The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Boeser not close to extension

Rate this topic

Patrick Jane

I'm all for paying a player what he is worth...as a result, at this time, a bridge deal would make sense. We somewhat know what Brock is, but a 3 year deal would allow us to know what he really is....if he is really good, then he gets paid (when he is in his prime). $6.5M for 3 years with bonuses sprinkled in seems reasonable at this time.

...not that $6.5M per is not getting paid...lol

Edited by Pete M

I wonder if Canadian markets tend to inflate the value of their players through constantly overvaluing them in the media. If you look at Toronto and Matthews and Nylander, how much of the price they paid is related to hysteria in the fan base? To what extent are agents able to exploit public consensus on a teams "need" for a particular player?

Consider this article from yahoo.

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/nhl-rumors-2019-aho-werenski-225024470.html

I know it is hardly a reputable source, and we still haven't seen where these players actually end up in terms of contract and term, but if you consider how critical Aho and Werenski are to their respective teams and what they have accomplished and what is being suggested as likely contract values for them it's really hard to justify a long term $8M price tag on Boeser. A budding franchise center and a 40-point plus top-pairing puck-mover are both more valuable than a sub-60 point winger who has yet to make it 82 games in a season. Am I missing something here? If we were offered Aho or Werenski straight-up for Boeser, I think most GMs make that trade without thinking twice.

On that basis I would say Boeser isn't worth more than $6.5M on a long term contract, and less if he wants a bridge deal. I think anything beyond that is Toronto-style market inflation. Which is not to say Boeser won't get an inflated contract - teams like the Rangers, the Sabers, etc will overspend to get what they want. . . which is apparently to wallow in mediocrity.

• Upvote 2

On 6/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, SealTheDeal said:

I wonder if Canadian markets tend to inflate the value of their players through constantly overvaluing them in the media. If you look at Toronto and Matthews and Nylander, how much of the price they paid is related to hysteria in the fan base? To what extent are agents able to exploit public consensus on a teams "need" for a particular player?

Consider this article from yahoo.

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/nhl-rumors-2019-aho-werenski-225024470.html

I know it is hardly a reputable source, and we still haven't seen where these players actually end up in terms of contract and term, but if you consider how critical Aho and Werenski are to their respective teams and what they have accomplished and what is being suggested as likely contract values for them it's really hard to justify a long term $8M price tag on Boeser. A budding franchise center and a 40-point plus top-pairing puck-mover are both more valuable than a sub-60 point winger who has yet to make it 82 games in a season. Am I missing something here? If we were offered Aho or Werenski straight-up for Boeser, I think most GMs make that trade without thinking twice.

On that basis I would say Boeser isn't worth more than $6.5M on a long term contract, and less if he wants a bridge deal. I think anything beyond that is Toronto-style market inflation. Which is not to say Boeser won't get an inflated contract - teams like the Rangers, the Sabers, etc will overspend to get what they want. . . which is apparently to wallow in mediocrity.

I completely agree. His first year he was a 7 million dollar player, but his second year he was closer to 5. Too reliant on Petey for most of the year. Away from him he couldn't produce points. Though he ended the year strong, playing like he did in the first year (actually moving his skates). He has a tendency to get lazy. Hate him when he's lazy, absolutely love the kid when he moves his skates.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:06 AM, The Vancouver Connection said:

Honestly, I would trade Brock, I know i'm going to get some flack for this, but he's overrated. Great goal scorer and finds himself in good spots, but defensively not present, not very fast, doesn't have amazing vision. Great shot though, but that's not worth 8 million/year - trade him as his value is high. 

Bold post..would Zucker, Minny 2019 1st & 2020 2nd fit the bill? I'd prob go for it.

55 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Bold post..would Zucker, Minny 2019 1st & 2020 2nd fit the bill? I'd prob go for it.

No thanks. They are not getting rid of Ep's trigger man , Brock is only going to improve with a full offseason to train. CDC is something else during summer time. 

• Upvote 1

if Boeser turns down 8yr x 7.25m I dont know how committed he is to Vancouver. That is more than slight Willy N got with a longer term deal. Boeser has had some injuries to start his career. A long term deal like I mentioned sets him up for like and still allows him to get another good contract when he is 30ish.

But if he wants to bet on himself he might want a 2-3year bridge deal in the 5m range? But I would not be interested in that in any way if I was GM JB. We need to lock up guys for the lowest cap hit possible as we will need to give EP $ and possibly a goalie in a year or 2 then Hughes not to mention a higher end FA.

6-8 year deal is what the Canucks should be looking to lock Brock up too!

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2019 at 2:44 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

No. I am all for trading Boeser to a contender/pretender but we should get something back that will most likely be an upgrade in the future. Zucker isn’t, 2019 1st too low to be possibly, they could get the presidents trophy in 2020 for all we know.

I’d rather roll the dice on getting someone that might be better.

Something more along the lines of Boeser for Ranger’s 2nd, Chicago’s 3rd, or Colorado’s 4th, or LA’s 5th. Add and subtract if necessary. La would probably have to add and we would probably have to add for the rangers unless ny is guaranteed thinking they contend next year and the retool is already done, then just Boeser might be enough. 

Or Boeser for Chabot. 

Boeser for an equivalent centre or D basically. If for another winger they need to be a lot younger, or kakko potential (aka possible rantanen).

Edited by Tomatoes11

On 6/13/2019 at 3:41 PM, Silky mitts said:

No thanks. They are not getting rid of Ep's trigger man , Brock is only going to improve with a full offseason to train. CDC is something else during summer time. 

I love Boeser but if we can not spend 7-8 million and get the centre or D version of him or better in a few years I would gamble. Matt moulson and some other islander hack I forget potted 40 before. Even echl burrows potted 40. We can find ep another trigger man by the time we are contenders. I am sure of that especially considering how good ep and Hughes look.

If we can improve or upgrade the team in anyway by trading away the least important position in our top 6. We should look at it.

One of the best wingers in Stone wasn’t drafted that high either and we got brock at 23. Don’t worry, we can replace him eventually.  Maybe as soon as our 12th -15th pick next season in the 2020 draft. 

On 6/15/2019 at 9:41 AM, Canuckster86 said:

if Boeser turns down 8yr x 7.25m I dont know how committed he is to Vancouver. That is more than slight Willy N got with a longer term deal. Boeser has had some injuries to start his career. A long term deal like I mentioned sets him up for like and still allows him to get another good contract when he is 30ish.

But if he wants to bet on himself he might want a 2-3year bridge deal in the 5m range? But I would not be interested in that in any way if I was GM JB. We need to lock up guys for the lowest cap hit possible as we will need to give EP $ and possibly a goalie in a year or 2 then Hughes not to mention a higher end FA.

6-8 year deal is what the Canucks should be looking to lock Brock up too!

This is what we should aim for. These contracts are pivotal in becoming a contending team. Without the Sedins are 6 mill a piece (huge bargain during the prime of their careers) we would have never made it to the finals. We need to think like this.