The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jets trade Kevin Hayes to Flyers for 2019 5th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Rentals are the worst. Winnipeg gave up a lot to get him, only to see him walk. Yikes. Imagine if that was JB. 

He served his purpose :) 

Now, under his old coach (me), he will sign and do great things in Philadelphia.

4 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

i wondered why the price was so low...   

It’s his UFA rights that’s why, which gives the Flyers time before July.1 to negotiate a contract with him before every other team is allowed to as well.

...Canucks should do the same with Karlsson or Panarin imo. Looks like they’ll heavily attempt to go after at least of one them. It would be smart business if we could get one of their rights for let’s say a 3rd if it ensures we get the jump and are able to sign him before Free Agency. 

4 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

...Canucks should do the same with Karlsson or Panarin imo. Looks like they’ll heavily attempt to go after at least of one them. It would be smart business if we could get one of their rights for let’s say a 3rd if it ensures we get the jump and are able to sign him before Free Agency. 

Absolutely no way I'd give up a 3rd just for negotiating rights. 

Both these guys will undoubtedly be seeking max (or close to max) contracts in term/dollars/clauses - every GM already knows this so you're not going to be leveraging any kind of negotiating advantage imo.

We aren't in possession of numerous superfluous picks that we can be handing them over for a 'chance' at signing guys.

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Absolutely no way I'd give up a 3rd just for negotiating rights. 

Both these guys will undoubtedly be seeking max (or close to max) contracts in term/dollars/clauses - every GM already knows this so you're not going to be leveraging any kind of negotiating advantage imo.

We aren't in possession of numerous superfluous picks that we can be handing them over for a 'chance' at signing guys.

I’d rather a “chance” at securing one of the those guys than a “chance” at a 3rd round crapshoot pick in this instance.

...you just answered your own question. Like you said they’ll be getting close to top dollars regardless of where they go and multiple teams will be willing to offer that. So why not take the “chance” to get a head start in negotiations to get the player to commit and not even bother with Free Agency? Management101.

Archived