The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kapanen in TO available

7 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

I love Kapanen but I believe the system GMJB is creating it amazing and I do not think moving any of his draft picks are ideal because I consider all of his draft picks lottery tickets with increased odds, because its JIM!

All in for Panarin or Karlsson. I think theres a significant chance we land one of the two.

Panarin would be a few hours away from LA, we have specific "California swing" road trips, and our west coast weather is pretty comfortable.

I say we get a seat at his table at the very least, and Pettersson death stares him until he signs Vancouver's deal. 

Pettersson and Panarin could make ALOT of money together. Its the "clout" era, and Vancouver gets it, theres a lot of branding, sponsorship, etc etc opportunities with Vancouver as apposed to sunny Florida I would assume. All we have here is hockey is what im saying. Hockey and overpriced real estate.

That death stare just might be the tipping point in negotiations.   Seriously though if we want them, yes we are in the running.   Only a handful of teams can afford them without destroying their cap for the term of their contracts and we just happen to be one of them.  Panarin, Pettersson, Boeser would be the best line in hockey within a few short years with three 40 plus goal scorers on it...in this scenario NO bridge deal for Boeser, lock him in for 8 like St Louis did with Tarasenko a few years ago.   Draft Seider and be done with it.

I'm still not convinced that he's a legitimate top 6 guy.  He really feels like Jannik Hansen 2.0 to me.  He played on one of the most stacked offensive teams in the NHL.  I'm pretty sure Hansen would have put up similar numbers.

I know it won’t happen, but it would be great if GMs Judy let Toronto try to get out of its own mess.

It was a self inflicted wound where they went out and sniped an $11 million dollar player knowing full well that a year later they needed the cap space.

I also like the allegedly overhead comment from a Canucks scout... “why would we want Toronto players, we want to win playoff rounds”

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

The reality of an offer sheet is overpaying a player and then giving up assets as well. If it's a market value deal, it's getting matched for sure and all it does is that you lose out on your bid and get a bad rep. There are some possible scenarios where an offer sheet should work like Toronto's RFAs, and they really are the only team worth offer sheeting for because they are screwing up the league contract-wise with their terrible deals so they cannot have a good rep right now anyway.

Agreed, many teams in the east would cheer an offer sheet as they don’t want Toronto to keep all that young talent. Because of Toronto’s competitive dynamic, and as you said the salary inflation they are causing, I do think there’s less risk of being ostracized in the league than their used to be. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

48 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm still not convinced that he's a legitimate top 6 guy.  He really feels like Jannik Hansen 2.0 to me.  He played on one of the most stacked offensive teams in the NHL.  I'm pretty sure Hansen would have put up similar numbers.

Nope, a lot of his goals came from the third line bud. I live in to and watched a lot of the games. He’s no Pastrnak, he’s not going to get you 40 goals but he plays like Burrows with speed (without the chirpyness). He’s hard on pucks, has a high hockey IQ, plays 200 ft and competes hard every night. The guy you’re describing is Little Willie. He’s a perimeter, soft player who’s the beneficiary of playing with talent. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, HKSR said:

Someone please enlighten me, but why are people tossing around $4m+ dollars on a player that has had 1 good season under his belt?  I would think that's a risk in itself.  Some people are talking about giving up a 1st round pick ++ for him?  I don't get it.

Edit: I'd also be cautious as he was playing on one of the most offensively stacked teams in the NHL.

He's really good. I mean if you flip it around Petey's only had 1 good season.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

That death stare just might be the tipping point in negotiations.   Seriously though if we want them, yes we are in the running.   Only a handful of teams can afford them without destroying their cap for the term of their contracts and we just happen to be one of them.  Panarin, Pettersson, Boeser would be the best line in hockey within a few short years with three 40 plus goal scorers on it...in this scenario NO bridge deal for Boeser, lock him in for 8 like St Louis did with Tarasenko a few years ago.   Draft Seider and be done with it.

