The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks Trades and Signings

First of all, these forums are for fun, and Benning does not review this one or anyone else's proposals before he goes to work...…...or pulls the trigger on a trade or signing

So, with out further a due, here is my proposal from an earlier thread, which would be interesting, and combines several proposals...…...

#1. Trade...………...Brock Boeser + Mike DiPietro      to      Minni      for      Zucker, 2019 1st (12 OA) + 2020 2nd

#2. Trade...………..Jason Zucker + Sven Baertschi 50% retained     to      EDM       for      2019 1st (8th OA)* ( may need additional asset to acquire EDM 2019 1st)

#1. UFA...………….Artemi Panarin………………….6 years @ 11 M per           Premier LW, a Driver, a goal Scorer, excellent speed

#2. UFA...………….Ryan Dzingel…………………...6 years @ 6.5 M per          Versitle LW/C/RW, good hands, speed, 200 ft game

#3. UFA...………….Erik Karlsson…………………....6 years @ 10 M per           Premier RHD, High IQ, excellent speed, excellent first pass

2019 - 2020 Team Depth                                                                                                          Prospects

LW          Panarin                 Persson              Roussel            Schaller          $17.750M                            Lievo             Goldobin          Spooner         Gadjovich

C            Pettersson             Horvat                Gaudette           Beagle            $10.500M                            Granlund        Motte               Madden

RW         Dzingel                  Sutter                 Virtanen            Eriksson         $18.000M                           MacEwen       Lind                 Jasek              Lockwood

LHD        Hughes                 Edler                   Hutton              Juolevi            $11.000M                            Brisebois        Sautner            Rathbone        Teves  

RHD       Karlsson                Tanev                  Stecher            Schenn           $18.000M                            Woo                Tryamkin          Rafferty           Eliot

G            Markstrom            Demko                                                                  $5.000M                            Kielly

========

Total          $80,250M

2019 Vancouver Draft Picks

1st - 8th OA...…………………..Dach/Boldy/Krebs

1st - 10th OA...………………...Soderstrom/Seider

1st - 12th OA...…………………Newhook/Lavoie/Podkolzin

2nd - 40th OA...………………..Korczak/Honka/Thomson

3rd - 71st OA...………………...Best Goalie available

Additional Picks...…..4, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7...…………...………...…...……..These picks could be used to improve draft positions in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, albeit single digit moves

Now, yes it is a reach, to think 1st off, that we could sign 3 top UFA's, but it could happen, and yes it would be a reach to obtain those 2 extra firsts, but Boston had 3 1st in a row in 2015

which were (13, 14, and 15), and to manoeuvre into those spots took luck, but it is possible. These moves would set us up for years. Also of note, is the 2020 draft which is suppose to be a very strong draft, and which Vancouver would have picks up the Minnesota 2020 2nd . It would not be unreasonable to think we could have the following picks in 2020. In a very strong draft.

2020 -1st 18th OA

2020 - 2nd 40th OA

2020 - 2nd 47th OA

2020 - 3rd 80th OA

To me, this 2 year Overhaul plan, completes the rebuild, and with adding a possible 3 top end players, via the 2019 draft, along with 1 more, in the 2020 draft, the team is now, ready to move into the next decade, with a multitude of top end players. The loss of Boeser shocked the 2019 draft floor in Vancouver, and will keep Vancouver a buzz for years, but the assets added, plus the future core players, will keep Vancouver atop of the standings for along time...…….

Get the torch out!

I'd like the concept of grabbing a bunch of picks if Boeser wasn't being traded. 

So let's keep Boeser and figure out a way to get Zucker without Minny's 1st coming back, then feel free to flip him.

We'd still get 2x top ten picks AND we get to keep our best RWer.

I'd keep Zucker and Baer though, so there's that.

Okay so let me get this straight..

