The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-TOR (Weaponizing Cap Space)

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yes, of course there is! All sporting fans are regionally-myopic maniacs..but at least we don't push it on a National scale! :^)

Well, I'd argue that if TSN was based out of Vancouver and not Toronto we'd probably be doing exactly that. lol

Yes we’d be helping TO out but I highly doubt another team will get a better deal and if Benning can get a second for Marleau and nothing else back he should do it.   Who cares that it helps their cap woahs...it’s about the return which isn’t too shabby.  It’s only one year and you never know there could be interest for him at the TDL too.  Somebodies going to add with a deal like this, might as well be us.

• Upvote 1

canucks take on horton, marleau, and kadri (so long as the horton contract is mostly insured)

toronto gets ericksson and spooner

canucks then can always flip kadri or sutter for a better winger or dman asset

Edited by coastal.view

58 minutes ago, bree2 said:

too old, we are trying to get younger

Only one year left on his contract and if Toronto added 2nd rounder in 2019 and 3rd rounder 2020 deal would be okay..Another option is a youn D man in there system..they have some decent D men under 24...Like Dermott..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Toronto doesn't have much in the way of prospects outside of Sandin.  Kapanen would be a decent value.  Otherwise, it should cost the Leafs their next 2 2nds.

I actually kind of like this idea, thats some real value for taking on a guy thats probably still capable of scoring 20 goals with Petey. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jaku said:

I'd want Kapanen coming back. If they want/need to move the contract they're going to have to pay for it. Kapanen would be a beauty of an addition to Bo's wing. Makes sense for the Canucks. 

exactly what I was just typing ::D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

canucks take on horton, marleau, and kadri (so long as the horton contract is mostly insured)

toronto gets ericksson and spooner

canucks then can always flip kadri or sutter for a better winger or dman asset

That’s not a great deal for Toronto. Take Horton out of the equation as his cap hit doesn’t count once the season starts.  That means Toronto  arguably give up the 2 best players (Kadri is definitely the best player in the deal.  Marleau is arguably the 2nd best).  They really only save about $1.5 m in cap and downgrade their team 

27 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That’s not a great deal for Toronto. Take Horton out of the equation as his cap hit doesn’t count once the season starts.  That means Toronto  arguably give up the 2 best players (Kadri is definitely the best player in the deal.  Marleau is arguably the 2nd best).  They really only save about $1.5 m in cap and downgrade their team 

it gives them almost 7 million in immediate cap space

what do you think that is worth then ?

it's not intended to be a great trade for laffs in terms of players

it is a reasonable exchange of extra cap space for them

for extra player talent for the canucks...

marleau will only play 1 year and is nearing the end of his career

Edited by coastal.view

34 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

sounds good to me.. 

so that's settled then?  :bigblush:

Some of the posters are asking for a lot just to take on Marleaus cap dump.. like top young players. Kapanen  or Dermott  or multiple picks??  Not in a million years it costs anything near that.

Even the OPs proposal of a 2nd is too much.  But at least it's not outlandish.

Reason being.. 

Marleaus salary is only 1.25 mill next year. A team like COL or ARZ would take him to have a veteran like him in the locker room just to help the kids grow. 

Salary cap is not an issue for many teams. Especially COL or AZ. 

He'd be perfect in COL imo and have a chance at a deep run next playoffs. 

July 1st Leafs owe Marleau 3 mill signing bonus. They'll pay that and trade him. After that his salary is only 1.25 mill.

I'd say a 4th or 5th round pick and/or a 2nd tier prospect is all it costs to move him. 

It's not a huge deal. 

I've said this would happen for the last 2 years. Not hard to predict after looking at his contract. 

Edited by WHL rocks

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Some of the posters are asking for a lot just to take on Marleaus cap dump.. like top young players. Kapanen  or Dermott  or multiple picks??  Not in a million years it costs anything near that.

Reason being.. 

Marleaus salary is only 1.25 mill next year. A team like COL or ARZ would take him to have a veteran like him in the locker room just to help the kids grow. 

July 1st Leafs owe Marleau 3 mill signing bonus. They'll pay that and trade him. After that his salary is only 1.25 mill.

