canadian workers  working for wages that pay below the cost of living.  

This just allows the 1% in Canada to  get richer and richer and has helped eliminate  both the Canadian middle class / working class. 

how would you suggest making berry picking easier? 

the TFW program has been around for decades. Canadians don't do these jobs. So how is it that it keeps others getting low wages? you're not making sense King. 

I get this is a popular thing to bash, 1% and all that, but this is the reality of how we get a lot of our food so how much more are you willing to pay? are you going to Whole Foods everyday? Can you? 

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

A family of two doctors was on the news the other day as not being able to afford to purchase in Vancouver.

The city is screwed.     I have no idea how the city can hire and police, fire, nursing or teachers...   My friend is a school admin and tells me pretty much all their teachers are young renters that move out to the fraser valley as soon as they want to purchase real estate.   Her school is  revolving door of teacher with openings pretty much constantly not being filled........   

Did they mention why they didn’t choose the option of renting over owning?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how would you suggest making berry picking easier? 

the TFW program has been around for decades. Canadians don't do these jobs. So how is it that it keeps others getting low wages? you're not making sense King. 

I get this is a popular thing to bash, 1% and all that, but this is the reality of how we get a lot of our food so how much more are you willing to pay? are you going to Whole Foods everyday? Can you? 

I agree about some jobs. Many types of  berries are  now machine picked now, right ?

What about when Tim Hortons is hiring foreign workers in Victoria....

Sorry, but i have seen the low wages... split shifts...    sent home on slow days...  type of management at many of these businesses that then hire foreign.

Foreign workers are easier to exploit as well as they are too scared to complain.....

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

They rent because they can't afford to purchase in Vancouver......    

In their income bracket, it might be better for them to invest the difference in a well diversified portfolio in the stock market rather than tie up capital in a overvalued housing market.  Yeah the stock market is subject to the same (or more risks) but I tend to worry if the “stock experts” are too bullish.  Us plebs don’t have that option.

• Upvote 1