The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jack Roslovic

Pretty simple one here. Roslovic has asked to be traded throughout the 2019-2020 season. C/RW player. Ppg in the AHL, 9 goals in 77 NHL games last year despite playing under 10 mins a night. 22 yrs old. Canucks should be all over this guy. I’d say his value is just slightly higher than that if Virtanen’s, but since he’s requested a trade his value has been brought down a bit. Jets have cap problems so taking a bad contract might help in getting Roslovic. Maybe take Kulikov back and send them Hutton? Something like:

to WPG

virtanen

hutton

to Van

roslovic

Kulikov

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Higher than Virtanens? How? Why? 

1) Better numbers at every level at the same age. 

2) his development has seen him get better every year, whereas Virtanen’s has been more up and down. 

Theyre similar, but the edge goes to Roslovic imo. A year younger but better

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Pretty simple one here. Roslovic has asked to be traded throughout the 2019-2020 season. C/RW player. Ppg in the AHL, 9 goals in 77 NHL games last year despite playing under 10 mins a night. 22 yrs old. Canucks should be all over this guy. I’d say his value is just slightly higher than that if Virtanen’s, but since he’s requested a trade his value has been brought down a bit. Jets have cap problems so taking a bad contract might help in getting Roslovic. Maybe take Kulikov back and send them Hutton? Something like:

to WPG

virtanen

hutton

to Van

roslovic

Kulikov

I don't agree with this.  He's 22 and RFA without arbitration.  Jets have no rush to trade him, I don't think his value is affected.  If Canucks are jumping on this....so are the 29 other teams.  If there is multiple teams interested, Jets will have plenty of good offers.

But like I said in the report thread, 1st full NHL year and he's complaining about ice-time.   What does that say about him....#entitledcrybaby IMO.

Edited by timberz21

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I don't agree with this.  He's 22 and RFA without arbitration.  Jets have no rush to trade him, I don't think his value is affected.  If Canucks are jumping on this....so are the 29 other teams.  If there is multiple teams interested, Jets will have plenty of good offers.

But like I said in the report thread, 1st full NHL year and he's complaining about ice-time.   What does that say about him....#entitledcrybaby IMO.

He never asked to be traded. The information that was realesed was false. "While disappointed in his role, he never asked for a trade" Jets' Roslovic fires agent ahead of contract year
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1782249

Edited by Jaku
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

2) his development has seen him get better every year, whereas Virtanen’s has been more up and down. 

Hes had better numbers in the ahl. Thats about it. Are we scouting him for the comets or the canucks? I get he was buried in Winnipeg depth but those numbers suck. He had much better linemates than virtanen. Aside from those crap numbers what are we getting? Size? Nope. Speed? (I honestly dont know). 

Seems like a sideways move at best. If it were my choice I'd stick with virt.

• Cheers 1

Roslovic is nothing more than a project player at the moment. Perhaps he's stuck behind the depth, but he hasn't won a spot above the rest. He's the type of player you maybe give up a 2nd for and hope for the best (Baertschi) or it doesn't really work out the way you want (Vey). Virtanen is pretty much an NHLer, but the question is where is he going to be long term. There's as much potential for Virtanen to excel as Roslovic, so I don't see the point of the trade. Kulikov is a cap dump and Hutton IMO has more value. I personally wouldn't make the deal from the Canucks perspective and if I was Winnipeg I would jump all over it. A guy with Virtanen's size and speed will fit right in with their team.

18 minutes ago, Jaku said:

He never asked to be traded. The information that was realesed was false. "While disappointed in his role, he never asked for a trade" Jets' Roslovic fires agent ahead of contract year
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1782249

Thanks, that changes things then.

But I'm not sure why the Jets would trade him then.  With Hayes gone and possibly Tanev walking away...he's bound for a bigger role.

59 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

If he was better at every level at the same age then why was he drafted in the 20s and Virtanen at 5?

I do agree with the conclusion that he’s more valuable than Virtanen right now, but not how you get there.  He has more potential to turn out to be a better player.

21 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Hes had better numbers in the ahl. Thats about it. Are we scouting him for the comets or the canucks? I get he was buried in Winnipeg depth but those numbers suck. He had much better linemates than virtanen. Aside from those crap numbers what are we getting? Size? Nope. Speed? (I honestly dont know). 

Seems like a sideways move at best. If it were my choice I'd stick with virt.

Ppg numbers at age 20 in the AHL is extremely good and serves as a good predictor that he can become a scorer in the NHL. His number this year are similar if not better than Virtanen’s numbers in 2017-18. Not sure how his line mates are better when he was buried in the fourth line the whole year. Playing with Lowry and copp and Tanev is better than Jake playing along side bo and the sedins for part of his D+4 season? I understand Jake doesn’t get a ton of ice time either but he’s got more opportunity than roslovic but Roslovic as still out performed him offensively. You’re either missing the point on Roslovic or you’re over estimating Virtanen’s impact. 

6 minutes ago, mpt said:

If he was better at every level at the same age then why was he drafted in the 20s and Virtanen at 5?

I do agree with the conclusion that he’s more valuable than Virtanen right now, but not how you get there.  He has more potential to turn out to be a better player.

I said he’s outscored (in points) Virtanen at every level. I get that USHL and CHL numbers are hard to compare but he still had a much high point per game pace in his draft year compared to Jake. Jake was taken high because it looked like his game could translate well, but there were mock drafts at the time that had Jake way lower and mock drafts that had Roslovic higher in 2015. Looking at draft position means very little imo

51 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Ppg numbers at age 20 in the AHL is extremely good and serves as a good predictor that he can become a scorer in the NHL. His number this year are similar if not better than Virtanen’s numbers in 2017-18. Not sure how his line mates are better when he was buried in the fourth line the whole year. Playing with Lowry and copp and Tanev is better than Jake playing along side bo and the sedins for part of his D+4 season? I understand Jake doesn’t get a ton of ice time either but he’s got more opportunity than roslovic but Roslovic as still out performed him offensively. You’re either missing the point on Roslovic or you’re over estimating Virtanen’s impact. 

I said he’s outscored (in points) Virtanen at every level. I get that USHL and CHL numbers are hard to compare but he still had a much high point per game pace in his draft year compared to Jake. Jake was taken high because it looked like his game could translate well, but there were mock drafts at the time that had Jake way lower and mock drafts that had Roslovic higher in 2015. Looking at draft position means very little imo

Ahl offensive numbers are anything but good predictors for nhl success.  

You dont have to look any further than our own team for examples.

Horvat 0pts in 5 games

Goldobin 125 pts in 148 games 

Still not buying what your selling but it all seems moot now as the rumor was debunked.

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

I agree but there is more to a players value than his point ability.  Virtanen at that time showed that he could contribute in much more ways to the game and hence why he went that high.  Even though a guy like Iginla didn’t put up the same points as a lot scorers, he was more valuable than almost all of them.

4 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Goldobin had 45 points in 49 games in the AHL as a 20 year old. How's he doing now?

You're overstating Virtanen's linemates. Other than a small stretch with Bo or the Sedins, he was very often playing 3rd/4th line duties in a shutdown role.

I'm projecting at best that Roslovic may be in the Baertschi range where he peaks out around 40-50 points in a moderate top 6 role. Virtanen has the same potential, but adds his physical game and I'm going to assume Virtanen is quicker. Unless you think there is far more potential from Roslovic, then I can't see how even a straight swap would be reasonable let alone taking on a cap dump and giving up a respectable player in Hutton as well.