Out: Boeser, Baertschi, DiPietro, additional asset

In: 2019 8thOA, 2019 12thOA, 2020nd 

We are trading away Boeser - an NHL All-Star MVP, Calder finalist, a player who put up 0.88/0.81 PPG in his first two seasons ALONG with DiPietro, one of the games consistently top rated goalie prospects for a couple lottery tickets we can only hope pan out nearly as good. Not to mention a serviceable 2nd line NHL player and whatever additional asset. We know what we have in Boeser. Can you for sure say Boldy/Krebs/Dach/Soderstom/Seider are an upgrade? There isn't even a consensus pick from 4th-12th. 

The only way I would do a trade like this, if it were for a top 2 pick. The closest we could get to a sure thing. There's just way too much risk here for really no reason. 

Will not trade Boser future consistent 29-37 goals scorer only 22 yrs old future is so bright--- Dipietro added in this trade idea?

Canucks get Zucker 27  , 2019 12th pick, 2nd rd  2020

1.GP 51 - 21G - 26 Pts

2.GP 71-13 G  - 23 Pts

3 GP 79- 22 G -47 Pts

4.GP 82 - 33 G - 64 pts

5. GP 81 -21G - 43pts

Boser 22 

1. GP 9 - 4G -Pts 5

2. GP62- 29 G -55pts

3.GP 69 - 26 G - 56 pts

We don't trade Boser in Zucker trade...Hard to find pure goal scorers....

Virtanen, Dipietro,  2020 2nd rd pick ----- Zucker--- 1st rounder

6 hours ago, Pears said:

So we give up Boeser and DiPietro for Zucker, only to flip him in a package for Edmonton’s 1st? Yea that’s gonna be a very hard no. 

In essence we get

Dzingel + 2019 1st (8th) + 2019 1st (12th) + 2020 2nd

for

Boeser and DiPietro

That is a good haul

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

In essence we get

Dzingel + 2019 1st (8th) + 2019 1st (12th) + 2020 2nd

for

Boeser and DiPietro

That is a good haul

No, jan it isn't. Read my previous post.

Also we don't get Dzingel out of this. He's a UFA, you can't factor him into the trade.

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

First of all, these forums are for fun, and Benning does not review this one or anyone else's proposals before he goes to work...…...or pulls the trigger on a trade or signing

So, with out further a due, here is my proposal from an earlier thread, which would be interesting, and combines several proposals...…...

#1. Trade...………...Brock Boeser + Mike DiPietro      to      Minni      for      Zucker, 2019 1st (12 OA) + 2020 2nd

#2. Trade...………..Jason Zucker + Sven Baertschi 50% retained     to      EDM       for      2019 1st (8th OA)* ( may need additional asset to acquire EDM 2019 1st)

#1. UFA...………….Artemi Panarin………………….6 years @ 11 M per           Premier LW, a Driver, a goal Scorer, excellent speed

#2. UFA...………….Ryan Dzingel…………………...6 years @ 6.5 M per          Versitle LW/C/RW, good hands, speed, 200 ft game

#3. UFA...………….Erik Karlsson…………………....6 years @ 10 M per           Premier RHD, High IQ, excellent speed, excellent first pass

2019 - 2020 Team Depth                                                                                                          Prospects

LW          Panarin                 Persson              Roussel            Schaller          $17.750M                            Lievo             Goldobin          Spooner         Gadjovich

C            Pettersson             Horvat                Gaudette           Beagle            $10.500M                            Granlund        Motte               Madden

RW         Dzingel                  Sutter                 Virtanen            Eriksson         $18.000M                           MacEwen       Lind                 Jasek              Lockwood

LHD        Hughes                 Edler                   Hutton              Juolevi            $11.000M                            Brisebois        Sautner            Rathbone        Teves  

RHD       Karlsson                Tanev                  Stecher            Schenn           $18.000M                            Woo                Tryamkin          Rafferty           Eliot

G            Markstrom            Demko                                                                  $5.000M                            Kielly

========

Total          $80,250M

Additional Picks...…..4, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7...…………...………...…...……..These picks could be used to improve draft positions in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, albeit single digit moves

Now, yes it is a reach, to think 1st off, that we could sign 3 top UFA's, but it could happen, and yes it would be a reach to obtain those 2 extra firsts, but Boston had 3 1st in a row in 2015

which were (13, 14, and 15), and to manoeuvre into those spots took luck, but it is possible. These moves would set us up for years. Also of note, is the 2020 draft which is suppose to be a very strong draft, and which Vancouver would have picks up the Minnesota 2020 2nd . It would not be unreasonable to think we could have the following picks in 2020. In a very strong draft.

