The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sutter + 10th overall for [upgrade 3rd line C + lower 2019 1st]

[proposal] Sutter + 10th overall for [upgrade 3rd line C + lower 2019 1st]

To ######:  Sutter + 10th overall

To Vancouver:  [Horvat > x > Sutter] + lower 2019th 1st rounder.   (x = center).  Ideally, the center would be youngish.....maybe on an ELC or a bridge.

I’m wondering if something like this would be possible or even advisable?   The Canucks move down the draft ladder (but still keep a 1st), but take on another teams’ “very good” 3rd line Center that has better playmaking ability than Sutter.

In the new NHL, more and more teams have three scoring lines as opposed to two scoring lines and two shutdown/checking lines.  As it relates to Brandon Sutter, I’m just not sure if he fits today’s mold of being a “scoring/playmaking” 3rd line C.   If we’re looking to get more scoring from the likes of Virtanen and/or Eriksson, we might have to upgrade here.  

I’m wondering if there’s a player that fits this description?  Two names that come to mind are Alexander Wenneberg and Sam Bennett, but I’m not sure if taking on their 1st (for our 1st) equates to equivalent value of those guys being an upgrade over Sutter?  Perhaps there is someone else out there?  Jean Gabriel Pageau?  (Although the Sens don’t have a 1st to give us.....they’d need to give us another solid asset).

Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudette (reasoning explained in the 3rd post)

Goldobin-####-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Pettersson+Horvat+NewGuy+Beagle = very strong depth down the middle.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

We have our own Wennberg is Gaudette, who has a higher ceiling at this point. 

As a wise man once said: 

Stay the course, build through the draft 

Edit: thanks for the likes guys, might be the most on a single post since I joined CDC ^_^

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Adam Gaudette won the Hobey Baker at age 21.  Maybe we should give him a chance to be our 3rd line future centre before we start giving away assets...

Sorry I should have completed my thought here:

Here is what I was thinking:

Instead of using Gaudette as our 3rd line C next season, what if the Canucks played him on Horvat’s wing on the 2nd line?  (2nd Line RW).

1) Gaudette would be burdened with less responsibilities being a winger.

2) Gaudette can develop his offensive game in a Top 6 role as opposed to playing on a 3rd line role with inferior teammates.

3) Skating isn’t Gaudette’s strongsuit, but neither is Pearson’s.  Hence - Pearson and Gaudette could perhaps play together on Horvat’s line.  

4) Gaudette can move to center and build up his experience as a center if and when the team has injuries. 

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudette

Goldobin-#####-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal] Sutter + 10th overall for [upgrade 3rd line C + lower 2019 1st]

To ######:  Sutter + 10th overall

To Vancouver:  [Horvat > x > Sutter] + lower 2019th 1st rounder.   (x = center).  Ideally, the center would be youngish.....maybe on an ELC or a bridge.

I’m wondering if something like this would be possible or even advisable?   The Canucks move down the draft ladder (but still keep a 1st), but take on another teams’ “very good” 3rd line Center that has better playmaking ability than Sutter.

In the new NHL, more and more teams have three scoring lines as opposed to two scoring lines and two shutdown/checking lines.  As it relates to Brandon Sutter, I’m just not sure if he fits today’s mold of being a “scoring/playmaking” 3rd line C.   If we’re looking to get more scoring from the likes of Virtanen and/or Eriksson, we might have to upgrade here.  

I’m wondering if there’s a player that fits this description?  Two names that come to mind are Alexander Wenneberg and Sam Bennett, but I’m not sure if taking on their 1st (for our 1st) equates to equivalent value of those guys being an upgrade over Sutter?  Perhaps there is someone else out there?  Jean Gabriel Pageau?  (Although the Sens don’t have a 1st to give us.....they’d need to give us another solid asset).

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudette (reasoning explained in the 3rd post)

Goldobin-####-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Pettersson+Horvat+NewGuy+Beagle = very strong depth down the middle.

LOL take a guy that hasn't scored more than 25 goals, on the downward phase of his career, thats overpaid and can't stay healthy.  Not a chance they would even move to 9th overall, let alone 3rd. To move up that much it would take our 1st, probably a 3rd or even a 2nd, and Gaudette/Goldobin (maybe?)

15 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

LOL take a guy that hasn't scored more than 25 goals, on the downward phase of his career, thats overpaid and can't stay healthy.  Not a chance they would even move to 9th overall, let alone 3rd. To move up that much it would take our 1st, probably a 3rd or even a 2nd, and Gaudette/Goldobin (maybe?)

Wait, what?  Lol.  

Perhaps I didn’t type correctly, but my proposal was meant to say:

Sutter + 10th overall for a 3rd line Center (better than Sutter) + a 2019 1st that was lower than 10th overall (ie 11th, 12th, 13th, etc).

My proposal was to UPGRADE our 3rd line C spot while DOWNGRADING our 2019 1st rounder for the equivalent difference.

My reasoning?  Perhaps Gaudette would be better served playing as a winger on the top 6 as opposed to being burdened playing the third line C spot.  Gaudette could get more offensive opportunities playing with BoHo.

Meanwhile, a center with better playmaking ability than Sutter could be used to get guys like Virtanen, Leivo, Goldobin (whoever plays on the 3rd line) going offensively.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Upvote 1

why not use the 10th pick and get ourselves a young centre and use sutter until he is ready to play. i could see gaudette on bo’s line. i’ld rather have roussel on the 3rd line and move goldobin to uttica or beyond. if baertschi is the answer with petey and brock  great, but i still think they need a grittier player like burrows on their line. 

what sutter lacks in scoring prowess, he makes up for it in defence and being a heart and soul guy. 

