Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Facebook’s Zuckerberg, Sandberg will not appear at Ottawa hearing despite summons


jimmyking8888

Recommended Posts

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg will not appear at a hearing in Ottawa later this week despite receiving summonses from Canadian Parliament, Facebook confirmed to Global News on Monday.   The company is sending its head of public policy for Facebook Canada, Kevin Chan, and its director of public policy, Neil Potts, in their place.   Earlier in May, MP Bob Zimmer, chair of the Ethics Committee, issued a summons to Zuckerberg and Sandberg to appear before the International Grand Committee of Parliamentarians being held in Ottawa on May 28, 2019.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This is old news.  You should be talking instead about the 2nd summons sent out to the two, which will be served to them the next time they step into the grate white north, after which if they still choose to ignore, they will be made to suffer in Canadian purgatory... which is listening to Anne Murray all day, every day.  :wub:

@oldnews created facebook? :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg will not appear at a hearing in Ottawa later this week despite receiving summonses from Canadian Parliament, Facebook confirmed to Global News on Monday.   The company is sending its head of public policy for Facebook Canada, Kevin Chan, and its director of public policy, Neil Potts, in their place.   Earlier in May, MP Bob Zimmer, chair of the Ethics Committee, issued a summons to Zuckerberg and Sandberg to appear before the International Grand Committee of Parliamentarians being held in Ottawa on May 28, 2019.

ff655c8f17488415c10f231661d05d1d.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think he testified in the US either. Have billions do what you want apparently.

I can imagine that helps. 

 

Facebook is garbage. You are the product thats bought and sold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think he testified in the US either. Have billions do what you want apparently.

He testified in front of the US Congress last year.  He alternated from lying his arse off to being smug in his answers.

 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/21/opinions/mark-zuckerberg-misled-congress-privacy-nyt-alaimo/index.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

For some reason, I kind of envision @oldnews as more of a creator of Pinterest than Facebook.  :gocan:

thanks - I think - at least it's better than Facebook - I have never and never would Facebook and although I'd heard of Pinterest, I had to google to confirm...

 

To be honest, I'm probably closer to the creator of Etch-a-Sketch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Why would two giants of the tech industry (or any other industry where they are not based in the country) bother with a summons from Canada... Lucky to even get low-mid lvl managements attention. 

Millions of reasons err dollars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Millions of reasons err dollars.

I guess it would really depend on how many users they have in Canada and the revenue it generates.. If they feel its not worth the trouble and they can afford to lose them (for example if the govt were to shut them down - which they wont) then they dont show. My guess is that they arent too concerned with it as they have offered Canadian reps (far far below Facebook's executive level) to testify in their place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I guess it would really depend on how many users they have in Canada and the revenue it generates.. If they feel its not worth the trouble and they can afford to lose them (for example if the govt were to shut them down - which they wont) then they dont show. My guess is that they arent too concerned with it as they have offered Canadian reps (far far below Facebook's executive level) to testify in their place. 

I wish Canada would actually cut them off. Too many years of being a nice, polite country and some folk will start taking advantage.

Time to show a little fortitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wish Canada would actually cut them off. Too many years of being a nice, polite country and some folk will start taking advantage.

Time to show a little fortitude.

While I dont know if im at the point of saying cut off facebook (i havent used it in what is close to 10 years now), i totally agree with the bolded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...