The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Market Is No Art Auction

Rate this topic

Overview on the league, parity & the effect on trade-returns. It's a bit of a yard sale at the moment..haul out the outdated crap, & try to scrounge a few bucks. If nothing else, you clean up some tidy space.

Doesn't seem a time to sell elite, handcrafted product. ROR to StLoo is about the only big deal that has paid off recently(going by memory). That would be for the GM receiving the most valued piece. Often hear posters clamour one shouldn't take quarters/dimes for a shiny buck. So I'm wondering if this still holds up?

A number of deals within the past coupla' yrs appear to have favoured the GM getting odds & ends. Counterpart is left holding an aging star(sometimes needing a big contract) with aches & pains catching up.

- 2 Duchene deals

- Pacc deal

- EK deal

Another variable to perhaps factor in, is ELC youth moving into the big bucks more quickly. GM's are apparently allotting more cap % to the under-25 part of their roster. Guess this reality has fitered into the cap-angle more quickly than it has into (relative) trade-valuations.

Something to blab about? Newsworthy? I don't know..but I'll throw it out there anyways...

edit: That Tatar deal in 2018(Vegans/Wings) looks pretty ugly too.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

& trying to think of recent deals where one pricey item is sold for a collection, is actually not easy. My memory getting poor, or are GM's reluctant now to pay quantity for one piece?

Makes the TDL splurge by the CBJ GM even more surprising/noticeable. It WAS ballsy, but really hard to justify these deals nowadays.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Just reinforces the model of building through the draft.

Stay the course JB,  we're almost there.

This comment above...

Stay the course buiding through the draft.

Why I mostly reject proposals.

Edited by 6string
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

All I want to add to the discussion here is that Canucks are full of tweeners who are barely good enough for the NHL.  We could field 5 and a half forward lines and 5 d-pairings with those guys.  

I would make deals where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire a solid NHL veteran.  Taking on guys like Cody Eakin, Zack Smith or Ryan Callahan would improve our team as compared to some of the forwards that we inserted into our lineup last year.  We won't have to part with any picks to get this accomplished, and might even get one in return.  

Our time to win is in 3-5 years, and we need to take the first step: making the playoffs.  This step should be taken this year.  We can't keep on kicking the ball down the road and forever saying "let's build through the draft"... that was the right approach up until now.  2019 should be the last time that we pick in the top 10 for a while. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

All I want to add to the discussion here is that Canucks are full of tweeners who are barely good enough for the NHL.  We could field 5 and a half forward lines and 5 d-pairings with those guys.  

I would make deals where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire a solid NHL veteran.  Taking on guys like Cody Eakin, Zack Smith or Ryan Callahan would improve our team as compared to some of the forwards that we inserted into our lineup last year.  We won't have to part with any picks to get this accomplished, and might even get one in return.  

Our time to win is in 3-5 years, and we need to take the first step: making the playoffs.  This step should be taken this year.  We can't keep on kicking the ball down the road and forever saying "let's build through the draft"... that was the right approach up until now.  2019 should be the last time that we pick in the top 10 for a while. 

Pretty much agree, provided most assets didn't originally cost much(eg, FA signings & later picks). StLoo & Broons showing teams should be built through a variety of methods(nice combo, seems best).

On 5/29/2019 at 7:21 PM, Fanuck said:

Just reinforces the model of building through the draft.

Stay the course JB,  we're almost there.

No Cup winning team has been purely built through the draft. You have to make trades and sign FA's to win.

Look at any contender in the last decade. At least one or two core pieces of their team came from trades or a FA signings.

Not drafted for Boston: Chara, Thomas, Wheeler, Rask

Not drafted to Chicago: Sharp, Hossa

Not drafted to LA: Carter, Richards, Williams

Not drafted to Pitt: Kessel, Hornqvist

I'd say the only exception to the rule would be Washington who were mainly built through the draft with the exception of Oshie. But they were also in the basement for a decade.

Some of these guys were picked up before a run, some of them were picked up years before, but to say "Just build through the draft" and ignore trades and Free Agents is foolish. If you can sign a guy like Panarin now, sign him. If you can trade for a young top pairing RHD like Trouba now, then trade for him. You'll need to do something like that at some point if you want to be a contender.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mephnick said:

No Cup winning team has been purely built through the draft. You have to make trades and sign FA's to win.

Look at any contender in the last decade. At least one or two core pieces of their team came from trades or a FA signings.

Not drafted for Boston: Chara, Thomas, Wheeler, Rask

Not drafted to Chicago: Sharp, Hossa

Not drafted to LA: Carter, Richards, Williams

Not drafted to Pitt: Kessel, Hornqvist

I'd say the only exception to the rule would be Washington who were mainly built through the draft with the exception of Oshie. But they were also in the basement for a decade.

Some of these guys were picked up before a run, some of them were picked up years before, but to say "Just build through the draft" and ignore trades and Free Agents is foolish. If you can sign a guy like Panarin now, sign him. If you can trade for a young top pairing RHD like Trouba now, then trade for him. You'll need to do something like that at some point if you want to be a contender.

Of course every championship team acquires pieces in a variety of ways.   I've never said otherwise. 

Now,  imo,  is not the time to invest in the high end UFA/trade market. 

Now is the time to lay the foundation for the next decade +.  

Stay the course for now,  build through the draft. 

There will be a time to explore high end ufa/trade options,  just not yet.

• Upvote 1

ATM, there are too many sellers. Are there enough landing-spots? Are teams with cap room(like OTT) even interested in stars, for pennies on the dollar?

I bet teams nearer the floor, intend to stay there.

Lucic

Eriksson

Marleau

Zaitsev

Alzner

Callahan

& certainly others...

LTIR-rabble, like Kes, Horton, Clarkson, Hossa, et al...

Then there is an enviable cast of RFA talent to be signed, with rival GM's probably reluctant to kick off that party.

Is cap space becoming the invisible superstar, that every org would like to have?(eg: a spare 10 mill on the books, preferred to a 10 mill star vet)?

From the POV of ownerships, the well-heeled(& informed) prob foresee a (potentially) soon tanking general economy. I bet more than a few owners want to extricate themselves from LT cap-commitments. To the degree that they release tawdry, cheap slags on their stars, through the media(as in Dallas).

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************::

So what does it all mean for us 'Nuck-backers? For one thing, I'd say a significant turnaround can occur rather quickly.

How the owner views all this is the important question.

• 3 weeks later...