The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kapanen in TO available

I took the below statement from a Toronto Maple Leafs poster:

his was from Bob McKenzie on Insider Trading.

Said the Leafs have been the busiest team right now and the three players they are getting the most calls on are Kadri, Kapanen and Brown

If true, the Canucks should take a look at Kapanen. Very fast and has some skill to play on Horvat's RW. RFA so no idea what it would take. He is 6'1" 190, 22 years old, and had 44 points last year. The games I saw him in really showed his speed and he did not seem afraid to go into some dirty areas. Perfect age to work with our core.

Your thoughts? 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

I like Kapanen but we'd have to give up something equally good.

Would you give up next year's first and third? Our next years first with Kapanen and Hughes and maybe another add is a later first. We add a player we could only hope to draft with our first and third. Young and would look great with EP. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 1

Just now, rekker said:

Would you give up next year's first and third? Our next years first with Kapanen and Hughes and maybe another add is a later first. We add a player we could only hope to draft with our first and third. Young and would look great with EP. 

No, as there's no guarantee we're good and it's a deep draft anyhow. I'd give up the 2nd, though.

• Cheers 1

Kapanen is an RFA that teams know Toronto will not be able to afford knowing they need to sign Marner with most of their open cap along with some other players. Because of that, I do not think TO would get great offers for him. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Kapanen is an RFA that teams know Toronto will not be able to afford knowing they need to sign Marner with most of their open cap along with some other players. Because of that, I do not think TO would get great offers for him. 

Teams are going to compete to get him.  It's the highest bidder that will win.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Toronto needs a RHD badly. So maybe Tanev at 50% and a 3rd??

Edit: or just Tanev at 50%.

Your right I might be undervaluing Tanev retained so a 3rd sounds good. I don't think Tanev alone will do it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, rekker said:

Kapanen is exactly what we need. I believe the specutalion because I have been saying for months that Kapanen is ripe for an offer sheet. 4.2 million per would only cost a team a second and I'm not even sure TO can match that. To offer Kapanen 5.5 or near around there would cost a third and a first. TO cant match that and are scared of losing the kid.  It your team has a late first it makes sense. A lot of sense. 

Someone please enlighten me, but why are people tossing around $4m+ dollars on a player that has had 1 good season under his belt?  I would think that's a risk in itself.  Some people are talking about giving up a 1st round pick ++ for him?  I don't get it.

Edit: I'd also be cautious as he was playing on one of the most offensively stacked teams in the NHL.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Someone please enlighten me, but why are people tossing around $4m+ dollars on a player that has had 1 good season under his belt?  I would think that's a risk in itself.  Some people are talking about giving up a 1st round pick ++ for him?  I don't get it.

Edit: I'd also be cautious as he was playing on one of the most offensively stacked teams in the NHL.

One of the few Leafs to impress me this year. Speed and compete and has a great shot. He is way more a complete player than Willie N. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I agree, a lot of contracts these days are assuming continued growth, as opposed to a dollar figure that matches current offensive output...

But this guy is poised to break out. His skating is damned impressive, he basically leaps off the screen with it when you watch, and he comes with a pedigree (his dad was one hell of a pro). This is somebody worth taking that chance on, at least in my estimation. 

The new Nucks are going to kill with speed, Kasperi only adds to that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I suppose because it would be a major selling point for Toronto to make the deal with us. They get a top 4 RHD with a very low salary which would help them in their cap crunch. Just spit balling.

Tanev is a free agent in one year.   Would he even want to stay there and could they afford him on his new contract.  

Not that I've seen a lot of Kap in games, but I drifted over to the Leef's HF board and noticed a lot of derogatory comments about his hockey IQ.  They also think he will want +++$s.  He does have blazing speed though.

Both Kap and Johnsson have benefited by playing alongside a couple mighty C's, so that has certainly helped their scoring #s.  Looks like the Leafs may have decided on keeping Johnsson and collecting a return on Kaps.

• Like 1