The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Best fighter and favourite single fight as a canuck

Krumpalicious

I’ll keep it short and sweet. Let’s discuss your favourite Canucks heavy weights of all time. Or even if they didn’t fight that often but still could throw them, let’s hear some guys fights that stand out in your mind. 

For myself my favourite tough guy of all time was Donald Brashear. 

And my favourite fight (and I know it was a couple fights) but the jovo and deadmarsh feud. (Yes I understand the outcome of the final fight. But it still was very memorable. 

Thoughts? 

When Gino beat up the entire blues team... naked 

Amd when Rypier beat vlabik so bad the penaltt box door opened.  At the start of thr fight vlabik was looking down at rypier probably thinking im going to eat you. He was looking up at him by the end of the scrap.

Best fight is regarded as possibly the best fight ever ... Coxe vs Probert....

Actually both fights were awesome, highest ranked ever in hockeyfights.com a perfect 10.  Both guys landed huge shots and it went on and on.  Best fighter had to be Brashear and it’s not even really close.   He fought more than anyone else the year he broke out, and was the heavyweight champ for a while until Laraque took it over.  Gino was good too, but overall a top 10-15 fighter during his hey-day.

edit:  Hounourable mentions to Fraser,  Delmore, McCallister (watched him lay a beating on up and comer Scott Parker live, was a fantastic) and of course Rypien, Williams, Mclhargey, Snepsts and Mike Keane one of the fiercest middle weights ever...oh yeah and forgot Walker, the Tootoo of his time...

Gino was awesome, but was more brute force.

Best “fighter” I’ve seen in a Canucks jersey is Rypien (RIP). Was a boxer and exposed a lot of bigger players inability to actually fight when faced with someone who knew how and when to hit and when to defend.

Second place would go to Curt Fraser, in my opinion. One of the hardest puncher in the league in his time.

I’d place Gino about 3rd.

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Gino was awesome, but was more brute force.

Best “fighter” I’ve seen in a Canucks jersey is Rypien (RIP). Was a boxer and exposed a lot of bigger players inability to actually fight when faced with someone who knew how and when to hit and when to defend.

Second place would go to Curt Fraser, in my opinion. One of the hardest puncher in the league in his time.

I’d place Gino about 3rd.

Rypien was a special fighter no doubt, with a decent 19-7-2 record...but he’s not the only Canuck to take boxing lessons and ranked around 8 all-time.  By comparison Brashear was 6’2 237 lbs and fought 83 times and won almost every single time, including all the best at the time and that’s the era where they all got bigger and stronger and trained (boxing, jujitsu etc).  He would have fought more but the biggest meanest of them tended to stay away, the others just got demolished.   He rarely lost his entire career and was the king of the ring his four years here (his first year he broke out and led league in fights around 30 I believe, more than Rypiens entire fight card) and for a long time after, six fights and wins or draws against Probert, drove McSorerly mad as he just couldn’t beat him no matter what he tried (ok well eventually it cost him his career) Parker, Boogard, Sandman, Worrel, Twist, Grimson, Ewen, and on and on, the golden era of enforcers and for quite a while he was the best of the best.

Keane was a lot like Rypien early on, he absolutely demolished the semi-pro and decimated the junior ranks and continued his reign of terror once he made the show.  Arguably one of the best middle weights ever.  Beiksa was also pretty good, he was a little bigger maybe half an inch and five pounds...Tootoo and Walker were also pretty darn good...Asham also destroyed guys no matter the size most time, just ask Beagle.   

Edit:  that said I loved Rypien and always wondered when a big guy was going to hand him his lunch.  Enforcers were not as good then, Zortini was a terrible fighter...Carkner was not though and him staying in against one of the top fighters at the time was an impressive showing.  Hal Gil must have nightmares still about losing to him.  Remember the announcers saying “give the guy a ladder” during that fight or something like that and Rypien just speedbagged him punching almost straight up.  Domi also had to do that on a regular basis as he was only 5’ 10”....Stan Jonathon also comes to mind as a terrific middle weight that layed some huge beating on bigger guys all the time (was it Boucher that he left bleeding and battered all over the ice one time?).

One thing is for sure, if you google top twenty fighters (Canucks) all-time it’s a very impressive list...we definitely weren’t always this soft.  The 70’s to the early 2000s we almost always had toughness, sometimes even one of toughest in the league..

Still remember when Brashear fought Peter Worrell from Florida and Jim Robson says "Two of the premiere black fighters in the NHL".

Obviously a lot of love for Brash, Gino, Fraser and Ripper but I'd like to give a shout out to some lightweights who could throw 'em: Scott Walker and Dave Scatchard(sp?).  

Funny thing about Brashear - his kid went to the same school as my niece and my cousin said he was the nicest/quietest/mildest mannered man off the ice.

Love him.

Also, Ryp, Gino, Juice, Tiger.  I mean, you have to love that Gino would take on a a whole damn team.

I agree about Scottie Walker.  Jovo had a real feisty side too.

This isn't a Canuck fight per se, but it does feature two Canucks (with a mention of a third) when they played on opposing teams in New York...

The other amazing part is it's from 21 years ago and Chara is still playing.

I Still love the Wade Brookbank vs. Krzysztof Oliwa.

The build-up of a 'new' heavyweight, the broadcast call, the center-ice square-off.

Only because these were some of the most fun times to watch the Canucks, I remember being so excited for this big tilt and watching a Canucks heavyweight drop a Flames heavyweight was purely delightful.

Archived