The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks all in for Jason Zucker

Zucker is a heck of a player.  He'll get 30+ with EP. Drives play. Great possession player finds open ice gets to front of net. He's exactly what this team needs.

MIN has the 12th overall.  Maybe they flip picks as part of package.  

Virtanen 10th Hutton for Zucker plus 12th. 

I don't want to give up on Virtanen. But for Benning going into last year of his contract he's under pressure to make playoffs.

Zucker in top 6 helps a lot towards making playoffs.  

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Zucker is a heck of a player.  He'll get 30+ with EP. Drives play. Great possession player finds open ice gets to front of net. He's exactly what this team needs.

I don't want to give up on Virtanen. But for Benning going into last year of his contract he's under pressure to make playoffs.

Paul Fenton laughs and hangs up the phone when he hears that proposal

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

he got over 30 goals 1 time in his whole nhl career ..    that is such a huge overpayment ..    

I'd rather get a HELL of a player for that much ..

point totals last 4 years  ....... 23 , 47, 64, 42 

Edited by Lulover88
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Contract and player are fine, but I think we are all balking at the costs that are reported.  I would take him on waivers all the way up to a 2nd round pick, but not much above.

Yeah, basically every single proposal is a price I'm not happy with.  No picks/prospect Minnesota's way.  Baer and Goldy or they can find another partner.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Would love Zucker but but it would suck to give up Virtanen in the deal. I think he still has a couple years of upside in him and he's 4.5 years younger. Alas, you have to give to get but would prefer not to give up a 22 year old for a 27 year old. Zucker himself didn't really break out until he was 24/25 years old. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

All I'm going to say is this:  If the price is as cheap as many of you believe it to be, this would trade would have happened already.

The guy is a solid, NHL calibre athlete and shot. Can score when the game is flying on around him.

But he's still a secondary player. 

Zucker also would equally already have been traded for a premium if he was worth it.

He was going to do what James Neal was not in Calgary was the rumour I heard. That's a good place for him. Probably would have done great in Pitt?  A substantial amount of the value in that transaction was taking on Kessel's monumental arse contract.  I might be being harsh?  He can play, when he is played with good talent. A hired gun.

If anything, bargain bin Jim, has a history of jumping in on secondary talent. And trying to resurrect it. See Pearson, and Gudbrandson, for that matter, Baer, Granlund.

If anything, that Jim is in on Zucker, would suggest Minnesota is already not getting what they want.

Minnesota needs a depth D men. Awesome top 4 in Minny, dead thereafter. Part of the conversation should include what Minny actually needs in a deal. They need D!

A two piece offer of Baertschi, and Hutton? Baer is Zucker lite. Would give them a 3rd pair PMD, which they desperately need. And some cap relief. No matter how you slice it? With what they pay Suter & Parise? Baer a guy that can tide them over on the 2knd line until their Russian wonder kid, and Kunin arrive. If they can more directly get a legit 2knd pair D for Zucker?

Good on em'.   Trade him to Toronto for Zaitsev.

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, basically every single proposal is a price I'm not happy with.  No picks/prospect Minnesota's way.  Baer and Goldy or they can find another partner.

The rumored offer by Minnesota of Zucker for Boeser was an insult. F them.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Would rather see if we could sign Dzingel or even Eberle costing us no assets. Or trade LE for Bobby Ryan. 

I've seen this a couple times today (can't remember if it was you?). I'd be totally in to that (presumably after July 1) deal.

10 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Would love Zucker but but it would suck to give up Virtanen in the deal. I think he still has a couple years of upside in him and he's 4.5 years younger. Alas, you have to give to get but would prefer not to give up a 22 year old for a 27 year old. Zucker himself didn't really break out until he was 24/25 years old. 

Exactly and his breakout wasn’t sustainable.  He is also 3 years away from the start of the decline most likely.  

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

The rumored offer by Minnesota of Zucker for Boeser was an insult. F them.

Yeah that is immediate hang up territory. To me Boeser is relatively untouchable but for the sake of argument do you trade him for Zucker AND their 12th overall (Broberg, Newhook etc).

I still wouldn’t but that would be more like it.

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah that is immediate hang up territory. To me Boeser is relatively untouchable but for the sake of argument do you trade him for Zucker AND their 12th overall (Broberg, Newhook etc).

Not even close for someone of Boeser's quality.  I'd hang up and block the number.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Fenton to bend Benning over because he knows Jim is desperate to make playoffs to save his job?  I think yes.

Wouldn't be surprised if we threw in #10 to land him.

What a useful post.  :picard:

Edit: Min GM.....worse than Benning by far...look at his trades...sheesh. He should barely be a TimBits team GM never mind in the NHL.  :frantic:

Edited by Kanukfanatic

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I've seen this a couple times today (can't remember if it was you?). I'd be totally in to that (presumably after July 1) deal.

It was brought up today by someone but I have suggested it in the past. It makes sense for both sides.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I wouldn't. But that is interesting. 

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

I like Zucker a lot.  Good speed. Tenacious. Can put up 60ish points. I’d guess something along the lines of Virtanen + Juolevi...  but idk if I’d do that. 

He put up 60 points once.....ONCE.

Pass...no chance in hell OJ should be traded for this mediocre middle six winger.  :picard:

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Apparently multiple offers have been on the table for Zucker, yet a deal hasn't been made. The offer(s) from JB are probably low. 

Zucker for Hutton straight up or walk.

There's also been multiple offers of Fenton offering Zucker to different teams but no takers, including the one where he tried to obtain Boeser in exchange.

It's just GMs doing work they are paid to do.

Zucker is not a bad player at all - but it depends on what the return is.