Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN-TOR


Recommended Posts

Tanev

Baertschi

10th

 

For

 

Nylander 

2020 unprotected 1st

 

 

Nylander Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Sutter

Pearson Gaudette Motte 

Roussel Beagle Granlund/Eriksson

 

Hughes Schenn

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton UFA 

 

That's next year. 3 years later...

 

Nylander Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Lind

XXXXXX Gaudette XXXXXX

Gadjovich McEwen XXXXXX 

 

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Woo

Hutton Stecher

 

Demko

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Tanev

Baertschi

10th

 

For

 

Nylander 

2020 unprotected 1st

 

 

Nylander Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Sutter

Pearson Gaudette Motte 

Roussel Beagle Granlund/Eriksson

 

Hughes Schenn

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton UFA 

 

That's next year. 3 years later...

 

Nylander Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Lind

XXXXXX Gaudette XXXXXX

Gadjovich McEwen XXXXXX 

 

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Woo

Hutton Stecher

 

Demko

 

I like where your going with this but TO is taking back too much cap.  They know they can play well without Nylander as they did all last year so adding Bear isn’t needed, instead I’d be they’d want Lind or one of our better prospects...and take Zaitsev off their hands, Marleau maybe if he’d waive.  I’d do this trade in an instant though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might be their counter:

 

Tanev 50% retained

Tenth overall

JV

Next years second

B level prospect (Lind)

 

Nylander

Marleau if he’d waive  

Zaitsev

Next years second 

 

Wed have to pay for Nylander and Zaitsev.   The cost for Zaitsev is Tanev and 50% retained and swapping picks.  The cost of Nylander is the 10th, JV and a cap dump.   Lind is the prospect they’d also ask for to even the trade out in their eyes as we end up with the better players really...they get good but not great players and all the cap space they need to sign Marner, Johsson, Kapanen and replace Gardiner.   Plus they get a Boldy or Broberg out of the deal too...sure you still want to do it?

 

 

Edit:  the swap of picks quite likely would mean they only move down 10-15 spots on their first pick of the year...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hosting the draft? You ADD picks, not sell them off.

That said Benning would take this deal 10 out of 10 times.   He’d add a player that he won’t have to wait two or three years to make an impact in our lineup, and that would slide in perfectly on our first line, and who’s age lines up very well with our current core.   And is adding a first next year in what’s starting to look like a better draft.    Slim chances our 10th becomes a Nylander or better...sure we are hosting the draft, but it’s still making a big splash isn’t it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That said Benning would take this deal 10 out of 10 times.   He’d add a player that he won’t have to wait two or three years to make an impact in our lineup, and that would slide in perfectly on our first line, and who’s age lines up very well with our current core.   And is adding a first next year in what’s starting to look like a better draft.    Slim chances our 10th becomes a Nylander or better...sure we are hosting the draft, but it’s still making a big splash isn’t it?

Just not much of a Nylander fan, I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a lot of fun poking at how soft Nylander is, entitled as so forth on this site...yet he plays on the side we are week on, can play center and is getting pretty good at draws, and manages most of his points at even strength with little to no quality PP time (15-16 mins a game).   That’s elite production BTW, not much different than OVI and a lot of stars that feast on the PP.  After the WC (yes I know it’s bigger ice, but none of the Canadian stars managed close to what Nylander did)  I’m sold on him as a player that can do things when it matters, and that if given the opportunity he could flourish.   Like on a line with EP and Boeser.   Who’d you rather have Zucker for a cost (JV plus plus likely) and our 10th who won’t be playing for two years and then a few more to get going (Horvats contract is up by then) OR Nylander and JV but not Tanev and Boldy?  I’d know what I’d like...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just not much of a Nylander fan, I guess.

I wasn’t either and made a point in the past to poke fun at both his contract as a major handcuff with what they also had to sign, and how bad they suddenly were once he was back (and on their third line to boot).  

 

However their late season demise had a lot more to do with Gardiner (their Edler, can’t win without him in the lineup plus major goat and whipping boy) injury and their exposed defense.   Nylander isn’t a complete player by any means...but I’d welcome him if at all costs is Bear, Tanev and switching firsts this year and next year.   I did a reply with what I feel the counteroffer would be, and I’d still consider it.  

