The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kessel only wants to go to Arizona

HKSR

So in other words... Kessel will be a Penguin for awhile lol

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-off-season-watch-could-marner-point-and-karlsson-end-the-offer-sheet-drought-1.1313939

Just the One?

Phil Kessel has already turned down a potential trade from the Pittsburgh Penguins this off-season and NBC Sports' Jeremy Roenick believes he could reject more in the future.

Roenick told WGR 550 in Buffalo on Wednesday that Kessel, who has an eight-team approved trade list in his contract, has only one destination he wants to move for.

"I know where he wants to go and we’ll see if he gets that option,” Roenick said. “He does want to go west. There is one team that he does want to go play for, and I don’t think he’ll stand for anything less. He’ll stay in Pittsburgh and his contract now and be happy with it or not be happy with it or they’ll trade him to the team that he wants to go to.”

Jonathan Bombulie of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review believes "it's pretty clear" Roenick was referring to the Arizona Coyotes. The Coyotes have been linked to Kessel previously due to his close relationship with head coach Rick Tocchet, who was previously an assistant in Pittsburgh.

Josh Yohe of The Athletic reported while Kessel was weighing a trade to the Minnesota Wild that the Coyotes are believed to be interested in the 31-year-old winger, but their current ownership situation was holding them from making an offer.

11 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

Wouldn’t go to Minnesota because they’re not contenders, but he’ll go to Arizona...

I mean ARZ certainly has some solid pieces but I've lost any 'hope' that they're going to actually put it together and become anything resembling a contender any time soon.

3 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

Just send the baby to the AHL and let him enjoy his time there. When players are demanding where they only want to play, its time for teams to take a stand.

Why let a binding legal contract get in the way? :picard:

11 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

Just send the baby to the AHL and let him enjoy his time there. When players are demanding where they only want to play, its time for teams to take a stand.

How dare he utilize the contract that the Penguins agreed to. How dare he. 

Spoiler

:P 

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm curious as to how you send a player with a NMC down to the minors, to begin with.

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Do they have really tasty hot dogs in Arizona?

I was just going to post Arizona as a really under-rated food scene. Good for Phil, go where you want buddy. 

32 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If he has an 8-team trade list, then provided a deal can be found with one of them, he won't have much say in the matter.

True. 

The more I think about this guy the more I dislike him. You don’t want to come to the West? Fine, no one in the West is losing sleep over you. 

12 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Hide contents

He signed it with Toronto.

But Penguins might have agreed to let him keep the clauses, since he was waiving them.

27 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If he has an 8-team trade list, then provided a deal can be found with one of them, he won't have much say in the matter.

Players aren't stupid. I guarantee you one of those 8 teams is the Flyers because he knows the Pens won't trade him there. Those teams are strategically picked to leave the only realistic trading partner the team he wants to go to, Arizona.

Just now, Xbox said:

Players aren't stupid. I guarantee you one of those 8 teams is the Flyers because he knows the Pens won't trade him there. Those teams are strategically picked to leave the only realistic trading partner the team he wants to go to, Arizona.

Possibly. Could include Tampa, cuz they don't have room for him. And LA + Detroit, since they won't be looking to add an older vet.

Archived