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Center is the one position, other than goalie, that doesn't need upgrading.

the further you go from that 8-10 area in the draft the chance of landing outstanding talent drops off like a cliff. Why would we do that when Gaudette and Sutter can form a good 3C pair? Gaudette still needs careful development so I can see this pairing being very beneficial this year for AGs development. 

• Upvote 2

this Team needs more draft picks not more third liners. 

Sutter for a draft pick and any other vet that could that has value too. 

should have been done 5 years ago but we had a “window” so picks were traded for nothing. Hence why the farm can’t even ice a team at the young stars. 

57 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Center is the one position, other than goalie, that doesn't need upgrading.

Could argue LD is still pretty set moving forward as well. A combination of Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Teves, Sautner and Utunen should make up a very solid top 6 lineup in the future.

Hughes-______

Juolevi- Woo

Tryamkin- Rafferty

Rathbone- Chatfield

• Wat 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Sutter + 10th overall for [upgrade 3rd line C + lower 2019 1st]
6 hours ago, combover said:

this Team needs more draft picks not more third liners. 

Sutter for a draft pick and any other vet that could that has value too. 

should have been done 5 years ago but we had a “window” so picks were traded for nothing. Hence why the farm can’t even ice a team at the young stars. 

The farm can’t ice a team for more reasons than that.  Boeser, EP, Hughes and AG graduated quickly, Tryamkin bolted, Lind and OJ got injured, Goldobin has proved he’s too good for the AHL, Dahlen is gone (granted under dubious circumstances) and the rest are too young...The farm isn’t as important as guys making the team without playing a game (core guys) ... and the farm is bigger than the AHL when we are using the NCAA and Europe to develop our players too.    Yes it would be nice to have a bunch of guys in the AHL...but even better a bunch of guys in the NHL right?  Seems to be happening regardless of what’s happening down there.

I can't say I like this idea at all to be honest. The best player out of all of this is likely the 10OA which is what will likely impact our team the most. While a lower pick might yield the same results, it's less likely for that to happen obviously as it's later on in the draft.

3rd line centers are generally fairly easy to get so there's not much point in giving up a potential future star for a lesser 3rd liner.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

@Hindustan Smyl

Did you put a Sikh turban on Smyle, and then call him a Hindu?  

Gaudette could become a top six winger, so I like that idea of him on the wing.  Sutter is already our third line center, and he’s good in that role.

Yes that is correct.  I know that it’s technically not correct (ie  typical Hindu’s don’t wear Turban’s and Turban’s a more of a staple of the Sikh Community), but it’s just meant to be in good fun.  I’m half East Indian myself and have a deep and profound respect for the South Asian Community.   I feel privileged to have learned a lot about the traditions and cultures of India.

I hope no one is offended by my avatar as it’s just meant to be silly fun.  If anything, it’s better than my old evil Messier avatar.  :-p

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

lol we are suppose to be getting higher draft picks not lower , what exactly is the point of that trade  it makes no sense at all ,  next thing you will be wanting to trade boesser   for  zucker  oh wait I think u did that already 

Boeser for Zucker wasn’t me.

a few weeks back, I contemplated the idea of 

Boeser + 10th to LA for Toffoli + LA’s pick if Byram was still available, but I wouldn’t do that.

As far as my Sutter idea goes, I think it makes sense for the following reasons:

1) In the modern NHL, more and more teams have 3 scoring lines and 1 shut down line, as opposed to the more traditional “2 scoring + 2 shut down” lines.   With Beagle here, the presence of Sutter is a little redundant.   When  the team is faced with injuries, Horvat has also proven that he can be a “situational” guy that can play more defensive roles if need be.

2) Get our 3rd line wingers going a bit.    Sutter and Beagle are great defensive centers, but let’s face it.   Both guys are black holes offensively in terms of setting up their wingers for offensive opportunities.  In the new NHL, it’s ok if one of your centers is like this, but not two.   

If the Canucks can upgrade on Sutter and get someone that can contribute more offensively (and has better playmaking ability), then you might be able to get more out of your Loui Eriksson’s, or your Jake Virtanen’s, or your Josh Leivo’s.......or whoever is slated to play on that 3rd line.   

2) Developing Adam Gaudette:   Many posters in this thread have pointed out to me that we’ve got Adam Gaudette.   My opinion is as follows:   I think at this stage of Gaudette’s development, he might be better off being used as a winger on the 2nd line (riding shotgun with Horvat and Pearson) as opposed to being burdened with having to carry a 3rd line.  Gaudette could very well be that guy in the future, but I don’t think he’s there yet.   I say let Gaudette develop his offensive game on the 2nd line, and then move to center when there are injuries.  

Neither Gaudette not Sutter are good enough to carry the 3rd line wingers on our team.  As a result, our secondary and auxiliary scoring would likely continue to be a massive weakness which would result in us being overly reliant on Boeser, Pettersson, and Horvat again (which could lead to burnout later in the year as we saw with Pettersson).

IF the Canucks were to upgrade their 3rd line C however (Pageau?  someone else?), then I think the chances of the Canucks having respectable secondary scoring would increase greatly.  

Gaudette then develops his offensive game on the second line and isn’t as burdened with responsibilities.   With Gaudette on the 2nd line getting 2nd line minutes, he’d get more of an opportunity to take his game to the next level.

That was my thinking behind all of this.