The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini's under fire for the mistreatment of migrant workers.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It’s very much possible to find a job without the internet but your prospects are going to be limited by that in 2019.

Honest question though: when was the last time you job hunted? I could be way off base, but from interacting with you on here over the years, I get the impression you have an established career?

There... your first paragraph says it all.  It is possible to do without, but it would be easier if you had it.  Hence, luxury. 

Those that dont have internet won't be permanently denied it, and most likely those without will turn that around soon after getting a job, so it's nowhere near the issue it is being made to be.  Most job seekers already have their own access anyhow, at home or on the phone.

Been 9 years since I was last looking for a job.  The job before that was the one I got without the internet,  but if my circumstances were the same now (new arrival to the country) it wouldn't have been any different.  I went to a placement agency, they found me work, and I grew in that environment turning a near min-wage job into something fairly impressive. 

The job I have now only requires me to have access if I telecommute.

Whoa, dude! No one asked you that.

You just prove my point. You are unintelligent, unoriginal, incorrect, and worst of all ignorant. 

Ignorant to the world around you, unwilling to hear a point of view differing from your own, and incapable of learning. 

Your juvenile attempt there, if i had done to you, would have sent you into a frenzy of spamming mods with pms trying to get me banned. 

I know what you are though, so i just pity you. 

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

There... your first paragraph says it all.  It is possible to do without, but it would be easier if you had it.  Hence, luxury. 

Those that dont have internet won't be permanently denied it, and most likely those without will turn that around soon after getting a job, so it's nowhere near the issue it is being made to be.  Most job seekers already have their own access anyhow, at home or on the phone.

Been 9 years since I was last looking for a job.  The job before that was the one I got without the internet,  but if my circumstances were the same now (new arrival to the country) it wouldn't have been any different.  I went to a placement agency, they found me work, and I grew in that environment turning a near min-wage job into something fairly impressive. 

The job I have now only requires me to have access if I telecommute.

I told you he was angry. He took that gem down right friggen quick for fear of getting pee pee slapped. 

Good thing too. For him. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

You just prove my point. You are unintelligent, unoriginal, incorrect, and worst of all ignorant. 

Ignorant to the world around you, unwilling to hear a point of view differing from your own, and incapable of learning. 

Your juvenile attempt there, if i had done to you, would have sent you into a frenzy of spamming mods with pms trying to get me banned. 

I know what you are though, so i just pity you. 

Yeah, attributing a bull$&!# quote to someone is pretty lame. Isn’t it?

I’m perfectly willing to listen and learn. You’ve simply never demonstrated that you’re worth listening to. 

Yeah, attributing a bull$&!# quote to someone is pretty lame. Isn’t it?

I’m perfectly willing to listen and learn. You’ve simply never demonstrated that you’re worth listening to. 

Good. You keep up that post. Thats real classy. 

Just proving my point. 

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Lol, I didn’t take down anything.

The difference is, i didnt need to manufacture a fake quote for you. I didnt take it out of context either. You have vehemently stated for two pages that having the internet is the same as having food shelter and water. Its right there for everyone to see. 

And seriously, you should have been less crude and more funny with your quote manufacture of mine. Ill show you how its done. 

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Friggen velcro straps...sticking to everything...god damn how do i decide where the straps go? I better check the internet. Good thing thats a necessity for life to exist .

Just now, MystifyNCrucify said:

The difference is, i didnt need to manufacture a fake quote for you. I didnt take it out of context either. You have vehemently stated for two pages that having the internet is the same as having food shelter and water. Its right there for everyone to see. 

And seriously, you should have been less crude and more funny with your quote manufacture of mine. Ill show you how its done. 

Meh 5/10. Solid, middling work.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats too simple a narrative, and pushes off your personal responsibly (I'm assuming you're not a billionaire).

All of us own a piece of Shanghai smog or India slum. Assuming you own a phone and have bought clothes. And yes it applies to your blueberry smoothie too. 

That is a complete neoliberal myth that you are talking about - that personal responsibility or lack of it is the reason or solution to some of the most major problems facing the world.  