2020 -1st 18th OA

2020 - 2nd 40th OA

2020 - 2nd 47th OA

2020 - 3rd 80th OA

To me, this 2 year Overhaul plan, completes the rebuild, and with adding a possible 3 top end players, via the 2019 draft, along with 1 more, in the 2020 draft, the team is now, ready to move into the next decade, with a multitude of top end players. The loss of Boeser shocked the 2019 draft floor in Vancouver, and will keep Vancouver a buzz for years, but the assets added, plus the future core players, will keep Vancouver atop of the standings for along time...…….

Get the torch out!

NOT TRADING BOESER!

Why should we trade away an elite winger? If we would have plenty of them yes but besides Boeser there isn't much on the wing. 

Any Boeser for Zucker deal is a terrible idea in my opinion.   

The *only* way that I would even consider trading Boeser was if

1) We took on another established RW’er *AND* significantly moved up in the draft (I.e. Boeser + 10th for Toffoli and Byram).

Outside of that though, I see absolutely no purpose in trading such a good young asset in Boeser.

Any Boeser for Zucker deal should result in Benning getting fired on the spot.

9 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

No, jan it isn't. Read my previous post.

Also we don't get Dzingel out of this. He's a UFA, you can't factor him into the trade.

The trouble I have with CDC in general Pepe, is that they fall in love with their players and do not see their weaknesses...

Boeser is good, but has weaknesses, average speed, not a driver, average defensively...…….

I am not trolling, just merely pointing out, he is human, and not elite, still good, just not great...…..

It costs us, when we do not look at them as assets...…..I get what you are saying and your point is valid to the extent that you do not see it as a fair trade

I am good with that.....you very well may be right, and I like Boeser, but his cycle is not good, and he relies on his centerman to do the bulk of the work

I used Dzingel as Boeser's replacement, because the salaries would be similar, but the fact is, Panarin actually becomes the replacement, because he is a first line player, and replaces the scoring dynamic on the line, even though they are opposite wings. Panarin is grossly better than Boeser, and would instantly free up Pettersson.....something Boser does not have the ability to do......

But this is in a perfect world where I get to drop in an elite winger in where I want, without chance of not signing him, that is not reality, I get that...……..

So yes, we keep Boeser, and do not search out a trade such as suggested...…..a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

But, as a scenario, my trade makes us better...…...

Again, we are just having fun...which I was having...…...cheers!

49 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The trouble I have with CDC in general Pepe, is that they fall in love with their players and do not see their weaknesses...

Boeser is good, but has weaknesses, average speed, not a driver, average defensively...…….

I am not trolling, just merely pointing out, he is human, and not elite, still good, just not great...…..

It costs us, when we do not look at them as assets...…..I get what you are saying and your point is valid to the extent that you do not see it as a fair trade

I am good with that.....you very well may be right, and I like Boeser, but his cycle is not good, and he relies on his centerman to do the bulk of the work

I used Dzingel as Boeser's replacement, because the salaries would be similar, but the fact is, Panarin actually becomes the replacement, because he is a first line player, and replaces the scoring dynamic on the line, even though they are opposite wings. Panarin is grossly better than Boeser, and would instantly free up Pettersson.....something Boser does not have the ability to do......

But this is in a perfect world where I get to drop in an elite winger in where I want, without chance of not signing him, that is not reality, I get that...……..

So yes, we keep Boeser, and do not search out a trade such as suggested...…..a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

But, as a scenario, my trade makes us better...…...

Again, we are just having fun...which I was having...…...cheers!

Of course we are having fun! I appreciate the enthusiasm you bring here and enjoy reading your posts. 

