The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks all in for Jason Zucker

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Thank goodness! My son showed me the posting from SN on Instagram, I immediately freaked out.

I must have a latent fear that the Canucks might do something really stupid in the coming months.

My heart rate is almost back to normal and I’m resting comfortably.

Might even be time for a wee glass of scotch.

Junior has been dispatched to his room for a time out.

;)

haha i seen that post you are talking about its knock off SN account, Have good fathers day bud!

• Cheers 3

On 6/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

You don’t seem to remember that in his first three years with Vancouver Neely looked a lot like Jake and in his last year actually had fewer goals than Jake and was a -29. Jake’s problem is not getting to the net, he had the third most shots on net behind only Horvat and Boeser - more than Pettersson, and that is with virtually no PP time. As for Jake not being comparable in hits, only Motte had more hits on his team, and I’m confident that the opposition was more concerned about being hit by Jake than by Motte (no negative implied on Motte, he can’t help that Jake outweighs him by 30 pounds).

i think you are thinking only of the mature Neely, not the kid that played in Vancouver, but the beast that finished turning into a man in Boston... after we gave up on him.  There are no guarantees in player development, but we would look doubly stupid to repeat our experience of Neely.

I still disagree with you on this one. You said it yourself, his problem is he doesn't go to the net. He is a big body perimeter player, and for him to realize his potential, he will need to drive the net and go to the dirty areas to score. Like I mentioned before, look at Neely's and his stat lines for the first four years and you will see that Neely has a bunch of PIMs from mucking it up hitting and fighting, and Jake doesn't bring that as of yet. If a power forward prospect isn't scoring goals then he will need to be making more of an impact on the ice in other areas (ie: physicality), and Jake doesn't show that. 

JV has the speed and the tools, but the main thing that separates him from Neely is that Neely had a mean streak and drive, but I don't see that from JV and I wish that wasn't the case because I want to see the local kid do well.

On 6/5/2019 at 10:44 PM, Alain Vigneault said:

Virtanen + Juolevi + 10 for Zucker.  Book it.

This won't end like y'all think it will end.

If that's the deal for Zucker, JB should be fired. I think JB is smarter than you think.

On 6/17/2019 at 10:56 AM, Ohthehumanity said:

I still disagree with you on this one. You said it yourself, his problem is he doesn't go to the net. He is a big body perimeter player, and for him to realize his potential, he will need to drive the net and go to the dirty areas to score. Like I mentioned before, look at Neely's and his stat lines for the first four years and you will see that Neely has a bunch of PIMs from mucking it up hitting and fighting, and Jake doesn't bring that as of yet. If a power forward prospect isn't scoring goals then he will need to be making more of an impact on the ice in other areas (ie: physicality), and Jake doesn't show that. 

JV has the speed and the tools, but the main thing that separates him from Neely is that Neely had a mean streak and drive, but I don't see that from JV and I wish that wasn't the case because I want to see the local kid do well.

Don't put your words in my mouth. I never said that "...his problem is that he doesn't go to the net", that is what YOU said. I disagree with that entirely, and he is not a perimeter player. Third most shots on goal with hardly any PP time. Jake hits but doesn't fight - the NHL has changed entirely since Neely's time... perhaps you never noticed? As i pointed out, Virtanen also had the second most hits on the team topped only by Motte, and there is a big difference between being hit by Virtanen than by Motte. Neely was not a power forward stud until he got out of a pathetic Vancouver team onto a much stronger Boston team that included Bourque, Middleton, McCarthy, Crowder, Linseman, and Simmer - it helps to have someone to play with - for Jake, having Sutter as your centre is really not going to help your offence - also, it Neely's also his fourth season in the NHL before he bloomed offensively - the coming year will be Jake's fourth year in the NHL. Jake had more goals in his third year than Neely had in his third. You are premature in your judgement on Jake. If Gaudette develops this year, Jake may have someone to play with that can aid his offence, we'll see.

• Upvote 1

I’m an airline pilot at YVR and the Minnesota Wild jet came early.  Also could just be here for the draft but I thought kind of interesting.

#speculation #business #makinadeal #zucker

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Don't put your words in my mouth. I never said that "...his problem is that he doesn't go to the net", that is what YOU said. I disagree with that entirely, and he is not a perimeter player. Third most shots on goal with hardly any PP time. Jake hits but doesn't fight - the NHL has changed entirely since Neely's time... perhaps you never noticed? As i pointed out, Virtanen also had the second most hits on the team topped only by Motte, and there is a big difference between being hit by Virtanen than by Motte. Neely was not a power forward stud until he got out of a pathetic Vancouver team onto a much stronger Boston team that included Bourque, Middleton, McCarthy, Crowder, Linseman, and Simmer - it helps to have someone to play with - for Jake, having Sutter as your centre is really not going to help your offence - also, it Neely's also his fourth season in the NHL before he bloomed offensively - the coming year will be Jake's fourth year in the NHL. Jake had more goals in his third year than Neely had in his third. You are premature in your judgement on Jake. If Gaudette develops this year, Jake may have someone to play with that can aid his offence, we'll see.