Poverty existed in Indian well before smartphones and is well entrenched in their Caste system which is believed to be around 3000 years.  Of course this is all unrelated to the OP.

Lol, okay.

You go now. Your argument was proven to be incompetent, partially by yourself, and you have resorted to crude mocking to try to prove those incompetent arguments. 

You have lost a lot of respect today, with the people that will read the comments youve made. Not me though. 

Didnt know you. Dont know you. Didnt respect you any more than i would a stranger in the street. 

You are still a zero, in in more ways than one. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

You go now. Your argument was proven to be incompetent, partially by yourself, and you have resorted to crude mocking to try to prove those incompetent arguments. 

You have lost a lot of respect today, with the people that will read the comments youve made. Not me though. 

Didnt know you. Dont know you. Didnt respect you any more than i would a stranger in the street. 

You are still a zero, in in more ways than one. 

Nah, I was just trying to demonstrate that when you’re having a debate with someone, attributing made up quotes to them is a chicken$&!# coward’s tactic.

If I’ve lost anyone’s respect, well, my life continues as it always has.

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

That is a complete neoliberal myth that you are talking about - that personal responsibility or lack of it is the reason or solution to some of the most major problems facing the world.  

Poverty existed in Indian well before smartphones and is well entrenched in their Caste system which is believed to be around 3000 years.  Of course this is all unrelated to the OP.

'neoliberal myth" huh? tell that to the people crushed in a building collapse making Joe Fresh clothes. 

put away your 1st year arts philosophy for a minute and look around you - I guarantee you are surrounded by things made by people paid by low wages or from countries that have low standards of work safety. Yes you are responsible for what you buy. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

'neoliberal myth" huh? tell that to the people crushed in a building collapse making Joe Fresh clothes. 

put away your 1st year arts philosophy for a minute and look around you - I guarantee you are surrounded by things made by people paid by low wages or from countries that have low standards of work safety. Yes you are responsible for what you buy. 

100 %

51m9parFY5L._SX425_.jpg

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

low wages and standards of living are issues of governance or lack of it.   The farming issue addressed above was settled because of governance not because shoppers decided to stop buying blueberries, nor was it caused by people wanting to eat blueberries.  It started with a company broke employment and safety laws.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Serious question, is is possible to live in Vancouver on only $200K Canadian?   Given what I understand the average house price to be, you must have a lot of people with $1 Million plus mortgages and even with generationally low global interest rates, that is still upwards of 40% of that $200 K and isn't the overall tax rate (Federal, Provincial, GST, Provincial Tax, House Tax, Fuel/Carbon taxes etc.) up to a total of about 50% (I understand your "Tax Free" day is about 1 July), so you are getting by for the rest on $20 K?   

Looking from the outside, I would have thought Vancouver would be tough on that level of income.

Owning a house, no. I am a little under that and my wife makes six figures as well. We moved to Toronto which is also horrifically expensive but a decent chunk lower than Vancouver. We live in a very poor neighbourhood, drive a 13 year old car etc. pretty much live a lower middle class lifestyle.

Even in New York you can buy a big house with a large yard 30 minutes via train from Grand Central Station for half a million.

The company I work for has offices in Cincinnati, Toronto, and San Fran. These are the houses I would be shopping for, all within about a 20 minute drive. There is no office in Vancouver so I used Gastown as a reference. 

Cincinnati - this mansion on an acreage. 
1332248076_ScreenShot2019-05-29at10_21_42PM.png.b4392992fe1bd715fb60a564100cdfe4.png

Toronto - 2 bed 1 bath WW2 bungalow in a poor neighbourhood. 

879253352_ScreenShot2019-05-29at10_32_28PM.png.e203781a17e1ab25231226e5b10392c2.png

Vancouver - I'd have to stretch my budget but I found this gem near the Burnaby border - $100K off too! 
480915524_ScreenShot2019-05-29at10_38_01PM.png.dfa92d7975b76936e78e71b97b4db9e5.png

San Fran - Above 2000 sq ft, fully renovated on a nice sized lot. 

1241257934_ScreenShot2019-05-29at10_55_19PM.png.e99f8917b21666ffb2350d8d5ede5108.png