 

Whatever team takes advantage of TOs cap issues is going to come out a winner (actually they will both win), might as well be us..

 

Can say that I’m way more excited about that then the possibility of adding Zucker at a cost that might not be as pallatable (like our 10th or Boeser and we add a defenseman or some garbage).. but I get the dislike...I was their too until his WC performance which changed my mind about him completely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How does this help Toronto?

 

Their window is now....10th overall is not what they need.  Neither is two injury-prone players when they are most likely bound to butt head with the Bruins in the playoffs again.

 

They can do much better if they want to trade Nylander.  I know it's a favorite pass time on CDC to bash on the Leafs, but I fully expect Nylander to be better next year.  This was an down year for a guy that held out and started his season when NHL teams were hitting their stride.  I fully expect him to be another 60+ pts player next year again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

How does this help Toronto?

 

Their window is now....10th overall is not what they need.  Neither is two injury-prone players when they are most likely bound to butt head with the Bruins in the playoffs again.

 

They can do much better if they want to trade Nylander.  I know it's a favorite pass time on CDC to bash on the Leafs, but I fully expect Nylander to be better next year.  This was an down year for a guy that held out and started his season when NHL teams were hitting their stride.  I fully expect him to be another 60+ pts player next year again

Makes sense...but they can’t keep everyone and something has to give.  Kapanen and Johnsson can be signed at team friendly deals too...maybe a Kadri is out ... or Marleau if they can get him to waive....also losing Gardiner..and need to replace him with a cheaper option and we could trade Hutton to alleviate.   As far as the 10th goes that’s a chip they can use now and draft someone or trade if they want.  They will need cheaper guys later too, nothing wrong with planning ahead.   What’s suggested may or may not work for them, but it’s an option nonetheless and not every team can do that..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Makes sense...but they can’t keep everyone and something has to give.  Kapanen and Johnsson can be signed at team friendly deals too...maybe a Kadri is out ... or Marleau if they can get him to waive....also losing Gardiner..and need to replace him with a cheaper option and we could trade Hutton to alleviate.   As far as the 10th goes that’s a chip they can use now and draft someone or trade if they want.  They will need cheaper guys later too, nothing wrong with planning ahead.   What’s suggested may or may not work for them, but it’s an option nonetheless and not every team can do that..

Can't argue against that...but I just think if they were to trade Nylander, it would be a Johansen/Jones type of deal for a defenseman to replace Gardiner without having to go on the UFA market to replace him.  They can afford to lose Nylander up front without hurting them.

 

I just don't think they will trade him for spare parts like suggested.  I know the 10th overall has a lot of value, but teams rarely trade top 10 first rounder immediately.  So they would have to trade Nylander and turn around and trade the 10th right away before the draft.  Just too complicated IMO.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

There is a lot of fun poking at how soft Nylander is, entitled as so forth on this site...yet he plays on the side we are week on, can play center and is getting pretty good at draws, and manages most of his points at even strength with little to no quality PP time (15-16 mins a game).   That’s elite production BTW, not much different than OVI and a lot of stars that feast on the PP.  After the WC (yes I know it’s bigger ice, but none of the Canadian stars managed close to what Nylander did)  I’m sold on him as a player that can do things when it matters, and that if given the opportunity he could flourish.   Like on a line with EP and Boeser.   Who’d you rather have Zucker for a cost (JV plus plus likely) and our 10th who won’t be playing for two years and then a few more to get going (Horvats contract is up by then) OR Nylander and JV but not Tanev and Boldy?  I’d know what I’d like...

I think you're confusing Nylander with Kapanen guy. As for his ATOI, its barely behind Marner, try looking at more than this last season as its not reflective given he held out 1/2 the year and was used sparingly given how ineffective he was.