While it is always nice to point out the late blooming power forwards, it is not really very reasonable to compare players from two generations ago.  In those days guys barely worked out in the offseason and didn't have the same kind of physical development in junior. 

Kids in elite sport programs now learn about training and nutrition from a very young age.  They are very much professional athletes from 14.  The physical development is much further along at 18 than it often was well into the 20s back when Neely was playing.  

Bertuzzi and Neely are not great comparables.  They were beasts of men.  Jake really isn't that big.  He plays a physical game and skates beautifully.  He has a decent shot but not great hockey sense and passing.  I suspect Jake is getting close to his offensive potential, this is still a very useful player that is built for the playoffs.  Keep in mind his goal scoring is on par with Ferland at this time and we are talking about him as a top 6 winger.  If Jake can increase his physical game he can be a better player than Ferland, and I think that would be a decent goal to start instead of comparing him to arguably the best pure power forward of all time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

While it is always nice to point out the late blooming power forwards, it is not really very reasonable to compare players from two generations ago.  In those days guys barely worked out in the offseason and didn't have the same kind of physical development in junior. 

Kids in elite sport programs now learn about training and nutrition from a very young age.  They are very much professional athletes from 14.  The physical development is much further along at 18 than it often was well into the 20s back when Neely was playing.  

Bertuzzi and Neely are not great comparables.  They were beasts of men.  Jake really isn't that big.  He plays a physical game and skates beautifully.  He has a decent shot but not great hockey sense and passing.  I suspect Jake is getting close to his offensive potential, this is still a very useful player that is built for the playoffs.  Keep in mind his goal scoring is on par with Ferland at this time and we are talking about him as a top 6 winger.  If Jake can increase his physical game he can be a better player than Ferland, and I think that would be a decent goal to start instead of comparing him to arguably the best pure power forward of all time.

Ferland is, and will likely remain, better than Virtanen. 

Jake’s potential and ceiling is exactly that of a Firkland, minus the fists, IMO.

From your comments, I can only assume that you haven’t watched much of Firkland, so this season should provide us with more than enough opportunity to revisit this.

I agree with your assessment of JV and everything else you noted here, except for the suggestion that if/but JV can be a better player than Firkland. Jake will have to have a puck of a lot go right for him in consecutive seasons to be considered on par, let alone a better all-around player than Firkland, and that’s nothing against Jake either. 

I just hope Firkland doesn’t break his hand trying to impress his new team and fans and just plays playoff hockey as soon as the puck drops. We need a healthy roster all year! 

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

jake really is that big. I saw him walking down Robson one time. I was really surprised at how big he is. beefy boy indeed.

players bounce off of virtanen with regularity. I can think think of multiple times people have tried to hit virtanen and have ended up receiving the worst of it. he seems to have a very solid body composition. 

Edited by Yung1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/16/2019 at 12:28 PM, PistolPete13 said:

Thank goodness! My son showed me the posting from SN on Instagram, I immediately freaked out.

I must have a latent fear that the Canucks might do something really stupid in the coming months.

My heart rate is almost back to normal and I’m resting comfortably.

Might even be time for a wee glass of scotch.

Junior has been dispatched to his room for a time out.

;)

Scotchy, scotch, scotch..

16 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

jake really is that big. I saw him walking down Robson one time. I was really surprised at how big he is. beefy boy indeed.

players bounce off of virtanen with regularity. I can think think of multiple times people have tried to hit virtanen and have ended up receiving the worst of it. he seems to have a very solid body composition. 

He doesn't have really long legs, so has a lower center of gravity. Big part of hitting.

59 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Ferland is, and will likely remain, better than Virtanen. 

Jake’s potential and ceiling is exactly that of a Firkland, minus the fists, IMO.

From your comments, I can only assume that you haven’t watched much of Firkland, so this season should provide us with more than enough opportunity to revisit this.

I agree with your assessment of JV and everything else you noted here, except for the suggestion that if/but JV can be a better player than Firkland. Jake will have to have a puck of a lot go right for him in consecutive seasons to be considered on par, let alone a better all-around player than Firkland, and that’s nothing against Jake either. 

I just hope Firkland doesn’t break his hand trying to impress his new team and fans and just plays playoff hockey as soon as the puck drops. We need a healthy roster all year! 

Wasn't criticizing Ferland just saying from a goal scoring perspective Jake is already approaching Ferland's peak.  Jake's game can grow more and hopefully incorporate more of what Ferland brings.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Wasn't criticizing Ferland just saying from a goal scoring perspective Jake is already approaching Ferland's peak.  Jake's game can grow more and hopefully incorporate more of what Ferland brings.

Huh? That isn't even a little bit correct. Jake's max was 15 goals last year and Ferland's peak was 21.  That means at Ferland's peak he scored 33% more goals than Jake at his peak. So no Jake has not yet approached Ferland's peak.

Regardless, hopefully Ferland scores even more playing with either Petey or Bo and as you stated, hopefully Jake brings his game to a new level this year also. We need both of them to have good years for this team to have a shot at the playoffs.

Virtanen

virtanen.PNG.4017d700f5011df1cb3c858f486e828b.PNG

Ferland

ferland.PNG.41c0c5000bb5ec56e38d3ab0c5956f58.PNG

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1