The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs shopping Nikita Zaitsev

Just now, 18W-40C-6W said:

Sure, but saying things that are obviously wrong to anyone who's passed grade 8 level math, makes you look like an idiot

Remember his message is mostly for Leaf Fans and most of them refer to Grade 5 as "my senior year".

• Haha 4

Trying to clear cap space. I hope they don`t get any takers. Unless, like some have suggested, the Canucks take advantage of them, by getting another player(s)/prospect(s) back in the deal. Zaitsev hasn`t produced much over the last 2 seasons (even though his +/- has been okay), but he is a RD with decent size. I think he`s still got 5 years left on his contract, but his salary is about the same as Tanev`s, and Zaitsev is 2 years younger. It could save Benning having to sign an expensive UFA Dman this off season (other than Edler).  

to TOR - Tanev and Sutter - roughly $8.8

to VAN - Zaitsev and Nylander (that`ll clear some cap space lol) - roughly $11.5

_____ - Pettersson - Nylander

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Zaitsev

Hutton - Schenn

Juolevi - Biega

Tryamkin?

• Upvote 2

Opening line from Dumbass:

If you like Derrick Pouliot, boy have I got a deal for you.  Nikita Zaitsev.  BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

And he PM's you a picture taken with a bubble lense from below, and then links you to Nikita Tryamkin's profile five times before replying.  OMG MY BAD!

• Haha 1

So, a right handed, more expensive version of Ben Hutton who signed long term.

Not physical, not putting up points, effective in any particular area of the game.  What he has going for him is that he is just “meh” and not terrible.  Someone will probably bite to get a small sweetener like a 3rd round pick or decent prospect.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

No......let them lose Marner lol

actually

offer sheet marner

then do a trade with laffs

to extract a ransom

so they can match the offer sheet

and keep marner

gotta get some leverage on them first

then there is a meaningful extortion deal to be done :P

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trying to clear cap space. I hope they don`t get any takers. Unless, like some have suggested, the Canucks take advantage of them, by getting another player(s)/prospect(s) back in the deal. Zaitsev hasn`t produced much over the last 2 seasons (even though his +/- has been okay), but he is a RD with decent size. I think he`s still got 5 years left on his contract, but his salary is about the same as Tanev`s, and Zaitsev is 2 years younger. It could save Benning having to sign an expensive UFA Dman this off season (other than Edler).  

to VAN - Zaitsev and Nylander (that`ll clear some cap space lol) - roughly $11.5

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Zaitsev

Hutton - Schenn

Juolevi - Biega

Tryamkin?

Maybe this is a deal where Benning goes to Dubas and says "you are going to get one of your prospects offer sheeted, so why not us take Zaitsev and his cap hit off your hands and you trade us Kapanen for a reduced cost? They have 3 potential RFAs that can get an offer sheet, and this may be the right opportunity for us to get one of them for less than what it would take via the offer sheet route?

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

actually

offer sheet marner

then do a trade with laffs

to extract a ransom

so they can match the offer sheet

and keep marner

gotta get some leverage on them first

then there is a meaningful extortion deal to be done :P

There are 29 other teams that the leafs would rather deal with instead of the team that signed one of their players to an offer sheet. That is the opposite of leverage.

• Upvote 1

TSN is now reporting that Zaitsev has requested the trade. Just a prelude to the Leafs declaring that both parties agree to a mutual termination of contract so Zaitsev can return to the KHL (and a huge payment form the Leafs for helping them with their cap hell).

QE6EI2tM_normal.jpg

It was Nikita Zaitsev who, for personal reasons, asked TOR today to try to facilitate a trade. He has five years remaining on a contract with an AAV of $4.5M. TOR will try to oblige Zaitsev but are not in a salary cap position to retain much, if any, salary.

Since the league was made aware this morning of Zaitsev’s availability, there have been multiple inquiries but it remains to be seen how many teams expect TOR to retain salary or make a soft/limited return deal because of the term/$ owed him.

• Cheers 1

Not really interested, UNLESS, Benning is able to weaponize some of the cap space the Canucks have, and pick up one of Toronto's good, young wingers. 

Especially if Toronto agrees to take Eriksson, and either bury him, or buy him out.

A guy can dream ;P

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Zaitsev

Hutton - Schenn

Juolevi - Biega

Tryamkin?

Toronto Don't need Sutter and they are deep at centre..Teams will give up a decent prospect for Nylander who will be a 24-30 goal guy..

Sorry will not get Nylander and Zaitsev for Sutter and hurt Tanev...  ...Other teams will offer better package for sure...

• Wat 1

They would have to retain for me to even consider it. Guy is pretty much a liability defensively and average at best offensively. Surprisingly blocks a lot of shots and has a decent hit total but watching him play is rough. I mean, maybe he can fit better here. Playing with Gardiner likely wasn't good for him. But I doubt it. 4.5mil for what, 4-5 years? Easy no unless they take Eriksson back. Zaitsev, Marleau and Kapanen for Eriksson and Tanev maybe. LOL