The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Boeser not close to extension

Rate this topic

Patrick Jane

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I agree. He's in that danger zone of we don't know what he is yet. Is he a 40-50 goal guy or a solid 25 goal player with 30 goal upside. If he's smart and believes in himself, which he is, and knowing he's getting to play with Petey for the rest of his career, take the short term, prove it out at 40 goals and paid big on the next one. Not that 5 mil isn't big.

@18W-40C-6W  I get your name now!  At first I thought it was some metric stuff for a shapely woman.  I think Jake is the perfect winger for Petey and Bo!  

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@18W-40C-6W  I get your name now!  At first I thought it was some metric stuff for a shapely woman.  I think Jake is the perfect winger for Petey and Bo!  

Indeed he is. I get what Green is doing though. I think Jake has a tendency to get complacent in his game. Within the game, from game to game. We see flashes of great talent then he goes quiet. By putting him on the third line he's been trying to drive home how how hard he has to work shift to shift, and until he prove's he's too good to stay there, Green won't move him up. Its a bit of tough love to get his game consistent. But, I do think, he deserves a chance (and a real one) to play with some talent this year. Let's hope Green give him a good long look with those 2. I think if he can play the Tom Wilson role (which he can easily) he becomes very valuable for us.

14 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I agree. He's in that danger zone of we don't know what he is yet. Is he a 40-50 goal guy or a solid 25 goal player with 30 goal upside. If he's smart and believes in himself, which he is, and knowing he's getting to play with Petey for the rest of his career, take the short term, prove it out at 40 goals and paid big on the next one. Not that 5 mil isn't big.

We may not know if he’s a 40-50 goal guy but we definitely know he’s not a 25-30 goal guy....his current goals per game puts him at 34.5 over the course of an 82 game season. 

Make no mistake, Boeser is going to get paid and he’s going to get paid handsomely. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

If we are so bored we accept this as news, what will it be like mid summer?

The team is being relocated to Adirondack so it can be closer to the AHL affiliate in Utica?

• Cheers 1

OF COURSE NOT!

I bet Toronto does WN for BB straight up, but we don't. So we shouldn't expect him to get a dollar less than what WN received (6.9 AAV?)

BB OFFICIAL ROOKIE SEASON: 62 GAMES PLAYED, 29 GOALS, 26 ASSISTS, 55 POINTS.

WN OFFICIAL ROOKIE SEASON: 81 GAMES PLAYED, 22 GOALS, 39 ASSISTS, 61 POINTS. (He played 22 games the year prior)

The guy is a 30 goal scorer, calder trophy winner, top scorer in franchise history if it wasn't for a freak accident 2/3 into his rookie season followed up by the classic sophomore season where he was also injured and played somewhat effectively through it for the first bit of it too. Not a great offseason for him too. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Brock's college teammate, Nick Schmaltz, signed a 7 year contract for $5.85M per year. He has scored 6, 21 and 7 goals over the past three seasons and I think it would be a very tough argument to make that Brock is not worth more than that contract.If I am his agent, I would say Brock is worth at least $1M per season more than Schmaltz given their current production and trajectory.

Sorry Rick, but think you'd be a lousy agent, if you thought Boeser 55 goals over 2 seasons were  worth 'only' $1M more than  Schmaltz 34 goals over 3 years.. His agent probably thinks his worth 10M/year.... :)

But joking aside you bring up a good comparison, and it also gives a feel for, how much Canucks probably will have to pay Boeser for a long term contract. Time will tell but if he get same length of contract he'll get at least 7.5/year and more likely 8+/year. 

I see a few posters, saying that its overpayment, but the marked dictate what is overpayment and what's not. Anything and anyone is worth what people are willing to pay. 

In saying all the above, once the cat and mouse discussions are over, he could actually end up signing a team friendly contract like Horvat, but it remains to be seen.... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

If his agent is asking for 7.5 or 8 mill or whatever north of that JB should ask Brock personally one question:

Does he want to play for a "team" like Toronto and Edmonton who cant gather deep enough teams because they are paying their privililedged young and soft stars that kind of money.

OR does he want to be like Forsberg Scheifele Mackinnon Pastrnak and your own captain Bo who all took long term  ~6mill contract to give your team a chance for a Stanley cup, the one and only thing why they are even playing.

His answer should define what kind of person/player/example he wants to be.

• Upvote 2

So Bob Mac is reporting Skinner is close to an 8 year 72mill$ contract. 

Skinner scored 63 points and 40 goals this season in 82 games. Last season he had 49 points in 82 games...
Career average 55 points and 30 goals per 82 games.

That is close to what Brock has been doing so far, but he has the potential to get even better... 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Your post makes a lot of sense, but unfortunately Boeser's agent won't be looking at the internal Canucks' pay structure when asking for money.  

We have a top sniper on our hands here who (as someone already noted) isn't a play driver himself and still has a lot of work to do on the defensive side (he's young, still okay). 

If his camp wants anything more then 7 million per year, then forget buying up UFA years.  Sign him to a short bridge deal and let's see what he does over the next two years. 

How is he a top sniper?  Not saying the potential isn't there, but it's a looooong stretch to call a guy who hadn't hit 30 goals a top sniper.

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Sorry Rick, but think you'd be a lousy agent, if you thought Boeser 55 goals over 2 seasons were  worth 'only' $1M more than  Schmaltz 34 goals over 3 years.. His agent probably thinks his worth 10M/year.... :)

But joking aside you bring up a good comparison, and it also gives a feel for, how much Canucks probably will have to pay Boeser for a long term contract. Time will tell but if he get same length of contract he'll get at least 7.5/year and more likely 8+/year. 

I see a few posters, saying that its overpayment, but the marked dictate what is overpayment and what's not. Anything and anyone is worth what people are willing to pay. 

In saying all the above, once the cat and mouse discussions are over, he could actually end up signing a team friendly contract like Horvat, but it remains to be seen.... 

It's hilarious that anyone thinks he should or would accept a bridge deal. These deals are toast and are bad for players. No one wants to sign these. He'll likely be pushing for a Lindell style deal in that he signs for 7-8 years and that takes him past his first UFA eligibility. The team will have to pony up the cash to do it though so anything less than 8M per season is dream.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of these things aren't "close" until they are.

It's pretty common to shoot for the stars and see what that brings.

There's a reason it's called bargaining and agreements are reached...because you usually start far apart then see if the other side will budge (and how far).  Cat and mouse.  Tug of war.

Not worried.  Just get it done boys.  

Yes they start apart.  But if a player asks for too much it's a turnoff.  Just like if a team lowballs it would turn a player off.  

Probably not a good sign if they are apart by 3 million 

I find it funny that people search out all the most overpaid players they can find and suggest Boeser get paid more in relation to those (there are examples that go the other way). If we want to run our franchise horribly, then this is how it should be done. If Boeser is all about the money, then this is how it'll be done. Neither of these things seem to be the rep for either side. People demand Edler to show his loyalty by taking a deep discount or allowing himself to be traded, etc otherwise he doesn't care about the team's future and what not and yet Boeser should play hard ball with the team and demand his rightful dues based on 2 years of play where he hasn't completed a full season in either and regardless of the team's future build. If Boeser doesn't live up to his contract, suddenly it'll be Benning's fault for overpaying him. But if he does live up to his contract, management will get no credit and it's all praise for Boeser.

This is simply SN trying to play the Vancouver fans into thinking that we will be in a Nylander situation because of how horrible it has been for them and try to steer clear of the fact of the cap troubles Toronto is in. They will avoid all talk of their cap problems because that would have a negative effect on how they will manage it.

• Upvote 1