The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jets shopping Jacob Trouba

Right-handed defensemen with size and offensive upside in their mid-20s are rarely made available for trade, but Jacob Trouba appears to be an exception.

The Winnipeg Jets have engaged in trade talks with multiple teams about the restricted free agent blue-liner, according to TSN's Frank Seravalli.

Trouba is coming off a breakout 50-point season in 2018-19. The 25-year-old logged nearly 23 minutes per game while racking up 171 blocked shots, 112 hits, and a career-high 48 takeaways.

Trouba's camp and the Jets have never seen eye to eye in contract negotiations, which could lead to the end of his tenure in Winnipeg.

After his entry-level contract expired prior to the 2016-17 campaign, Trouba didn't sign his next pact until over a month into the season, agreeing to a two-year bridge deal. Once that expired, he and the Jets needed arbitration to settle on a one-year, $5.5-million deal this past summer. The two sides were reportedly $3 million apart before the hearing.

The Jets hold a projected $25.4 million in cap space, but RFA forwards Patrik Laine and Kyle Connor are due for significant raises. Andrew Copp, Nathan Beaulieu, and Joe Morrow round out the team's list of RFAs. Winnipeg also faces a glut of pending UFAs, including forwards Brandon Tanev and Kevin Hayes, and defensemen Tyler Myers and Ben Chiarot.

Dustin Byfuglien and Tucker Poolman are the Jets' only right-handed shooting defensemen under contract for next season.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1767366

Trade cost will be too high, have to arrange an extension before making the trade, his salary expectations will be based on his great year and every possibility that is his high water mark.

Would be a great fit, but we probably have to look at other options.  Ristolainen is probably easier to do.

Trouba is a RFA and one year to free agency.  

The risk is that he files for arbitration to get a 1 year deal and then goes to free agency in a year.   The deadline to file for arbitration is July 5.

I believe there are sources saying he does not want to play in Canada. If that's the case, we would have to pay through the nose to get him only to see him walk in 2 years. As much as I would love to have him, he would be too expensive to acquire and I don't believe he'll sign here long term.

His ability to impact a game from the defensive position - I don't question that.

His 'me first' attitude - I definitely do worry about that.

I think people see his upside and how he might fit a team need here and conveniently forget that he:

-demanded a trade from Winnipeg.

-had his agent outright lie to the media and anyone else who would listen that his player just wanted to play the 'right side, not the left'

-held out for training camp, pre-season, AND the first 15 games of the season backing up his trade demand

-was the first and only player to ever take the Jets to arbitration. 

Byfuglein, Scheifele, Ehlers, Hellybuck, Wheeler......all signed long-term contracts with the Jets.  It's clear he doesn't want to play there (or in Canada is the rumor) so I would be very worried about that factor. 

I believe the Jets will simply let an arbitrator decide what he's worth for one more season and then trade him during the season for what will likely be a pretty good return. 

to BUF:  Trouba

to WPG: Ristolainen

Now would be the time to Ristolainen if they’re going too

WGR 550: Scott Cullen on Sabres defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen: ” If they trade him, it’s time now. There’s enough of a track-record. I have the #Sabres trading him to Winnipeg. Their surroundings would allow Ristolainen to get better results.

Hes worth going after but from the way I understood it he isnt happy with a Canadian City.

So pass. Circumstances not meant to be.

If offered id base the trade around these pieces

Rights to Tryamkin

Tanev relation

Cheap possible fwds Gaudette and Virt

10th overall

No trade should happen unless an extension can be agreed upon first (ie. Mark Stone).

If an extension can be negotiated beforehand, then the trade cost will be astronomical.  So nope... not gonna be the Canucks.

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

Trade cost will be too high, have to arrange an extension before making the trade, his salary expectations will be based on his great year and every possibility that is his high water mark.

Would be a great fit, but we probably have to look at other options.  Ristolainen is probably easier to do.

Ristolainen would probably be slightly more affordable but we also don't really have the pieces BUF would be looking for (top 6 F or another young D). Where as say Tanev @50% + 10th OA +/-would probably be more in WPG's wheelhouse (though other teams could likely offer a better package).

And to all those freaking out about him walking, clearly any deal would need to include an agreement for a longer term extension.

12 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

WGR 550: Scott Cullen on Sabres defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen: ” If they trade him, it’s time now. There’s enough of a track-record. I have the #Sabres trading him to Winnipeg. Their surroundings would allow Ristolainen to get better results.

This is probably more likely.

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Winnipeg doesn't do that.  Risto is coming off a bad year and Trouba is coming off a career year.  Buffalo would need to add quite a bit.

34 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’d take him.  Give them our #10 pick and something else.   

That kid is already pretty awesome, and he will be amazing in a couple more years.  

If we can get him to agree on an extension I'd pull the trigger. I question his desire to be in Canada after the report that came out about 2 years ago.

To Vancouver: Trouba

To Winnipeg: Sutter 

Eriksson

Luongos contract

Reason for Vancouver: Trouba is a great player who could really help our team

Reason for Winnipeg: Cheveldayoff has recently starting taking hard drugs and his decision making starts to show it

39 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’d take him.  Give them our #10 pick and something else.   

That kid is already pretty awesome, and he will be amazing in a couple more years.  

Right on. We could add Tanev and it’d make sense as both the brothers would team up and Chris would probably waive for that.

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No trade should happen unless an extension can be agreed upon first (ie. Mark Stone).

Agree, as will be the case for most teams. 

Just now, EliasBoeser said:

To Vancouver: Trouba

To Winnipeg: Sutter 

Eriksson

Luongos contract

Reason for Vancouver: Trouba is a great player who could really help our team

Reason for Winnipeg: Cheveldayoff has recently starting taking hard drugs and his decision making starts to show it

Can't trade Luongo's contract - it's a retention. 

Archived