The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson for Wennberg after signing bonus paid

Now as crazy as this sounds a deal might make sense for both sides. CBJ is a small market team not near the cap limit. Wennberg is going to get paid 5.35 million per year in salary for four more years. 

Signing bonuses are paid in July, meaning that Eriksson would cost CBJ only 1 million next season and four million the remaining two years for an average of 3.3 million ( a savings of 2 million per year). Canucks save 1.1 million in cap hit and get a younger player.

Eriksson averaged .36 PPG  to Wennberg's .33 so he is coming off of a similar season. Given Wennberg's age and potential upside maybe the Canucks a pick or two but fundamentally this trade could be a fit for both sides and give two struggling players a much needed change in scenery. 

Edited by canucklehead44

Torts would destroy this "man"

I remember him just digging into Booth. He would be buzzcutting LE.

It really feels like Ottawa, Arizona, or Utica.

Maybe LE and 2nd in 2020

If they lose Panarin Dzinfel and Brob so they get the floor. 

But to give up Wennberg..? Maybe gaudette?

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That sack of manure Porter did FAR more damage to Booth than Fonze ever did....

I was at this game and was sitting in the lower bowl near where it happened. It looked bad. I remember telling the person I was with that was his career right there. He did play after that but wasn’t the same. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Now as crazy as this sounds a deal might make sense for both sides. CBJ is a small market team not near the cap limit. Wennberg is going to get paid 5.35 million per year in salary for four more years. 

Signing bonuses are paid in July, meaning that Eriksson would cost CBJ only 1 million next season and four million the remaining two years for an average of 3.3 million ( a savings of 2 million per year). Canucks save 1.1 million in cap hit and get a younger player.

Eriksson averaged .36 PPG  to Wennberg's .33 so he is coming off of a similar season. Given Wennberg's age and potential upside maybe the Canucks a pick or two but fundamentally this trade could be a fit for both sides and give two struggling players a much needed change in scenery. 

I like this deal a lot from Vancouver’s end, but I don’t think CBJ would accept.   Why would they take on more cap when they have cap problems of their own?  Why would they accept an older asset that has also struggled the last few years?

I don’t see why Columbus accepts this deal.

25 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I was at this game and was sitting in the lower bowl near where it happened. It looked bad. I remember telling the person I was with that was his career right there. He did play after that but wasn’t the same. 

Yeah unless my recollection is off, I think Booth was putting up top six type of points at the time.  Nothing spectacular but acceptable.  It went downhill after that cheap knee on knee.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, apollo said:

I like it... but there's no chance on earth Loui waives his NTC for CBJ... especially with Torts at the helm.

The nucks are in a position to strong arm Eriksson and lay it out for him.  

We have a deal in place and want you to waive your NTC.  This is it for a deal and if you refuse, we will send you to the AHL.  Play for team x, y or z or go the the AHL.  We wont have you back on our roster for next year.  

His speaking out is grounds enough for a deal.  His failure to live up to expectations is his issue IMO.  Wenneberg at least is young enough to turn things around.  

This team owes LE nothing more than money at this point.  

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I like this deal a lot from Vancouver’s end, but I don’t think CBJ would accept.   Why would they take on more cap when they have cap problems of their own?  Why would they accept an older asset that has also struggled the last few years?

I don’t see why Columbus accepts this deal.

They save quite a lot of hard cash on a player who performed similarly PLUS can squeeze some additional assets, perhaps a 2nd rounder, a swap of picks, or another player who can help them win now.

Another option would be Eriksson for Dubinsky straight across. Eriksson is owed 10 million on his contract compared to Dubinsky at 11.6M. Reason Vancouver does this deal is to clear off that last year of cap space when Pettersson and Hughes need to be re-signed. Problem is Dubinsky has a NMC and I doubt we waives for Vancouver. 

Edited by canucklehead44

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

We have a deal in place and want you to waive your NTC.  This is it for a deal and if you refuse, we will send you to the AHL.  Play for team x, y or z or go the the AHL.  We wont have you back on our roster for next year.  

His speaking out is grounds enough for a deal.  His failure to live up to expectations is his issue IMO.  Wenneberg at least is young enough to turn things around.  

This is one thing I failed to include was the fact that Eriksson said he was unhappy with his playing time. This is a risk on Vancouver's end as well. If Wennberg takes another step backward we have a big contract with an extra year on it. The case for both teams is that the players involved, if they were to turn things around, would work out to a win-win deal. 

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah unless my recollection is off, I think Booth was putting up top six type of points at the time.  Nothing spectacular but acceptable.  It went downhill after that cheap knee on knee.

You are correct. He was playing really well (by David Booth standards) at the time. Like you said, a serviceable Top 6. When he came back from that injury he had lost that extra step and agility which made him ineffective in the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Good luck trying to sign future FA’s

• Upvote 1

This trade doesn’t make sense for CBJ at all. They get worse while taking on a higher cap hit? Why would they do this?? The savings of a couple mill over multiple years is not worth it for an NHL team. They’re revenues are so high, numbers like this are insignificant. 

A more realistic trade trade would be sutter for wennberg. Fresh start for both players

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

This trade doesn’t make sense for CBJ at all. They get worse while taking on a higher cap hit? Why would they do this?? The savings of a couple mill over multiple years is not worth it for an NHL team. They’re revenues are so high, numbers like this are insignificant. 

A more realistic trade trade would be sutter for wennberg. Fresh start for both players

I’d be good with that trade. Sutter is a Torts kind of player and Wennberg is still young and may turn it around playing with our young talent.