The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini's under fire for the mistreatment of migrant workers.

9 hours ago, 6string said:

Premier of Alberta Jason Kenney and his Neocon Conservative lapdogs were responsible for this unpopular TFW program. I recall back around 2014 it was probably the number one issue in the country as Harper's Conservatives were collapsing. 

The debate went something like this...

"Canadians losing their jobs so that TFWs can be hired, creating higher unemployment as more TFWs flood into Canada, keeping wages low in these industries, and reducing the job opportunities for summer students who need the jobs so they can afford to finish their education.

( I'm not gonna argue TFW's, I'm just saying it was very controversial then )

Sorry man, Canadian kids/students ain’t doing this job.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

The family made their money as slumlords, so this is no surprise.

No doubt, being a fan doesn't involve defending the ownership.  I hope some more controversies come and that family is forced to sell the team, they'll never win the Cup so do whats best for the fan base and the team.  I know it wont happen but a fan can dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Interesting article here. Makes me kind of sick to read and be a canucks fan after this, if this is how our billionaire owner and his family treat people. Sickening 

https://www.thestar.com/amp/vancouver/2019/05/28/at-aquilini-owned-blueberry-farm-we-lived-the-saddest-part-of-our-lives-says-one-temporary-foreign-worker-of-15-who-allege-poor-working-conditions-cramped-accommodations-intimidation-and-threats.html

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

WHY IS CANADA IMPORTING UNSKILLED FOREIGN LABOUR?  WHY??? WHY?????????????

can someone please answer that question?  besides helping the bottom line of big corporations, what benefit is there for Canada, average Canadian taxpayer, students who get pushed out of jobs, low skilled Canadians having to compete with hoards of cheap slave labour keeping their wages down? ? a lot of these people also end up on social assistance one way or another,  use the taxpayer funded health care system, and apparently some (like these people ) don't even speak English.

this disgusting habit of western governments throwing their own citizens under the bus for the bottom line of large corporations, and increasing their own constituent pool of government dependent voters is whats driving this rise in right wing politics.

people are sick and tire of this crap.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sam13371337 said:

WHY IS CANADA IMPORTING UNSKILLED FOREIGN LABOUR?  WHY??? WHY?????????????

can someone please answer that question?  besides helping the bottom line of big corporations, what benefit is there for Canada, average Canadian taxpayer, students who get pushed out of jobs, low skilled Canadians having to compete with hoards of cheap slave labour keeping their wages down? ? a lot of these people also end up on social assistance one way or another,  use the taxpayer funded health care system, and apparently some (like these people ) don't even speak English.

this disgusting habit of western governments throwing their own citizens under the bus for the bottom line of large corporations, and increasing their own constituent pool of government dependent voters is whats driving this rise in right wing politics.

people are sick and tire of this crap.  

no one gets pushed out of these jobs, no one who is raised here will do them. Migrant labour has been part of Canadian farming for decades. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no one gets pushed out of these jobs, no one who is raised here will do them for . Migrant labour has been part of Canadian farming for decades. 

its supply and demand.  businessmen should be well aware of this concept.   Nobody will do them for slave wages for the billionaire to add to his profit margins.  if you offer enough, I guarantee you there are more then enough locals to fill them. 

and its not just farms, its across many industries.  lets not kid ourselves here. 

1 minute ago, sam13371337 said:

its supply and demand.  businessmen should be well aware of this concept.   Nobody will do them for slave wages for the billionaire to add to his profit margins.  if you offer enough, I guarantee you there are more then enough locals to fill them. 

and its not just farms, its across many industries.  lets not kid ourselves here. 

so go buy a $30 bag of blueberries if thats what you want. It is what it is, if you really care this much about it vote in a party that wants to raise farming wages. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sam13371337 said:

There may be enough locals to do the job but they certainly aren't willing to do it. It's not like picking berries is some sort of career to aspire to.

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

There may be enough locals to do the job but they certainly aren't willing to do it. It's not like picking berries is some sort of career to aspire to.

thats really it, and has been since before most of us on CDC were alive. Of course if the Aquilini family is guilty of this its horrible and must be punished, but that doesn't change the reality of farming in Canada. Maybe some people didn't know where their fruit comes from? 

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Right...because no one ever had the idea to extort from rich people.

I will reserve judgement...but there are always two sides.  And if you read the whole story, some may have come here with intentions to do more than work for a few months.  I guess the truth will come out and is likely somewhere in the middle.

I disagree, IMO these people are risking A LOT to spew false allegations. Also, this is barely the first time this family has been capable of this.

Lastly, I actually worked 1 day at the Aquilini Farm when I was 14 - it was COMPLETE hell. 4pm - 6am was the shift, we only got (1) 30 minute break and I was paid $7.50/hr and it was extremely hard labour, it was the worst thing I ever had to do and I quit that same day. So, I'm going to take my Canuck blinders off for a second and side with the migrant workers here. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so go buy a $30 bag of blueberries if thats what you want. It is what it is, if you really care this much about it vote in a party that wants to raise farming wages. 

completely ludicrous... 

farming is only 1 of many industries where this goes on... 

and secondly even if one was to consider farming alone. there are many maaaany successful farms in Canada that don't use temporary foreign workers.   also nobody would buy bluerberries at that price. giving a fair wage to workers would not result in $30 dollar blueberries. and if they did for some reason, there are semi-retarded chimpanzees out there with enough intelligence to open a farm, and sell blueberries cheaper and push your dumb ass out of the market.  

Edited by sam13371337

Just now, sam13371337 said:

completely ludicrous... 

farming is only 1 of many industries where this goes on... 

and secondly even if 1 was to consider farming alone. there are many maaaany successful farms in Canada that don't use temporary foreign workers.   nobody would buy bluerberries at that price. giving a fair wage to workers would not result in $30 dollar blueberries. and if they did for some reason, there are semi-retarded chimpanzees out there with enough intelligence to open a farm, and sell blueberries cheaper and push your dumb ass out of the market.  

yeah..... anyway, the temporary foreign worker program started in 1973. So you might want to re-do the math on prices you're used to, or people on regular working wages can afford. 

21 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

I disagree, IMO these people are risking A LOT to spew false allegations. Also, this is barely the first time this family has been capable of this.

Lastly, I actually worked 1 day at the Aquilini Farm when I was 14 - it was COMPLETE hell. 4pm - 6am was the shift, we only got (1) 30 minute break and I was paid $7.50/hr and it was extremely hard labour, it was the worst thing I ever had to do and I quit that same day. So, I'm going to take my Canuck blinders off for a second and side with the migrant workers here. 

You're soft. At 14 this is the exact type of job everyone should have. Instead, we have thousands of couch potato, internet addicted teens who are softer than marshmallows who refuse to do menial tasks. So along came the TFW program to combat a lack of willing workers and crop loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sam13371337 said:

and secondly even if one was to consider farming alone. there are many maaaany successful farms in Canada that don't use temporary foreign workers.   also nobody would buy bluerberries at that price. giving a fair wage to workers would not result in $30 dollar blueberries. and if they did for some reason, there are semi-retarded chimpanzees out there with enough intelligence to open a farm, and sell blueberries cheaper and push your dumb ass out of the market.  

I lot of farms don't use temporary foreign workers because they are not needed.  Farming now is less labour intensive compared to a hundred years ago.  A lot of stuff is mechanized.  Like Dairy farms.  They use mechanized means to get milk form cows.  They don't use people to manually extract milk from cows.

Berries is one crop that must be picked manually since they have not developed machines that can remove berries without damaging it.

As for $30 blueberries,  local berry farms will go out of business, as supermarkets will simply import cheaper berries from other countries.