The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kapanen in TO available

12 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Two different skill sets absolutely but I think he'd be an excellent addition with 53.

Stats don't tell the entire story.

Oh I'd love to have him on my team. I just wouldn't mention him in the same breath as Petterson.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I wouldn’t call him a first line player but he is a good second liner. He would have been 4th for forwards on the Canucks and he was 4th on the Leafs.

If we were a bottom tiered playoff team and a top 6 forward short/needing speed etc he would be an awesome pickup. However JB needs to focus on finding a 1st line winger and top 2 defender before this team as the luxury of chasing a Kapanen.

Those things are not mutually exclusive.

What makes me laugh about this thread is a year ago I made a proposal suggesting we try and get Kapanen by offering Sutter straight up and got roasted....now I bet every CDCer on here would love if that trade occurred..he’s going to be a decent-good middle six player, has the pedigree and chops to make it work.  Maybe our second and Lind would be enough now...also think that might be a mistake, Lind still has some ok odds at making it work this year in Utica now that he’s well and has gotten used to that level, plus our second could end up a player too...

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

What makes me laugh about this thread is a year ago I made a proposal suggesting we try and get Kapanen by offering Sutter straight up and got roasted....now I bet every CDCer on here would love if that trade occurred..he’s going to be a decent-good middle six player, has the pedigree and chops to make it work.  Maybe our second and Lind would be enough now...also think that might be a mistake, Lind still has some ok odds at making it work this year in Utica now that he’s well and has gotten used to that level, plus our second could end up a player too...

Nah I 'm Good. ::D

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ok almost everyone would rather have Kapanen then Sutter..at a similar cap hit..

As of today, I wouldn't pay Kapanen more than 3-3.5 million for 3 years. I think a healthy Sutter would provide more value at the moment. However because Sutter has been so injury prone and Kapanen is younger, then I'd definitely make the deal.

• Cheers 2

On 6/1/2019 at 2:32 PM, HKSR said:

Someone please enlighten me, but why are people tossing around $4m+ dollars on a player that has had 1 good season under his belt?  I would think that's a risk in itself.  Some people are talking about giving up a 1st round pick ++ for him?  I don't get it.

Edit: I'd also be cautious as he was playing on one of the most offensively stacked teams in the NHL.

That's how bargain deal are made.   Right now he's not worth that...but people are going to bet on him reaching his potential and being a bargain for 3-4-5 years.  If you wait 1 more year and Kapanen breaks out with a 60+ pts season...he's going to cost you 6M+ plus....that how it's works.   It is a risk....of course it is, but i'm pretty sure it's a pretty well calculated risk when you see his progression.

Heck, Boeser only had 2 good season (where he was both injured)...and we will need to throw at the very least 7M$....I don't see Why it's a problem to give 4M to Kapanen.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

As of today, I wouldn't pay Kapanen more than 3-3.5 million for 3 years. I think a healthy Sutter would provide more value at the moment. However because Sutter has been so injury prone and Kapanen is younger, then I'd definitely make the deal.

And that’s why we should have made the deal like this one when we could.  Now nobody wants Sutter and we are stuck with him for better or worse.  Getting younger and or adding picks is what a rebuilding teams is supposed to be doing after all..

Kapanen would be a fantastic add. I’d say everything should be on the table besides the obvious untouchables (bo, brock, petey, Quinn, 10 oa). He’d instantly be the 4th best forward on the team and will likely sign long term for under 5 mill. Those are the players you win cups with

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Kapanen would be a fantastic add. I’d say everything should be on the table besides the obvious untouchables (bo, brock, petey, Quinn, 10 oa). He’d instantly be the 4th best forward on the team and will likely sign long term for under 5 mill. Those are the players you win cups with

Kapanen?

Actually those are not the players teams win Cups with.  He's a perimeter player.  I like him, but only as a third line support role guy.  He can play a shut down role, and PK.  He can play an important role, but not for the Cap he's expecting.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kapanen?

Actually those are not the players teams win Cups with.  He's a perimeter player.  I like him, but only as a third line support role guy.  He can play a shut down role, and PK.  He can play an important role, but not for the Cap he's expecting.  

He might help ya get there, but when the time comes, you need players who step up and get greasy goals. Not waiting in the sweet spots for gifts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

And that’s why we should have made the deal like this one when we could.  Now nobody wants Sutter and we are stuck with him for better or worse.  Getting younger and or adding picks is what a rebuilding teams is supposed to be doing after all..

Hindsight, yes this deal should've been made, so good call for having that foresight. At the time though, it would've been difficult to make that argument to move a proven shut down centerman for a project player. We already had a ton of project players and who knows if his production would've been the same here assuming he would even win out a top 6 spot (he nabbed one thanks to Nylander holding out) and keep it all year here rather than playing with the likes of Matthews and Marleau, etc. We had a similar player in the same role if he joined the Canucks then in Virtanen and we started the year with Goldobin in the top 6. Sutter and Beagle are part of lines taking on the tougher assignments which also allows a rebuild to happen properly not exposing the young players to the rigors so quickly and making them lose confidence in the league. It's just the way it played out and who knows if Toronto would've even been interested in taking on more cap only to add another center to Tavares, Matthews and Kadri.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

He might help ya get there, but when the time comes, you need players who step up and get greasy goals. Not waiting in the sweet spots for gifts.

Exactly.  A team just cannot afford (in the salary cap era) to pay guys like Kapanen too much if they expect to have a complete roster.  A shutdown third line center, if far more important than a Kapanen type player.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  A team just cannot afford (in the salary cap era) to pay guys like Kapanen too much if they expect to have a complete roster.  A shutdown third line center, if far more important than a Kapanen type player.  

Gotta disagree big time here. Depth scoring is much more important. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Kapanen?

I think you’re underselling his scoring upside. Very fast player with a good shot. Similar to Virtanen minus the physicality, but with a higher hockey IQ. Plus he can be locked up for cheap. What you don’t want to do is overpay players in your bottom 6. Kapanen can be an effective scoring 2nd line RW, who plays both special teams, for around 4 million per season and is still young (same age as virtanen and Goldobin). Put him with a guy like Bo and watch them outskate what ever defense they’re matched up against

• Upvote 1