 

Nylander is on the first PP unit, and has been for all three of his last seasons. This year, yes he got most of his points ES but that's not the norm and he significantly underperformed stats wise relative to past years

 

2016-2017 70% of his goals, 77% of his assists were PP

2017-2018 25% of his goals, 20% of his assists were PP

2018-2019 16% of his goals, 33% of his assists were PP (this season was such a mess for him, its really not helpful to use as any sort of benchmark)

 

So he's like most guys who get first line pp time he's getting approx 20-25% of his points on the PP. In his first good year, he really only scored on the pp. Can he help our pp, yes, because guess what, he has open ice. Is he a guy who's going to help you win in the playoffs, hell know because he's not a competitor and he disappears when he can't play the pretty game on the outside with space. Hard pass

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think you're confusing Nylander with Kapanen guy. As for his ATOI, its barely behind Marner, try looking at more than this last season as its not reflective given he held out 1/2 the year and was used sparingly given how ineffective he was.

 

Nylander is on the first PP unit, and has been for all three of his last seasons. This year, yes he got most of his points ES but that's not the norm and he significantly underperformed stats wise relative to past years

 

2016-2017 70% of his goals, 77% of his assists were PP

2017-2018 25% of his goals, 20% of his assists were PP 

2018-2019 16% of his goals, 33% of his assists were PP (this season was such a mess for him, its really not helpful to use as any sort of benchmark)

 

So he's like most guys who get first line pp time he's getting approx 20-25% of his points on the PP. In his first good year, he really only scored on the pp. Can he help our pp, yes, because guess what, he has open ice. Is he a guy who's going to help you win in the playoffs, hell know because he's not a competitor and he disappears when he can't play the pretty game on the outside with space. Hard pass 

I think calling him a good ES scorer is more based on P/60 stats - he was 31st in ES P/60 in 2017-2018.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Can't argue against that...but I just think if they were to trade Nylander, it would be a Johansen/Jones type of deal for a defenseman to replace Gardiner without having to go on the UFA market to replace him.  They can afford to lose Nylander up front without hurting them.

 

I just don't think they will trade him for spare parts like suggested.  I know the 10th overall has a lot of value, but teams rarely trade top 10 first rounder immediately.  So they would have to trade Nylander and turn around and trade the 10th right away before the draft.  Just too complicated IMO.  

There some precedent for this...we traded Schneider (becuase our backs were also against the wall figuratively with a goalentfing controversy) who was at the time a young top five goalie for a ninth overall..you just never know..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've definitely warmed to Wee Willie, but we are not moving our 10 OA for him.  Considering his contract, and potential to actual be a buy out, his value is nowhere near that.

I say it's more like:

Tanev + Jake for Willie + Zaitsev.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hosting the draft? You ADD picks, not sell them off.

If you let hosting the draft dictate not doing a good hockey move, you are not a good professional hockey organization.    If the Canucks are offered way above value for any pick in any draft, hosting or otherwise, and they don't consider it seriously and pull the trigger if it makes hockey sense....then you should start to get a new management team and in a hurry.

 

Hypothetically - Minnesota offers Zucker and Dumba for Vancouver's 10th and some current player(s) not under 25 (Sutter and Hutton, for example).    If you say no to that you are not managing well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

If you let hosting the draft dictate not doing a good hockey move, you are not a good professional hockey organization.    If the Canucks are offered way above value for any pick in any draft, hosting or otherwise, and they don't consider it seriously and pull the trigger if it makes hockey sense....then you should start to get a new management team and in a hurry.

 

Hypothetically - Minnesota offers Zucker and Dumba for Vancouver's 10th and some current player(s) not under 25 (Sutter and Hutton, for example).    If you say no to that you are not managing well.

Yeah, that's a pretty reasonable assertion..IF a slam-dunk is offered up. Wouldn't put the OP in that category.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Tanev

Baertschi

10th

 

For

 

Nylander 

2020 unprotected 1st

 

 

Nylander Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Sutter

Pearson Gaudette Motte 

Roussel Beagle Granlund/Eriksson

 

Hughes Schenn

Juolevi Stecher

Hutton UFA 

 

That's next year. 3 years later...

 

Nylander Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Lind

XXXXXX Gaudette XXXXXX

Gadjovich McEwen XXXXXX 

 

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Woo

Hutton Stecher

 

Demko

 

Ummm no. Hate nylander...so soft and the contract is to big. No interest and certainly not going to give the 10th overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...