The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Would You Rather Keep?

Bobby James

Which Goalie?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone, 

I was just curious what people would choose here if they had to (thankfully the Canucks don't actually have to decide anything right now) - If one of our goalies were to be traded this year who would you rather it be? 

Markström had one of if not his best season this year and played like a solid starting goalie in the NHL. It was great to see that from him and he is 29 years old with a year left at 3.6 mil. 

Demko is our young hopeful. The Canucks organization have been really keen on him and I think many of us have looked at him as the future starter for the team (with hopes he'd one day be elite). He played well in the AHL his first 2 years and did fine last year although had some injury issues. He is 23 years old and has 2 years left at like 1 million.  

So my question is if we had to trade one this year who would you pick? Markström showed up this year and played great especially considering the D core in front of him. His contract is cheap and while due for a raise next season it (likely) won't be massive. Demko on the other hand has played 10 games with the Canucks and overall he has looked good I think. Some rougher games and nothing really mind blowing, but still a solid beginning for a younger guy. Their values are in interesting places, Markström would look great for a contender/playoff team with an affordable contract, especially if they are having goalie concerns/second guesses on their current starter. Demko on the other hand would be awesome for a re-builder and with a good start next season could get us a pretty good return. Has DiPietro become our top goalie prospect? Is Markström's age a factor?

Lemme know what you all think!

(Also if this topic has been made already please let me know and I'll close this)

Demko, EZ

He was virtually neck and neck in terms of stats with Markstrom and was actually the better goalie to close out the year.

The fact he’s already close to matching Markstrom’s numbers/averages when Markstrom just had his career year at age 29 this past season says it all. 

6 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Demko, EZ

He was virtually neck and neck in terms of stats with Markstrom and was actually the better goalie to close out the year.

The fact he’s already close to matching Markstrom’s numbers/averages when Markstrom just had his career year at age 29 this past season says it all. 

Yeah that is a fair point. If Demko can continue to improve and Markstrom has decent value this year maybe it is worth moving him at/before the deadline to a playoff team. 

What kind of value do you think these two goalies have currently? Could Markstrom get us a late first round pick or is that too hopeful?  

Just now, Bobby James said:

Would you rather the Canucks trade him this year or sign him for a couple more years while our younger goalies develop? 

Keep both and expose Marky.  Then if Seattle takes him, it's like a trade value of which of our other exposed players (Seattle didn't take) would be.  Could be a guy like Stecher or Gaudette value.  That's a good trade value for Marky.  

1 minute ago, Bobby James said:

Yeah that is a fair point. If Demko can continue to improve and Markstrom has decent value this year maybe it is worth moving him at/before the deadline to a playoff team. 

What kind of value do you think these two goalies have currently? Could Markstrom get us a late first round pick or is that too hopeful?  

Yea. No knock on Markstrom either, I absolutely love the guy. He’s an awesome locker room guy and a super nice person. It’s kind of unfortunate he found his stride this late into his career right as Demko is coming up. Business is business though and it only makes sense to move forward with Demko unless we get our socks blown off win an offer we’d be stupid to refuse :lol: 

...as for value, it really depends on the market. Goalie trades have been all over the map the past number of years and it really just depends on how desperate a team is. With the Seattle expansion draft looming, I’d assume teams are aware of the position the Canucks are in, in terms of goalies so we’re probably going to get less value than we otherwise would have gotten for Markstrom. 

Unless the Canucks are just kind enough to Markstrom to not trade him and expose him to Seattle. That way if he is taken by them, he stays close to Vancouver which he’s really come to love and call home :) 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Keep both and expose Marky.  Then if Seattle takes him, it's like a trade value of which of our other exposed players (Seattle didn't take) would be.  Could be a guy like Stecher or Gaudette value.  That's a good trade value for Marky.  

Yeah good points. Losing Marky at the expansion draft would be an okay outcome at that time. He'll be 32 or so and we'll have both Demko (who should be starting at that point) and DiPietro coming in to backup. 

Along those lines though if we are fine with losing Marky at that time, what about trading him now (if he has good value) signing an older vet to help take a good chunk of games for Demko and just betting it all on our young goalies turning out. 

Another possibility, if anyone believes DiPietro will be better than Demko though, maybe trading Demko now could get us a lot - then in a few years hopefully DiPietro will be ready to start and losing Marky in the draft will be fine. 

Markstrom is on the last year of his contract which ends with him being UFA.  I don't think he will be around by the time the expansion draft happens.

I could see the Canucks re-signing him for two years, possibly trade him in the second season.  This way, Demko can start taking more of the workload over the next couple years and move forward with Demko and DiPietro after the expansion draft.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Demko + 10 OA + Jake for 1st overall or second overall if Jersey takes Crappo?

I would not offer that... huge over payment for a first, and what if a first is a bust for some reason? Has happened before but then what do we have? The loss of a good up and coming goalie, our 10th pick, and a possible 20 goal scorer. That would not be good, too much risk imo

Looks like I'm in the extreme minority here but I would rather keep Markstrom.

Markstrom looked like a vezina caliber goalie from December on last season.  

Demko is an amazing prospect with huge potential BUT.  His injury history is worrisome.

Archived