I'll be the first to agree with you on Boesers skating. I've been saying for a while now that he isn't a great skater. In my opinion, that's the biggest obstacle holding him back from reaching that next tier. He has slow excelleration and average top speed. But let's be fair to Brock. It can take a young player a bit to adjust to the NHL speed. After suffering his back injury in his rookie year, he didn't have an offseason to work on his weaknesses. His agent (name is escaping me right now) was on SN650 a month or so back and had said that Brock has identified that skating was an issue for him and had hired a skating coach to work on exactly that.

I'm excited to see what a healthy Boeser can do after a healthy off season full of training. I think it would shortsighted to trade him now.

You are correct in the sense that he relies on his centerman to do the bulk of the work. Which isn't always a bad thing. I think that's why he works so well with Pettersson. Petey drives the play and likes to carry the puck, while Boeser is good at putting himself in the right areas to get a shot off. He's a great triggerman. 

I would way rather keep Boeser, add in the players you mentioned as UFA's and forget adding the picks. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Of course we are having fun! I appreciate the enthusiasm you bring here and enjoy reading your posts. 

I'll be the first to agree with you on Boesers skating. I've been saying for a while now that he isn't a great skater. In my opinion, that's the biggest obstacle holding him back from reaching that next tier. He has slow excelleration and average top speed. But let's be fair to Brock. It can take a young player a bit to adjust to the NHL speed. After suffering his back injury in his rookie year, he didn't have an offseason to work on his weaknesses. His agent (name is escaping me right now) was on SN650 a month or so back and had said that Brock has identified that skating was an issue for him and had hired a skating coach to work on exactly that.

I'm excited to see what a healthy Boeser can do after a healthy off season full of training. I think it would shortsighted to trade him now.

You are correct in the sense that he relies on his centerman to do the bulk of the work. Which isn't always a bad thing. I think that's why he works so well with Pettersson. Petey drives the play and likes to carry the puck, while Boeser is good at putting himself in the right areas to get a shot off. He's a great triggerman. 

I would way rather keep Boeser, add in the players you mentioned as UFA's and forget adding the picks. 

Cheers

Solid comments

As I said earlier, this is only for fun...……….but!

As identified, Brocks skating is a weakness to him being elite, not insurmountable, but it will take work, let's hope his work pays off!~

Now, here is why I see this being plausible...……..Pettersson is the driver on the line, and as you seen this year, as the season went on, Pettersson's play diminished as the season went on, due in part to a increased schedule, and playing against more aggressive and more tight checking opponents. 

What Pettersson will need to be an effective offensive weapon, is another driver on the line, so that he has more time and space. This is no where more evident than in the playoffs, where his slighter body will be punished if they can focus on just him, so another driver on the line is an absolute need, IMO, it will take so much pressure off of him.

Sliding over to my (Pie in the sky) proposal, it is perfect in a bubble (if not just a tad unrealistic), totally improves the team short term and long term. the picks alone, add 4-1sts in 2 years, which is directly in tune with our rebuild. That and  the addition of 3- 2nd rounders, ensure that Bennings biggest problem, will be much the same as what Tampa is facing, which is an abundance of riches, and which every team wished they had to deal with...….

In saying all that...……….it is just for fun, and to kill time as we wait for the draft and free agency.

17 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Solid comments

As identified, Brocks skating is a weakness to him being elite, not insurmountable, but it will take work, let's hope his work pays off!~

Now, here is why I see this being plausible...……..Pettersson is the driver on the line, and as you seen this year, as the season went on, Pettersson's play diminished as the season went on, due in part to a increased schedule, and playing against more aggressive and more tight checking opponents. 

What Pettersson will need to be an effective offensive weapon, is another driver on the line, so that he has more time and space. This is no where more evident than in the playoffs, where his slighter body will be punished if they can focus on just him, so another driver on the line is an absolute need, IMO, it will take so much pressure off of him.

Sliding over to my (Pie in the sky) proposal, it is perfect in a bubble (if not just a tad unrealistic), totally improves the team short term and long term. the picks alone, add 4-1sts in 2 years, which is directly in tune with our rebuild. That and  the addition of 3- 2nd rounders, ensure that Bennings biggest problem, will be much the same as what Tampa is facing, which is an abundance of riches, and which every team wished they had to deal with...….

