The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs shopping Nikita Zaitsev

I am fine if this is our plan D, failing some other moves.  Zaitsev is an NHL caliber D... just a little overpaid.

Assuming Tanev injuries (and that Tanev isn’t going the other way)... Zaitsev is our 3rd pairing RD who is perfectly capable of moving up in the lineup for the 30 games or so that Tanev is out.

Ae would pay WAY more in term and dollars for a UFA like Myers, and a UFA is going to be just as overpaid for their value than Zaitsev.

Edited by Provost

9 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:
He may not be a the top of Benning’s priority list, but Zaitsev is on it

TSN: Darren Dreger said the Toronto Maple Leafs are still looking at the option of trading defenseman Nikita Zaitsev, and some teams have done some tire-kicking.

“There’s been some interest from the Vancouver Canucks, but general manager Jim Benning has a priority list. He has a lot of work to do and he wants to get it done between now and the draft. Nikita Zaitsev is on his interests list, but he might be option three or four.”

Dreger is such a sad and predictable troll.

If Zaitsev is an option - it's not because he's 3 or 4 on the list of 'priorities' - it's because the compensation that comes with him is worthwhile.

The talk of a deal in which Tanev/Zaitsev are the principals - is laughable - as if Zaitsev doesn't represent negative market value.  The media arm of the Leafs is trying too hard, as usual - and I think they're doing what they always do - raising expectations in that market to unrealistic levels.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Dreger is such a sad and predictable troll.

If Zaitsev is an option - it's not because he's 3 or 4 on the list of 'priorities' - it's because the compensation that comes with him is worthwhile.

The talk of a deal in which Tanev/Zaitsev are the principals - is laughable - as if Zaitsev doesn't represent negative market value.  The media arm of the Leafs is trying too hard, as usual - and I think they're doing what they always do - raising expectations in that market to unrealistic levels.

I just read on TSN.ca NHL Dreger saying the Oilers and the Canucks are both interested in Zaitsev.  Does this guy have no journalistic integrity at all?  Are all these Toronto based hockey (so called) reporters so hard up they sell their last bit of self respect to do the bidding of the Leaf’s propaganda machine?  

Dreger wrote that GM Jim Benning says he wants to add a top four D man this summer.  And from that JB has interest in Zaitsev!  What the heck?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I just read on TSN.ca NHL Dreger saying the Oilers and the Canucks are both interested in Zaitsev.  Does this guy have no journalistic integrity at all?  Are all these Toronto based hockey (so called) reporters so hard up they sell their last bit of self respect to do the bidding of the Leaf’s propaganda machine?  

Dreger wrote that GM Jim Benning says he wants to add a top four D man this summer.  And from that JB has interest in Zaitsev!  What the heck?  

Dreger was and still is merely a Leaf-blower with a troll's disposition towards this team/the Aquilinis.

• Upvote 2

I don't get this Zaitsev rumors from TSN. I thought he would be like a salary dump so that they can sign Marner. We should get an asset back in return for taking him. Or am I mistaken and that Zaitsev is actually desirable so we need to give up an asset to acquire him? Don't watch enough TML games to know.