The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs shopping Nikita Zaitsev

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I want Rasmus Sandin back in the deal but I get your point. There's no reason at all for us to take on this contract so might as well ask big. 

My personal feelings on the matter, is we're going to need another RHD. And although Zaitsev is paid far too much for too long, he's still a serviceable NHL D-man, who is in his prime age (27). He should continue to be at least useful until his contract runs out in 2024, when he's 32.

I've gone on record as being in favour of signing Karlsson, or trading for Subban. But short of something like that, If we can gain a solid asset, while at the same time fill a hole, that would be better than any of the following:

1) Signing 29 year-old Tyler Myers to a long-term, $6M+ contract

2) Signing 32 year-old (33 in August) Anton Stralman for longer than 2-3 years

3) Signing any of the remaining UFA RHDs (McQuaid, Lovejoy, Petrovic, Polak...all of which are inferior to Zaitsev) for anything more than a short-term bargain deal

15 minutes ago, D-Money said:

My personal feelings on the matter, is we're going to need another RHD. And although Zaitsev is paid far too much for too long, he's still a serviceable NHL D-man, who is in his prime age (27). He should continue to be at least useful until his contract runs out in 2024, when he's 32.

I've gone on record as being in favour of signing Karlsson, or trading for Subban. But short of something like that, If we can gain a solid asset, while at the same time fill a hole, that would be better than any of the following:

1) Signing 29 year-old Tyler Myers to a long-term, $6M+ contract

3) Signing any of the remaining UFA RHDs (McQuaid, Lovejoy, Petrovic, Polak...all of which are inferior to Zaitsev) for anything more than a short-term bargain deal

I do like the idea of going big for sure. 

The problem is tho Dubie will be looking to move NZ before the draft and free agency so a Zaitsav deal would likely prevent a major d signing. Another reason to expect a big return in prospect talent even with Zatisav being an OK player. 

Its certainly possible that TO didn't use him to his full potential and also paid too much for him. I'm not sure how much confidence I have in Baumgartner to pull more out of Zaitsav either so we'd have to be OK with what he is so far. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I do like the idea of going big for sure. 

The problem is tho Dubie will be looking to move NZ before the draft and free agency so a Zaitsav deal would likely prevent a major d signing. Another reason to expect a big return in prospect talent even with Zatisav being an OK player. 

Its certainly possible that TO didn't use him to his full potential and also paid too much for him. I'm not sure how much confidence I have in Baumgartner to pull more out of Zaitsav either so we'd have to be OK with what he is so far. 

Oh, definitely.

Not only for Toronto's cap, but also Zaitsev's 10-team no-trade list kicks in on July 1st.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Oh, definitely.

Not only for Toronto's cap, but also Zaitsev's 10-team no-trade list kicks in on July 1st.

He's the one that asked for a trade so he'll likely waive.  Leafs would prefer to keep him as they are thin on D.   Babcock played him over 20 minutes a night. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

He's the one that asked for a trade so he'll likely waive.  Leafs would prefer to keep him as they are thin on D.   Babcock played him over 20 minutes a night. 

Yeah, I'm thinking that Toronto will probably be looking for a D back somehow. They're going to be thinner than ever, with Gardiner likely gone, and even Dermott will miss the beginning of the season.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I'd imagine both/either of these are quite manageable and hence not terribly reasonable 'fears' but agree with you're overall premise that Zaitsev + assets would be far preferable to Myers at something like $7X7.

Still think that Tanev at 50% + Eriksson is the only way I'd do it though.

25 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, I'm thinking that Toronto will probably be looking for a D back somehow. They're going to be thinner than ever, with Gardiner likely gone, and even Dermott will miss the beginning of the season.

This. What's left for right side D if they unload Zaitsez? Nothing but prospects! They could try for Trouba and PK but what are they going to cost to acquire let alone fit under the cap. Tanev is a heck of an option for them. Canucks have the hammer and I would say Tanev for Zaitsev and Kapanen. Take it or leave it and I dare TO to find a better option. They wont. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Like you proposals, I don't think you have any idea what's happening here.

buddy used a certain word to make me think he's been banned, maybe more than once. Well on his way again I see. 

• Haha 4

Tanev(50 percent retained), Sutter(50 percent retained) and a second for Zaitsev, Sandin and a third 2020.

toronto then trades Kadri  for prospect/picks.  They will need entry level contracts moving forward.  They won’t be able to rely on FA’s for while, until the cap goes up significantly.  Also, this gives them roughly 4 million more in cap space for Marner.

Toronto probably doesn’t do this though haha

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well you'd have to think Tanev 50% retained for NZ + futures could be a real possibility then. 

No brainer for both clubs if you ask me. I been touting it all day. Now, the futures? I say Kapanen or bust. Some say Sandin which could work if JB thinks highly of him. Johnson or Liljigren, Conner Brown not enough in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, rekker said:

No brainer for both clubs if you ask me. I been touting it all day. Now, the futures? I say Kapanen or bust. Some say Sandin which could work if JB thinks highly of him. Johnson or Liljigren, Conner Brown not enough in my opinion. 

yup fully agree on that. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/30/2019 at 8:14 PM, Whorvat said:

Oh look, Toronto using the media to market their players again

Had this been Vancouver looking to offload this player/contract you can be sure the headline would read something along the lines of;

'How much is Vancouver willing to pay to rid themselves of Zaitsev?'

Also using the media to make Dubas look like such an amazing guy. He isn't trading Zaitsev because he's a horrendous defender but because Dubas is a great guy and when he was told Zaitsev wanted out for personal reasons he just had to step up to make it happen. Nothing to do with on ice performance or salary cap issues. Wow, that Dubas is such a great guy. Maybe we can give him our first round pick for Zaitsev?.....no?

Also be interesting to see what happens in a few years if Nylander isn't doing so great because didn't Dubas say he'd never be moved while he was GM of the leafs? Such a nice guy....oh wait Nylander didn't get a NTC/NMC? Well, let's see how that plays out. But boy, that Dubas is so nice.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, wren223 said:

Also using the media to make Dubas look like such an amazing guy. He isn't trading Zaitsev because he's a horrendous defender but because Dubas is a great guy and when he was told Zaitsev wanted out for personal reasons he just had to step up to make it happen. Nothing to do with on ice performance or salary cap issues. Wow, that Dubas is such a great guy. Maybe we can give him our first round pick for Zaitsev?.....no?

Also be interesting to see what happens in a few years if Nylander isn't doing so great because didn't Dubas say he'd never be moved while he was GM of the leafs? Such a nice guy....oh wait Nylander didn't get a NTC/NMC? Well, let's see how that plays out. But boy, that Dubas is so nice.

Also. TSN doesnt even speculate as to why Zaitsev wants out. No reporter wants to touch the story and anger the Leafs. Let me take a guess why the guy wants out. It's the coach. Players dont like playing for Babcock. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1