The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Mafia] Doughty's Check vs Patrick Kane - (Game on)

Rate this topic

AV.

16 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Everybody have a look at the roles and set-up.  Please critique.

If numbers stay as they are, I'll hand out the roles and start the game in about an hour.

Seems pretty fair. 

I'm curious about the optimal way to use the JOAT role. My initial impression is that they should only use investigations until they claim, then they save themselves. What are the limits to self-saves? 

36 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Everybody have a look at the roles and set-up.  Please critique.

If numbers stay as they are, I'll hand out the roles and start the game in about an hour.

So the TP special gets to use 1 special ability per round, or at all at once?

28 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Seems pretty fair. 

I'm curious about the optimal way to use the JOAT role. My initial impression is that they should only use investigations until they claim, then they save themselves. What are the limits to self-saves? 

25 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

I'd worry about a trigger happy player using the JOAT role to do more harm than good. Sheriff investigations have way more value than a vig kill. The doctor ability would only be appropriate after the JOAT has claimed. 

A pragmatic JOAT is the best approach for serving the town.  In fact, I'd argue the JOAT should mentally operate as a sheriff and use the killing power only if they've hit mafia and the thread is not privy to who the mafia is.  This obviously implies that the JOAT is not known to anybody and has had the fortune of surviving multiple rounds.

Self-saving is only beneficial if the JOAT is pressured to come out with their role.  However, that strategy would only work if the JOAT had not yet investigated or placed a kill on a player in that round.  In other words, it's a bad choice (or impossible choice) in a lot of scenarios.

• Cheers 1