The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]LA Looking at buying out Phaneuf

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-considering-buying-defenceman-dion-phaneuf/

Just saw on Sportsnet website that Kypreos was talking about this

Anyone else wonder if we took Phaneuf if LA night also give us their 22nd overall pick from Toronto (Don't see them giving up their 4th overall)

Not sure what we could offer in return - YES I have been out in the sun so if this sounds crazy thats my excuse 

Hmmm see I don’t believe that any team would give up a 1st round pick to get out of a contract. At least there is no precedent that I can think of.  

I know that teams gave up a lot to the Knights for them to take a specific player off their roster, but those teams were also in line to lose a really good young prospect as well, so that needs to be taken into consideration.  

It could work if we were to send Ben Hutton back, although I’m really not a big fan of Dion. 

i see no reason why la needs that sort of additional cap space

they are rebuilding

but you want them to move out some young asset/draft

to create cap room that they do not need

and that will hamper their rebuild

please explain that logic?

i think it makes more sense for them to just buy out dion

21 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-considering-buying-defenceman-dion-phaneuf/

Anyone else wonder if we took Phaneuf if LA night also give us their 22nd overall pick from Toronto (Don't see them giving up their 4th overall)

Not sure what we could offer in return - YES I have been out in the sun so if this sounds crazy thats my excuse 

Pettersson picked off his pizza last season which might have something to do with it :o

21 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hmmm see I don’t believe that any team would give up a 1st round pick to get out of a contract. At least there is no precedent that I can think of.  

I know that teams gave up a lot to the Knights for them to take a specific player off their roster, but those teams were also in line to lose a really good young prospect as well, so that needs to be taken into consideration.  

It could work if we were to send Ben Hutton back, although I’m really not a big fan of Dion. 

Chicago paid Teravainen to dump Bickell. Detroit paid their 16th overall pick (Chychrun) to Arizona to dump Datsyuk's contract. It's not out of the ordinary.

2 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Chicago paid Teravainen to dump Bickell. Detroit paid their 16th overall pick (Chychrun) to Arizona to dump Datsyuk's contract. It's not out of the ordinary.

Detroit actually moved down in the first round to dump the Datsyuk contract. They didn't just give up the pick. They dropped from 16th overall (which was used to pick Chychrun) to 20th overall (where they picked Dennis Cholowski). So that's not exactly true that they just gave up a 1st rounder to get out of the Datsyuk contract.

With that said, the Bickell/Teravainen thing does make sense. You can take on a contract for a B+ prospect. The problem here is that the Kings don't have the prospect depth to give away anybody. I just don't know who the Kings would give up to dump the Phaneuf deal. Also, Phaneuf, according to Capfriendly, still has a M-NTC and I'm not sure he's gonna be all that interested in leaving LA -- since he's married to actress Elisha Cuthbert, who is LA based. I could see Phaneuf retiring if he gets bought out this summer unless he can get a 1 year show me deal for Anaheim.

Canucks need to steer clear here. No need to take on a bad contract just cause. Especially from a divisional rival. Let LA suffer. I don't see a taker for this one.

14 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I wonder if L.A. realizes their cap hit will be more in year two by buying him out than if would be just to keep him on the payroll. His current cap hit is $5.25M and the buyout cap hit for 2020/21 season would be $5.416M...LOL

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/dion-phaneuf

Addition by subtraction situation imo.

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

You're missing out some pretty critical parts of those deals.

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

It would take more than the 22nd pick to incentivize the Canucks to take on Phaneuf imo. That is a big financial and cap liability.

I guess it depends on LAs scouting but this would have to be a swap of the 10th and 5th picks to make this worth it for us. I suspect the buyout story is being floated to get Dion to open up that 12 team trade list of his. 

We'd maybe have to add a bit, but the 10th + prospect for the 5th and Phaneuf could be a thing if LA is desperate enough and thinks Byram will be gone by 5. 

Better off with La buying him off , we can sign him if elder doesnt want to sign cheap with the team . If u compare elder to phaneuf , they r about the same player both play on pp/pk , similar age , both can move the puck well and only reason why his production was bad last season of willie ....(not the best coach )

The only thing different phaneuf is a bit older , but more of a physical player then edler is.

Phaneuf offseason signing after la buy him out 2y x 2-3m

Elder 2-3y x 5-7m with a protection contract 

Which would u choice 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess it depends on LAs scouting but this would have to be a swap of the 10th and 5th picks to make this worth it for us. I suspect the buyout story is being floated to get Dion to open up that 12 team trade list of his. 

We'd maybe have to add a bit, but the 10th + prospect for the 5th and Phaneuf could be a thing if LA is desperate enough and thinks Byram will be gone by 5. 

Are we getting that much better chance of drafting a difference maker at 5 than at 10?  Seider or Broberg at 10 could certainly become more impactful players that whomever goes 5.  

10 minutes ago, Monkeyking said:

Better off with La buying him off , we can sign him if elder doesnt want to sign cheap with the team . If u compare elder to phaneuf , they r about the same player both play on pp/pk , similar age , both can move the puck well and only reason why his production was bad last season of willie ....(not the best coach )

The only thing different phaneuf is a bit older , but more of a physical player then edler is.

Phaneuf offseason signing after la buy him out 2y x 2-3m

Elder 2-3y x 5-7m with a protection contract 

Which would u choice 

Edler might be an aging yacht, but Pha9 is a dilapidated tugboat.

I always had this ex-Flamer pegged as some obnoxious dork. He seemed to take some well-earned pot-shots from our site. But then something happened..well, 2 things.

I really liked how he humbly helped lead that unlikely Sens run. Even better, when Dorsett retired, Pha9 showed a lot of respect to an old jr adversary. Things come full-circle, & I'd bet today many CDC'ers would enjoy having a beer with the guy.

Mobility is prob shot..but I'd call him a hard-nosed vet who loves the game.

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Datsyuk got Arizona Chychrun (?sp)

Appreciate the debate - consensus seems to be we have no interest in him and there's no incentive to take on his contract. Figured I'd post it and have some discussion to hopefully nip all the Phaneuf proposals in the bud now

9 minutes ago, mpt said:

Datsyuk got Arizona Chychrun (?sp)

and Detroit got 20th overall (Cholowski) and 53rd overall (Hronek).  

Hronek looked incredible at the worlds - was voted the best defenceman of the tournament and made the all-star team as a 21 year old D.   He had 23 points in 46 games for Detroit this season.

Archived