Love it! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn’t call him a first line player but he is a good second liner. He would have been 4th for forwards on the Canucks and he was 4th on the Leafs.

If we were a bottom tiered playoff team and a top 6 forward short/needing speed etc he would be an awesome pickup. However JB needs to focus on finding a 1st line winger and top 2 defender before this team as the luxury of chasing a Kapanen.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Nope, a lot of his goals came from the third line bud. I live in to and watched a lot of the games. He’s no Pastrnak, he’s not going to get you 40 goals but he plays like Burrows with speed (without the chirpyness). He’s hard on pucks, has a high hockey IQ, plays 200 ft and competes hard every night. The guy you’re describing is Little Willie. He’s a perimeter, soft player who’s the beneficiary of playing with talent. 

How much PP time did he usually get?

19 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I actually see Tony as an untouchable myself. That guy bleeds blue and often. His compete level and passion is worth more on this then it could be worth in any trade. I personally consider him part of the future core.

I would hate to see Stech gone. Nobody can ever question his heart or his effort. Blue and green flow through his veins. There is no questioning that. One of my favourites.

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I dunno... Half of these goals were had with one of the big 3 (Matthews, Marner, Tavares) being involved.  

Looks like he has very good speed and pretty good hands. Is dangerous in transition intercepting pucks at the blue line and then going the other way.
I think he'd fit on Bo's wing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Looks like he has very good speed and pretty good hands. Is dangerous in transition intercepting pucks at the blue line and then going the other way.
I think he'd fit on Bo's wing. 

Agreed.  Good speed, decent hands, and I'd say he has a very good release to his shot.  He's definitely not a 1st line talent, but I'd say middle 6.  I just feel some people overrate him a bit.  1st round pick value?  That's a bit much.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Agreed.  Good speed, decent hands, and I'd say he has a very good release to his shot.  He's definitely not a 1st line talent, but I'd say middle 6.  I just feel some people overrate him a bit.  1st round pick value?  That's a bit much.

There's no way we'd over a 1st round pick for him. Toronto is cap-strapped, and will take a lesser offer. 

Interesting thing is do they go for max value or try package him with a cap dump to move it out? Kapanen is well on his way to becoming a really good top 6 swiss army knife player. If not for their depth on RW he'd have had a quite the breakout season. His numbers dropped when Nylander came back. Likely cause he got fewer offensive looks as well as moved to a less offensive line. Stick him with Bo and we'll have a legit number 2 line with Pearson Bo and Kapanen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Interesting thing is do they go for max value or try package him with a cap dump to move it out? Kapanen is well on his way to becoming a really good top 6 swiss army knife player. If not for their depth on RW he'd have had a quite the breakout season. His numbers dropped when Nylander came back. Likely cause he got fewer offensive looks as well as moved to a less offensive line. Stick him with Bo and we'll have a legit number 2 line with Pearson Bo and Kapanen.

You are correct in hinting that he does not drive a line, he needs other players to drive the play for him, and this is the problem. Marchand and Patrick Kane in comparison drive their lines with their speed, hands and hockey IQ. Horvat and Pettersson drive their lines. At 10th overall Vancouver can potentially draft another play driver such as Krebs. 

Edited by Maddogy

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

You are correct in hinting that he does not drive a line, he needs other players to drive the play for him, and this is the problem. Horvat and Pettersson drive their lines. At 10th overall Vancouver can potentially draft another play driver such as Krebs. 

For sure, he's not an elite top 6 guy, so I would not give up a 1st rounder for him. Mostly cause ours will likely be quite high. I would think they'd like depth players/slightly more NHL ready prospects anyway since they are a playoff team. Something involving Lind and a 2nd would be a good starting point. Or Jake Virtanen+ maybe. 

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I dont think it's too much. A top ten first round pick is too much for Kapanen. But really, the attributes you just listed are everything you would hope for in a middle to late first round pick. And there is no guessing now. You trade your first for him or lose it in an offer sheet and you have a guaranteed top six winger instead of a Gaunce or Shinkaruk.