I'd say a 4th or 5th round pick and/or a 2nd tier prospect is all it costs to move him. 

It's not a huge deal. 

I've said this would happen for the last 2 years. Not hard to predict after looking at his contract. 

I understand that many teams can easily afford Marleau's contract but it's more than that. This is a big favour we are doing for Toronto which is basically allowing them to resign Marner and their other RFAs. It should cost a lot for them.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Reason being.. 

It's not a huge deal. 

May well be true..but then one hitch might be an offer sheet. I heard Marner's camp is waiting until June 26th, then he can talk with suitors? The Fleas are cutting this close.

Their RhD side have mostly never tried shaving yet.

Team's a Jenga Tower, & Dubas is shakin' like a Leaf!

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Reason being.. 

It's not a huge deal. 

Good summary.  With his actual amount being that low and a higher cap for 1 year his value is likely neutral.  Pure giveaway with nothing added nothing taken back.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, this is what I mean by there being a bias here just as much as with Toronto. I read the OP's post and kind of sighed as it's a really expensive offer for Toronto just to get Marleau off the books even though Marleau still has value despite his cap hit and, even with his cap, it's only 1 year. A developing team with the cap could benefit from his, like us!

So, because we ALSO benefit from Marleau's contract alone, a 2nd's going to be too much. Dubas isn't an idiot afterall, although the way some of these proposals are, you guys seem pretty convinced he is. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, this is what I mean by there being a bias here just as much as with Toronto. I read the OP's post and kind of sighed as it's a really expensive offer for Toronto just to get Marleau off the books even though Marleau still has value despite his cap hit and, even with his cap, it's only 1 year. A developing team with the cap could benefit from his, like us!

So, because we ALSO benefit from Marleau's contract alone, a 2nd's going to be too much. Dubas isn't an idiot afterall, although the way some of these proposals are, you guys seem pretty convinced he is. lol

Toronto has to get rid of cap space and this might be the easiest way to do so. If Toronto wants to resign Marner they're going to have to make room so teams know that and will take advantage. It's the other GMs in the driver's seat, not Dubas.

Edited by NuckForReal!!!

4 minutes ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

Toronto has to get rid of cap space and this might be the easiest way to do so. If Toronto wants to resign Marner they're going to have to make room so teams know that and will take advantage. It's the other GMs in the driver's seat, not Dubas.

It would be the more expensive way for them to do so. It would be only easy because it's expensive since there are likely many cheaper paths for Dubas to take and he would likely keep his 2nd rounder in doing so. He might even keep all of his picks!

It's not the other GM in the driver's seat if there is more than one team who would be interested in Marleau, which is a more likely scenario in my opinion. It's naive at best to think we're the only option for Dubas to be dealing with when there are 29 other teams and other players on Dubas' roster. If it's our driver's seat the car that completes the deal is missing.

Edited by The Lock

14 minutes ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

I understand that many teams can easily afford Marleau's contract but it's more than that. This is a big favour we are doing for Toronto which is basically allowing them to resign Marner and their other RFAs. It should cost a lot for them.

We are not the only other team in the league. They don't need a favour from us.  

Actually the favour would be to us if they gave us Kapanen or a 2nd rounder to take Marleau. 

They can trade him to a number of teams for nothing close to that. 

Datsyuk went to AZ as a cap dump. His cap hit was 7.5 million 3 years ago. So like 8.5 mill today. 

It cost DET the 16th overall for AZ 20th 53rd over all + Joe Vitale. 

So AZ took on Datsyuks 7.5 mill cap hit to to move up 4 spots in a draft AND they gave up the 2nd round pick to move up. 

What if Datsyuk wasn't involved. Just to move up 4 spots they would give up pretty close to what they gave up. Maybe the same package even. AZ has lots of cap space. No issue to take on Marleaus contract what so ever. 

Marleau might just retire after the trade. Then AZ wouldn't even have to pay his 1.25  mill salary. They get a extra late round pick for nothing. Why wouldn't they do that

I don't think Dubas needs JB to do any favours for hi. with Marleau. 

Maybe something else later but not with this.