In saying all that...……….it is just for fun, and to kill time as we wait for the draft and free agency.

hey mister.. here's a proposal

I think you should change your handle to 'Janisjustplainnuts' 

hee hee

it is fun to speculate tho..

JB doesn’t have much trade value to trade, but i’ld like him to trade for zucker to complete BO’s line. and trade for roland mckeown for rd depth. i don’t want them to move away from the rebuild. don’t take on any toxic contracts. stay the course.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:12 PM, janisahockeynut said:

LW          Panarin                 Persson              Roussel            Schaller          $17.750M                            Lievo             Goldobin          Gadjovich       (Spooner)

========

Total          $80,250M

Hi-Lited Players should all be gone, or on their way out in 2 Years (in trade or Free agency or retirement)

Markstrom (3.5), Edler (6), Tanev (4.5), Sutter (4.5), Eriksson (6), Schaller (2) Spooner(3) Total Salary out = Estimated Appox. 29.5 Million

Now, laugh if you must, but with an aggressive trade and draft season, we would be very well set for the future, in just one season, if we can get the UFA's to sign here.

And all of a sudden, LHD and Goaltending becomes our weakest positions...…..the key is not to offer up NTC's to the UFA's, especially in the last 2 seasons

Again...just having fun!

The team would have to try to match finalists over the last few years player to player; line by line

#1 lines

Boston = Marchand - Bergeron - Pasternak - Canucks may be able to equal on good days

StLouis = Taresenko - O'Rielly - Perron - Canucks should be able to equal

Canucks - Boeser - Horvat - Pettersson in another year or two.

The rest don't match up

Defence

St Louis

Pietrangelo - 6'3" - 220 - 29yrs

Parayko - 6'6" - 230 -25yrs

Edmundson - 6'4" - 215 - 25yrs

Bouwmeester - 6'4" - 206 - 35yrs

Bortuzzo - 6'4" - 216 - 29yrs

Gunnarsson - 6'2" - 198 - 32yrs

Butler - 6'1" - 196 - 32yrs

Schmaltz - 6'2" - 190 - 25yrs

DelZotto - 6'0" - 202 - 28yrs

Dunn - 6'0" - 202 - 22yrs old

Boston

Moore - 6'2" - 210 - 28yrs

McAvoy - 6'0" - 228 - 21yrs

Miller - 6'2" - 210 - 31yrs

Krug - 5'9" - 186 - 27yrs

Kamfer - 5'11" - 198 - 25yrs

Grzelcyk - 5'9" - 174 - 25yrs

Clifton - 5'11" - 175 - 23yrs

Carlo - 6'5" - 212 - 22yrs

Chara - 6'9" - 250 - 42yrs

Even between the two finalist's defenses there are very interesting similarities and vast differences.

One, size seems to matter for effectiveness and length of time playing from start to end of career.

Two, in the playoffs Boston has more injured, small defencemen than StLouis

Three, younger players are playing impact roles.

Four, clearly StLouis defence is handling Boston's forwards no scoring.

On 6/7/2019 at 2:47 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Solid comments

Don’t think your giving enough credit to what Boeser adds to the top line, when EP started to wear down, Boeser stepped up his game and had his best month in March where he was a PPG player as well as arguably our best player (ok maybe Markstrom was down the stretch too).   Skating is one of the easier skills to improve on, if Boeser dedicates himself to that the way he did his shooting....he could end up on another level entirely, both his 200 foot game and his ability to get open for scoring goals will improve.   I agree that EP is the driver on the line absolutely, but he also benifits by having such a capable finisher on his line.  Horvat tries to do it all himself often, and doesn’t use his linemates nearly as well as EP,  but look what happened to his game once he took his skating to the next level...has a beast mode in him.   Like to see the same thing happen to Boeser, at the very least we have a consistent 30 goal scorer....at best a perrenial Richard challenger.  Sign the guy already!

Archived